Music for auditions

balletmum13

Hi everyone,

My dd has her audition for Tring soon. She has choreographed a dance to a song that you found on YouTube. When she looked on ITunes to purchase the song it was very different to the song she had used. She was very upset as she says she won't be able to make a new dance in time.

Can you use a song from YouTube in the audition? Or, is there a way to convert the video?

Thanks xx

Yes definitely do a Google search for YouTube to mp3 converter. There are loads of free sites and it should take seconds. If you try to play the song direct from YouTube in the audition there's always the risk of poor signal/buffering!

You definitely can do it, if in doubt, ask a teenager! ????

(Edited to add smiley)

DS did it for me the other week when DD found a track she wanted to dance to in YouTube that we couldn't find anywhere else! I couldn't do it, but he did it in a blink of an eye!

• Like 1

Can confirm that this is very very easy, even for technophobes!

The thing that worries me about it is copyright - if the music is purchased from iTunes or Amazon or wherever, then there is at least a trail that says ' I have bought this music'. Simply 'taking' it from Youtube seems to me to be more dubious! Anyone have any clue about the ins and outs of this?

(Meant to say that I use a Youtube to MP3 converter, found by Google search. You just drop the URL of the Youtube video into the box and it converts it into a downloadable MP3. I then use Audacity to edit if needed, before burning onto a CD)

I do only do it if I can't find a purchasable or directly downloadable version anywhere.

• 5 months later...

Bumping this as I have a related question.

I just read the rules for an upcoming festival.  There, it states:

"Music must be a legitimate copy if you copy music from YouTube or illegally download it will not work on theatre system due to copyright software."

We have three numbers.  Two of the songs are from cd's/downloads I've purchased.  The third is a YouTube download because it's an old song and not available on download (that I can find).  All three songs have been cut by a sound engineer friend to make them the right length.

I'm very concerned about this copyright software.  I've written to both the organisers of the festival, and also to my sound engineer friend, but haven't heard back yet.  I'm stressing out that the songs will be considered illegal and I don't want any drama for my daughter's first competition.  Would the sound engineers' files be considered legal downloads?

Can anyone advise me?
Thank you :)

With old songs that aren't on iTunes, it can be worth having a look for it on CD on eBay and doing a download from there.

I'm having similar issues with backing tracks for singing. I've had to do a YouTube download as I just can't find it anywhere else in the right tempo/key and without vocals, but I do worry a bit. The venue it's needed for are also being utterly hopeless and can't even tell me what format they need it in so I imagine copyright and performance fees for music aren't even on their radar.

I can't see how the festival people will be able to tell what is bought and what isn't from a file done by a sound engineer - can the person who did the cutting reassure you on this? It may just be that they don't want people turning up with unprofessional sounding downloads.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xanthe said:

With old songs that aren't on iTunes, it can be worth having a look for it on CD on eBay and doing a download from there.

I'm having similar issues with backing tracks for singing. I've had to do a YouTube download as I just can't find it anywhere else in the right tempo/key and without vocals, but I do worry a bit. The venue it's needed for are also being utterly hopeless and can't even tell me what format they need it in so I imagine copyright and performance fees for music aren't even on their radar.

I can't see how the festival people will be able to tell what is bought and what isn't from a file done by a sound engineer - can the person who did the cutting reassure you on this? It may just be that they don't want people turning up with unprofessional sounding downloads.

I've asked my sound engineer - he thought it sounded like an empty threat.  That the id codes on the music are often lost during editing, plus some illegal downloads still regain their legal codes.  How can some sound tech guy police hundreds of songs during a competition?  I just hate the idea of getting in there and having our music rejected.  

I found another version of the song available for download, but it's not quite the same tempo and I don't want to screw up her timing (it's a fast tap number).  Another version of the song is a live version off a concert album, complete with clapping and audience noise :(   So barring that, I found the original group on Facebook... should I write to them directly and ask permission? (it's an acapella group from the 90s but they are still touring).

Next time I'll sort this first before rehearsals, but just making sure we take care of this before drama ensues.  

Does anyone else have experiences with this?