Bolshoi Ballet production "Nureyev"

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting cast of characters, but no Eric Bruhn......or Wallace Potts.......or Robert Tracy?  Oh well, it is Russia.

Ballets about dancers are rare as hens teeth, sincerely hope this one fares better than Isadora.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MAB said:

Interesting cast of characters, but no Eric Bruhn......

There is a character called Erik and since it's Rodkin in one of the casts I assume it's a significant role and, presumably, Erik Bruhn. 

Wow this sounds like a big production.  I can't wait to hear about it.  Gosh, how times have changed;  who would have thought just 40 years ago (or less) that the Bolshoi Ballet would be presenting a ballet about Rudolf Nureyev, in all (it would seem) his colourful glory!  For that reason alone, it deserves to succeed.  

Best of luck to the whole company!

• Like 4

Updated cast listing for Nureyev. http://www.bolshoi.ru/en/performances/1025/roles/#all Rodkin no longer listed for the Erik Bruhn role.  There may be other changes? Also, the names of two episodes have been changed to A Letter to Rudi. The Pupil and A Letter to Rudi. The Diva from I think Letter #1 and #2 respectively.  Any guess on who the Diva might be? Clearly a tall flexible beautiful ballerina since Zakarhova, Stepanova and Shipulina are listed in that role.  Sylvie Guillem? Makarova?

15 minutes ago, assoluta said:

Natalya Makarova isn't tall and, moreover, she requested to be left out of the script.

True, Makarova is short  -- I have stood next to her at the SF Ballet -- but somehow she has that elongated look anyway, even now. I think her legs must be quite long compared to her torso to give that impression. But that's a really interesting tidbit that she wasn't interested in being in the story! Any insights as to why?

I don't know Nureyev's story well enough to know which divas he had important relationships with other than Fonteyn and to I believe a lesser degree, Guillem, and of course both of those were in his post-Russia days.  Perhaps this role is of a ballerina who was important to him while he was in Russia?  An early partner or teacher? 

8 hours ago, Lexy said:

True, Makarova is short  -- I have stood next to her at the SF Ballet -- but somehow she has that elongated look anyway, even now. I think her legs must be quite long compared to her torso to give that impression. But that's a really interesting tidbit that she wasn't interested in being in the story! Any insights as to why?

Sense of dignity?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Lexy said:

I don't know Nureyev's story well enough to know which divas he had important relationships with other than Fonteyn and to I believe a lesser degree, Guillem, and of course both of those were in his post-Russia days.  Perhaps this role is of a ballerina who was important to him while he was in Russia?  An early partner or teacher? 

The dancer most important to him in Russia was Dudinskaya. He also danced a lot with Alla Sizova, someone he detested, she also shared a flat with him. 

During his career he must have danced with scores of dancers as he appeared with so many companies, apart from Fonteyn I think he had a couple of favourites but never formed a partnership with anyone that was so significant.  His two occasional Russian partners post defection were Makarova and Panova and both claimed not to have enjoyed the experience of dancing with him.

His teacher was famously Pushkin though he had a woman teacher before the Kirov, don't think she could be described as a diva though.

5 hours ago, assoluta said:

Nureyev postponed.

What a pity. I see Igor Tsvirko - one of the Nureyevs - has posted a picture on instagram with the single word "Shock". The many comments on it, in Russian, seem to be expressing sadness, disappointment, concern and support. Clearly there's a "story" - let's hope Monday's briefing will throw some light. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

It seems very odd given that the premiere was scheduled for Tuesday.

