Absence

Sheila Beelam

Hi all

I'm afraid I'm one of the members who only really looks at Doing Dance and for the past year I've not been dancing and so have not been around the forum, but after a chance call from one of the members today, I realised how much I missed you all!

I've got a frozen shoulder, as a result of a minor shoulder op and so had been unable to take class for what seemed like forever. I had to miss taking my Adv 1 exam in the last sitting for the old RAD syllabus, and quite frankly was rather fed up with my failing old bones :D

But, after a year of moving to another part of the country and setting up a second ballet shop, I was lucky enough to have an RAD class open at the end of my road - the only adult classes they did were beginners and Adv 1 (new syllabus) Well, I took that as a sign and dragged my leotard out of the back of my wardrobe and sloped off to beginners class. My left arm could reach 90 degrees to the front and side, at this point, so I was feeling flexible compared to the last year - no movement to the back though! 

Having been with my previous dance teacher for 20 years, it was strange taking class with a different teacher and strange also not being able to put my arms in 5th! I muddled through and eventually tackled the Adv 1 class and although I am still lop-sided, I am definitely "defrosting" and a loving being back at ballet again!

Yes, it's frustrating, but I know I will fully recover eventually, and this is just a hobby for me, not my livelihood! It makes me appreciate how fragile a dancer's body and career is. Look after yourselves!!!

Sx

• Like 15

Sorry to hear you have been struggling with your shoulder. We missed you when we came to the Southend shop last time, although your colleague did a good fitting job. Hope the new business is going well and it will be good to have you back on the forum a bit more . Xx

• Like 1

Sheila, have look into trigger point therapy - good books on Amazon. It was a life saver for me when my shoulder locked 18 months ago and I use it with all my clients to great effect. A tennis ball is my best friend and travels everywhere with me.

• Like 1

Sheila, have look into trigger point therapy - good books on Amazon. It was a life saver for me when my shoulder locked 18 months ago and I use it with all my clients to great effect. A tennis ball is my best friend and travels everywhere with me.

Thanks Harwel, will do. I had lots of physio following my op but I think it just aggravated my recovery, possibly triggering the frozen shoulder. However, I'm not defrosting as quickly as I'd like, so I'll certainly look into it, thank you  :)

• Like 1