Competition team or RBS associates?

dancertaxi

Tricky. I would base it on what she enjoys most and what she wants to do in the future. If it's for fun only then whichever she most wants to do. If it's ballet she's serious about than JAS definitely. If serious about other dance then I would go for enjoyment again. Both options could be good preparation but ensure that the competition work is not overly intensive and possibly damaging.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, sarahw said:

There are other ways to get performance opportunities such as EYB.

Sooooo hard - dd loves competing - not to win necessarily but to be on stage, receive critique, and improve her routines - lots of thinking I think, competition team can be intense - gosh dance world is tough

If it's Ballet that your dd is serious about,definitely JAs.  The opportunity to work at RBS JA level is given to very few , I wouldn't waste it.

If your dd doesn't like it she can leave and of course she may not progress to MA so plenty of opportunity to go back to competition in the future if this turns out to be the case.

• Like 4

If you child wants to audition for the vocational schools, the autumn term in year 6 JA's is important because the focus seems to be on preparation for auditions. Joining in year 6, just a couple of months before auditions start, you can be a bit oblivious to this and miss lots of valuable information. Before you know it, the early auditions are all booked up and you haven't even bought the audition leotard.   

For the vocational ballet route, I'd say choose JA's and keep your ear to the ground right from the start! 

• Like 2

As others have said, if ballet is the priority then definitely JAs. And if ballet is the priority, the JA sessions will be very beneficial in the long run. Thankfully, dd never wanted to do festivals and we wouldn't have had the time anyway. 

• Like 1

Which does she enjoy?  There are so many associate programmes it doesn't have to be JA's or nothing.  And plenty get in to vocational schools (including WL) without having been a JA.  

I would go further - it can be you have not already been "pre-assessed," and are seen with a fresh set of eyes and no preconceptions.

• Like 1

All schools - even RBS - will allow some leeway for the occasional competition. They are less tolerant of you missing classes for holidays and birthday parties.

I think the key thing is... keep any disruption to a minimum and don't miss too many classes.