progress/feedback/growth spurts

balletmummy

This is a wonderful and fascinating forum-thank you all!

Here's another question for all you wise and experienced balletcoers (if there is such a word!)...

Dd is an Associate and the only feedback we get is an end of year report..which is great but it seems a bit late to leave feedback til the summer holidays! We recently took one of my dcs for a pre pointe assessment and one of the things I learned is that when dd/ds is having a growth spurt, their dance teachers should know so that the intensity of their training is reduced at that time. Dd has been an associate for 2 years but I had no idea I should have been informing the teachers of growth spurts...not sure they would appreciate me taking up their time to tell them every time dd has one!

which got me thinking...how do your dcs schools inform you of progress and development and things to work on? 

Hope I'm not opening up a can of worms here!

Thanks all!

which got me thinking...how do your dcs schools inform you of progress and development and things to work on?

Hope I'm not opening up a can of worms here!

Thanks all!

They don't! DC report was all very positive and mentioned things improved on but no specific things to work on.

I'm not sure I would know now when my DC is having a growth spurt...think it was obvious when they were much younger but much more subtle now.

Often good teachers who know their pupils well will be able to tell when they are having a growth spurt. There are several tell tale signs such as changes to balance and co-ordination, decrease in flexibility etc. I wouldn't say that training should be vastly decreased during a growth spurt, per se, but that expectations of progress should take the growth spurt into account so that a frustrated young person is reassured that a perceived decrease in ability is only temporary. I do agree however that training during the growth spurt should focus on consolidating and maintaining technique rather than pushing a dancer to learn more advanced skills. A good teacher can modify his/her class to ensure that becomes the focus for any pupils at that stage, without 'holding back' any other pupils.

• Like 1

Ballet mummy we have had varied feedback from Associate programmes ranging from none to 2 written reports a year. And I'm sure they would answer specific questions if asked. RBS gave you email access also. I know it feels 'pushy' to ask too many q's.

At my dd school most feedback comes in private lessons.

I've never commented on growth spurts.

Edited by sarahw
  • Like 1

DD's teacher has recently noticed that she has been having a growth spurt as it is quite noticeable! She has told DD to lower her leg a little in her developes, focus lots on balance as she has lost much of it due to write body not being exactly in proportion. She has also told her not to panic if she seems as if stretches she used to be able to do easily now make a her feel a stretch.

Hope this helps!!

• Like 1

DD's been on associate programmes with no formal feedback and then on her CAT programme with 2 1:1 tutorials per year and 2 written reports which have the agreed areas to work on and a full appraisal of both good and not so good areas.  Think it's the luck of the draw really.  I have never been asked about growth spurts though and have never advised any associate programme of such.  DD will tell me when she's growing as her balance goes a little, however I don't think her training has ever been altered to accommodate this.

My dd is also on a CAT scheme. The teacher tells the students when they are having a growth spurt and everyone has their training adjusted accordingly. Especially when growth spurts are accompanied by knee and hip pains. Injury prevention is key.

A real watch out is for asymmetrical growth where one leg is temporarily longer than the other. We learned this the hard way with a hamstring injury that saw my dd in A&E in absolute agony. The physio confirmed the cause and said she had been very unlucky. It took over a year to put everything right. Would not want anyone else to experience this.

A real watch out is for asymmetrical growth where one leg is temporarily longer than the other. We learned this the hard way with a hamstring injury that saw my dd in A&E in absolute agony. The physio confirmed the cause and said she had been very unlucky. It took over a year to put everything right. Would not want anyone else to experience this.

My daughter experienced this too - her only 'pain' symptom was discomfort in her shoulder blade area but when she was looked at by the schools physio, she also had a slight curvature of her spine which thankfully was rectified once her growth levelled out. I would never have expected a shoulder pain to be caused by an asymmetrical growth spurt in the legs!