How class has changed over the centuries

Kate_N

What a lovely piece - thank you for posting it!  Fascinating!  Those slow, slow plies etc reminded me of a disastrous class that we had with a very beloved teacher.  She was heavily pregnant and obviously feeling grotty, so she kept us on the barre the whole lesson working over and over again to correct minute details.  However, we adored her so much, that none of us were cross with her - on the contrary we were full of sympathy for her, because we were sure that she must be feeling really bad to have been so mean to us!

I actually weirdly love barre so I think I would have loved that class. Painful but so good when you feel your technique improving. A Russian class I took wa a bit like that, very slow build up at the barre. It was great. No 16 count plies though, I'm not sure I could have managed that!

• Like 4

I just tried doing everything in sixteen counts. The plies absolutely cane. I hope my teacher either doesn't see this or changes her mind.I'm still sore two days later. Mind you, that might be because Amylabrador and Tessadog piled on top of me when I tried to do floor exercises last night! Tessa actually sat on my head and shoulders!:(

• Like 3