I apologise for being late, but I guess as the Swiss member of the forum I should finally give a review of Alexei Ratmansky's Swan Lake reconstruction.

I was lucky enough to have tickets for the Premiere, and I have to say it was a wonderful performance by Viktorina Kapitonova. Alexander Jones was also very nice and was a great Prince Siegfried too. The movements were very feminine, and the circus-like acrobatics of modern versions was replaced by the story of Maidens rather than swans, and faster, lower, more natural movements by the main characters.

The italian style was very much welcomed by the Zurich Crowds, and there were some tears at the very dramatic (not happy) ending. The evening passed like a beautiful fairy tale as was Ratmansky's Sleeping Beauty. 

All performances are sold out, though I am sure there will be tickets at La Scala, where Ms Zakharova will no longer be guesting, instead the Principals of the italian company will dance it. Maybe this is a sign of a change in direction at La Scala, which I imagine will have a big impact on ticket sales.

The costumes were delightful and you can see the photographs and summary of reviews on Ms Kapitonova's personal website here  The FT gave the performance 5 stars :)

The trailer has been posted on another thread, but the direct youtube video is here

• Like 3

Thanks for that review and the links, SBF. It looks really lovely. Maybe the RB should just take that one as its new version!! :)

Actually, Laura Capelle has written her review in Dance Magazine for March and said exactly the same thing. Interestingly though, in an interview he gave, Mr Ratmansky said that the stepanov notations were offered as a gift to both Royal Ballet and the Mariinsky in the 1960's (i think) but they both refused them as they were happy with their versions.

• Like 1

Thank you for the review SBF, I am quite envious!  The trailer of the show looks great - I like the costume designs too.  I very much hope I get a chance to see this at some point preferably in Zurich or Milan.

• Like 1

I'm not so sure that the male Royal Ballet principals (and their fans) would be so happy with this Swan Lake, as the prince has just one and a half variation in the black pdd, a bit of partnering, much walking, much sitting and an awful lot of mime. Even Benno might have had more steps.

• Like 1

I'm not so sure that the male Royal Ballet principals (and their fans) would be so happy with this Swan Lake, as the prince has just one and a half variation in the black pdd, a bit of partnering, much walking, much sitting and an awful lot of mime. Even Benno might have had more steps.

And what a waste of Alex Jones! (although I'm sure he did all that beautifully)

• Like 3

Yes....it's probably about time Zurich Ballet made a trip to the UK!

Actually Zurich Ballet were at the Edinburgh Festival last year dancing Wayne McGregor's work he made for them. It was given a 5 star review by The Guardian

It would be great for them to visit London, though, i wonder what reception the ticket buying public would have for a 'lesser house' ;)

It would largely depend on the venue. If they went to Sadlers' Wells they would probably sell out. If they went to the Coli they probably wouldn't. However, it would largely depend on advertising and PR prior to their visit.

• Like 2