Yesterday Trump and Putin apparently agreed not to meddle in the internal affairs of each others nation.  Today Putin orders repressive censorship of the arts based on his dislike of the subject matter. Very odd indeed but not totally unexpected.  :(

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Lexy said:

Yesterday Trump and Putin apparently agreed not to meddle in the internal affairs of each others nation.  Today Putin orders repressive censorship of the arts based on his dislike of the subject matter. Very odd indeed but not totally unexpected.  :(

Why the censorship? I am finding it difficult to translate the Instagram comment threads from the dancers' accounts. Is it due to the people involved in creating the ballet (one of them is facing criminal charges??) or some content (one of the dancers playing Erik dropped out before it all was canceled??) or... whatever it is, the dancers feel free enough to comment on it. I just can't understand what they are saying. :unsure:

Serebrennikov (director/libretist working with Possokhov as on Hero of Our Time) was recently questioned regarding misuse of funds at his Gogol Center Theater, though he was supposedly not himself under investigation at that time. Urin spoke publically on his behalf too. People in the arts world (those on social media at any rate) think he and his theater are being harassed because the government does not like what they are doing. I have NO idea if this has anything to do with the Bolshoi production's postponement.

Edited by DrewCo

1 hour ago, DrewCo said:

Serebrennikov (director/libretist working with Possokhov as on Hero of Our Time) was recently questioned regarding misuse of funds at his Gogol Center Theater, though he was supposedly not himself under investigation at that time. Urin spoke publically on his behalf too. People in the arts world (those on social media at any rate) think he and his theater are being harassed because the government does not like what they are doing. I have NO idea if this has anything to do with the Bolshoi production's postponement.

These events could have been intended as a warning to Serebrennikov to tone it (Nureyev) down. Financial stings have been reportedly used by the Russian government in recent years to modify undesirable behavior.  

From Russian newspaper reports (easier to translate!), it seems the official line is that the ballet was not "ready" but sources are saying that the ballet was cancelled due to its LGBT content. The ballet depicts the Nureyev-Bruhn relationship (it seems even their letters are read aloud); there is a scene in the "Bois de Boulogne" part of the ballet with male corps dancers as transvestites; and Forbes (Russia) has an image of the scenery that is NSFW (i.e., projected images of Nureyev's nude photo shoot). Very bold for the Bolshoi!!! I hope another company is able to perform this production. I imagine it could have a place at POB or another LGBT-friendly company (maybe in Sweden with its new director?).

Edited by lull
Boulogne, not Bologna

This from Anna Okuneva (@call_me_perch on Instagram) is very sad.  The Google translation seems to say that this is a video of the close of the last runthrough of Nureyev. (Perhaps someone literate in Russian could provide a proper translation?) I'm pretty sure that at the end she says, "But now I understand Rudolph. I understand why he decided to give up his land, relatives, from home. He chose freedom, which we do not have."

Edited by Lexy

Vladislav Lantratov posted his disappointment on Facebook.  I really admire all the dancers who have the guts to post their opinions in public.  They are getting loads of support from all over the world. Sadly, it probably won't make any difference. 

• Like 5

Article in the Guardian, although the authors aren't named. This is pretty sad.

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2017/jul/09/shock-as-bolshoi-cancels-world-premiere-of-nureyev-ballet

"Russia’s Bolshoi theatre has announced the cancellation of next week’s world premiere of a ballet about Russian dance legend Rudolf Nureyev, staged by an outspoken director who has been questioned in a high-profile criminal investigation.

[...]

"Serebrennikov has fallen out of favour with Russia’s cultural authorities in recent years and has denounced increasing censorship of the arts. Supporters of Mr Serebrennikov reportedly said his questioning was politically motivated."

Edited by alison
Reduced size of quote to comply with forum guidelines

4 hours ago, betterankles said:

It's really odd that Yuri Possokhov, unless I am totally wrong, who is the choreographer of this piece, is nowhere credited anywhere it talks of the cancelled production of 'Nureyev'....  

Reminds me of when, a few years ago, the Bolshoi brought 'Declan Donnellan's Romeo & Juliet' to London with little mention of politkaru the actual choreographer..  Perhaps the Russians like work where the major hand is that of the producer. 

Edited by MAB
Spelling error