Romanian National Ballet mixed bill DSCH (Ratmansky) + The Dream (Ashton)

I've just commented over the years how many of the Royal Ballet's Oberons have graduated from performing one of the Rude Mechanicals, that's all.  Okay, he's not a member of the company any more, but he was when he was dancing RMs.

I've just commented over the years how many of the Royal Ballet's Oberons have graduated from performing one of the Rude Mechanicals, that's all.  Okay, he's not a member of the company any more, but he was when he was dancing RMs.

Do you mean Trzensimiech? I didn't remember he was one of them...I would expect them to be more demi-carachter type dancers, so clearly not his case: maybe it was just a gap to fill.

I remember somebody (Kobborg?) saying that in RDB, in Napoli, a dancer starts as a child on the bridge and ends decades later as a on old citizen, dancing every role in the between: maybe The Dream is the RB version of that

Most of the Rude Mechanicals over the last twenty plus years have had far too much of a good time in those roles. They come so far forward that you would think that their mothers were in the front row of the stalls and they fail to perform their primary function of distracting the audience and masking Bottom's transformation.But as no one responsible for staging revivals bothers to go up into the Amphi no one notices.

Edited by FLOSS
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...