Damp-proof storage?

alison

Wow, exciting topic here :), but I was wondering if anyone here had any experience of damp-proof storage, maybe cupboards or crates that you might use to store paperwork, computer equipment and so on in e.g. a loft, garage or garden shed without everything going mouldy or crinkly?  I'm told you can line the actual buildings to make them damp-proof, but that might be a bit extreme!

You cat buy silica gel from Amazon - 50 packets for under a tenner. There are also come cartridges for use in larger areas. When they change colour you bake them or nuke them in the microwave and you can reuse them.

• Like 1

Well, I've kept paperwork in our loft for nearly 20 years.  It is not even in boxes with lids; just those boxes that stack one on top of the other. Not a hint of mildew to be seen.  I do live in a terraced house though, with a south facing roof.  Maybe that makes a difference.

In the past, I have used those airtight vacuum bags for various things, without any problems.  I think you can get vacuum boxes which work on the same principle. 

Edited by Fonty

I'm thinking airtight will be hard to achieve unless you buy a vacuum pack and sealer unit. Plastic storage containers although have secure lids are not going to be totally airtight.

Husband has a load of documents stored in cardboard boxes in garage that have been there years ~ 25. Mice have shredded the towels and newspaper I store in emergency hedgehog rescue box but haven't touched his documents. They look tedious to me and obviously to the local mice too.

• Like 6

Yorkshire Pud can you get those things to work? My attempts always fail. I used to store duvets, coats etc in them and slowly over a number of weeks the bags expand having let air in. The bag is then wedged on top of a wardrobe or under a bed and requires mammoth effort to remove.

Yorkshire Pud can you get those things to work? My attempts always fail. I used to store duvets, coats etc in them and slowly over a number of weeks the bags expand having let air in. The bag is then wedged on top of a wardrobe or under a bed and requires mammoth effort to remove.

I have used them, and I never had them expand to that extent.  I put our entire wardrobe in several of these when we were renting our house out for two years, and our clothes survived with no problems. However, I have heard other people say that repeated use causes the seal to become less efficient.

If the contents are not going to be swimming in water, the only other cheap method that I can think of are the sort of waterproof bags used by sailors and watersports people for protecting their belongings.  I've never used one, so cannot recommend anything. 

Edited by Fonty

• 6 years later...

(diynot.com seems to fit the bill reasonably nicely :) )

My latest search: fairly large, damp-proof/dirt-proof storage for stuff - including paper products - in in a garage.  Any suggestions welcome.

Is the garage yours and does it have an electric socket?  If so I recommend getting a dehumidifier.  We store a huge amount of stuff, including books and ballet programmes in our garage (there's just enough room to squeeze a car in as well) and the humidifier does a wonderful job of keeping damp at bay.  Dirt-proof containers are easier to obtain when damp is no longer a problem.  Good luck.  I also recommend decluttering, or I would if only we could get round to doing it ourselves ...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...