Although from 2010, I am posting this as a new topic, following some discussion within the McGregor mixed bill thread. Here is a clip of Kim Brandstrup talking about his intentions in creating this work, with glimpses of Leanne Benjamin and Edward Watson in rehearsal: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zw9MZceVa1E

I thought that this work had been created on Benjamin and Watson, but would be interested to know if Brandstrup originally made this on other dancers, as he did in part with Ceremony of Innocence before it was staged at the ROH.

I can't remember the exact circumstances but I see I wrote at the time that although Cojocaru and Kobborg were the planned first cast "they withdrew during the last weeks of rehearsal" . Also I see that Invitus Invitam came top of the ballet.co poll in the Best New Production category that year.

• Like 1

I thought that Cojocaru was injured, and Kobborg then withdrew as well, but I could be wrong.  I remember that insight evening: it was fascinating.

As I think I said in the other thread, it was originally cast 4 performances for C/K and only 2 for B/W.  Although I was sorry to miss C/K in it, I was delighted that the other cast got so many performances of it, because their interpretations really deepened as the run went on (I think it was on a bill with Winter Dreams, and I saw almost every performance?)

Incidentally, IIRC Brandstrup said that he choreographed it differently for the two couples.  Can anyone confirm?

• Like 1

You might be thinking of another work, Rushes, which he did for the Royal Ballet in 2008.  There were wo casts then (one with Cojocaru) and I recall interviews at the time where he said he had adapted it differently for the two casts.  The dynamic between the individual dancers involved was certainly different in performance. Details here:

http://kimbrandstrup.org/project/rushes_fragments_of_a_lost_story_kim_brandstrup