RIP Lemmy

Jan McNulty

Lemmy, the founder of Motorhead and previous member of Hawkwind has passed away at the age of 70.  Although I was not a Motorhead aficionado, I did see him with Hawkwind.  He had enormous stage presence and was a great bassist.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-24806076

Sincere condolences to his family and friends.

• Like 2

I also saw Hawkwind, back in 1977! The BBC used to film 'In Concert' at my college (Queen Mary) because it had one of the London's largest stages. Not sure if Lemmy was still with them back then.

I am not a Motorhead aficionado either, but Lemmy was, like Keith Richards, reaching National Treasuredom just for surviving as long as he has after a lifetime of self-abuse. He always seemed like a lovely man, so I hope that he is up there shaking up heaven! RIP Lemmy.

• Like 3

Very sad news indeed, I saw Motörhead in 2005 and they we fantastic and LOUD!! According to the official Motörhead Facebook page he only discovered he had a very aggressive form of cancer on 26th December, must be a very hard time for his family and friends to loose him so quickly after finding out. My thoughts go out to all those that loved him, RIP Lemmy.

• Like 2

And he'd only turned 70 on Christmas Eve! Knowing Lemmy, he's probably been suffering from symptoms for ages but didn't go to a doctor until he absolutely had to. I hope he wasn't in pain for too long before diagnosis, and if not this was mercifully quick.

• Like 4