Crystal Ballet - Masterclass in Birmingham

webfoot

Crystal Ballet are holding a Swan Lake masterclass in Birmingham, at the BRB studios, in November. Details can be found here:

http://crystalballet.com/index.php/event/crystal-ballet-birmingham-ladies-masterclass.html

I have no affiliation with Crystal Ballet but the day is being organised by Silvia Jimenez, formerly a soloist with both Stuttgart Ballet and BRB, currently teaching at the Dance Xchange in Birmingham, which is where I take classes.

Silvia is an excellent teacher and the rep coaching is by Jenna Roberts, BRB principal.

It's not very often we get this sort of event in the Midlands, so please do come along and support.

• Like 3

That is my understanding, but I suggest you contact Crystal Ballet directly to confirm this. As it is a "Ladies" class then I would assume 18+, I guess there would be no issue for a student a little younger than this, but I don't know.

• 3 weeks later...

Morning all,

I can confirm that at the moment we are adult-only I'm afraid. Its less to do with the CRB requirement for the teachers as they usually have one and we could easily organise one if they don't. Its actually because any under-18's would mean all of the other adult attendees would have to be CRB checked too which as I'm sure you can understand would be a logistical nightmare!

We currently have a pre-christmas, end-of-term offer code that gives 10% off the price. Just put "COURSE10" into the code box at checkout:

http://crystalballet.com/index.php/event/crystal-ballet-birmingham-ladies-masterclass.html

Thank you!

PICKFORD WINTER CLASSES

*Additional date added

2nd, 3rd and 4th January 2016

Venue: Dancexchange, Thorp Street. (Walking distance from New Street Station)

Age range -10 years upwards.

Ideal for anyone auditioning for either vocational schools, companies or are presently at vocational school or who just simply loves ballet.

10-11.15am Ballet Group 1 (15 years up) Errol Pickford

10-11.15am Ballet Group 2 ( 10-14 years)

Olivia Pickford

11.30-Jazz Class-Olivia Pickford

PRICE- Ballet is £10 per class

Jazz is £8 per class

Pay on the door.

• Like 1

I'm not going to be able to attend this p[articular workshop, but to be honest, I'm quite glad that there are workshops for adult dancers. Their needs for teaching, and ways of working are quite different from that of teenagers. And in my experience, when young teens/children are in adult classes, it can be a very different atmosphere - and not always one that helps adults.

There are many many more opportunities for young dancers than for adults; it seems only fair to welcome the few opportunities developed specifically for adults.

• Like 2

Hi Crystal Ballet

It looks like a nice Masterclass / Workshop in a really nice venue, the price is very attractive too even without the discount. But as always I’m curious about its content:

1) Solo from act2 I guess can only be Odette’s solo that follows the Big Swan dance.

2) Perhaps you can elaborate which scene(s) are being taught for Swans rep.

3) However having a whole half hour allocated to Q & A seems a little odd, especially as it’s at the end of the event. Of all the workshops and Intensives I’ve attended, I don’t think I have experience a Q &A session at the end, usually the closing session is the final run-though in performance mode for videoing of the event, and some times with friends and family watching. However I am aware some establishments don’t permit this, like the Royal Opera House.

Edited by Michelle_Richer
  • Like 1

I'm not going to be able to attend this p[articular workshop, but to be honest, I'm quite glad that there are workshops for adult dancers. Their needs for teaching, and ways of working are quite different from that of teenagers. And in my experience, when young teens/children are in adult classes, it can be a very different atmosphere - and not always one that helps adults.

There are many many more opportunities for young dancers than for adults; it seems only fair to welcome the few opportunities developed specifically for adults.

Yes definitely, there are fewer opportunities for adult dancers, and I welcome them too (although I am about as far from being a dancer as you can get!).

The teenagers I was referring to in my post though weren't young teens/children but mature, sensible young adults 16+ in full-time vocational training who often need additional classes during holidays to keep their hand in and who thoroughly enjoy the opportunity to take class with the grown-ups :)

• Like 1

Thats interesting Picturesinthefirelight.... I thought that was the case. I'll investigate more. However I am keen to keep it as adult based as possible, Kate_N is absolutely right - there are loads of kids ballet courses and classes and adults can feel a bit self-conscious being in a room full of kids.

Michelle, I'm glad you think the price is about right, its very difficult to judge and its easy to make it too expensive and put people off.

1) The solo is the solo following big swans - you're right

2) Swans rep will be "entrance of the swans" and if there's time also "leaving the lake" and possibly even a bit of cygnets and big swans depending on height of participant.

3) a 30 minute Q&A is a big favourite of ours in fact its usually not enough time. In my experience the adults who are attending the course are so keen to know more about a dancer's life that the time flys by. The day is taught by BRB principal Jenna Roberts so I'm sure she'll be inundated...

• Like 1

Absolutely crystal. But I think many 16/17 year olds (who are often living away from home at this point in a more uni type environment also feel self conscious in kids classes becsuse they identify more as adults.

There are no laws or rules as such other than organisations have to ensure they do not employ anyone who is unsuitable to work with children or vulnerable adults. (A DBS disclosure being the best way to do this)

Only members of staff with unsupervised access to children need the DBS so other class members or adult members of a dance/theatre company putting on a show don't need a DBS only the person actually teaching/supervising the young person. Anyone who is only ever with a child under supervision does not need one.

• Like 4

CrystalBallet, something that would be really helpful in general is guidance on required level of ballet for attendees. Having danced various bits of Swan Lake in the past it was attractive. Also, I would especially have wanted to participate in order to encourage more events outside London. However, being on the 'incompetent thirtysomething numbskull' end of the ballet spectrum. I wasn't sure whether it was ok to sign up so I hesitated! :-)

• Like 1

PICKFORD WINTER CLASSES

*Additional date added

2nd, 3rd and 4th January 2016

Venue: Dancexchange, Thorp Street. (Walking distance from New Street Station)

Age range -10 years upwards.

Ideal for anyone auditioning for either vocational schools, companies or are presently at vocational school or who just simply loves ballet.

10-11.15am Ballet Group 1 (15 years up) Errol Pickford

10-11.15am Ballet Group 2 ( 10-14 years)

Olivia Pickford

11.30-Jazz Class-Olivia Pickford

PRICE- Ballet is £10 per class

Jazz is £8 per class

Pay on the door.

Do you have contact details to register for these classes or do students just turn up on the day? Thanks

The Crystal Ballet masterclass in Birmingham was really excellent, if exhausting. I felt like I was dying after the end of the barre work but managed to complete the whole day and enjoyed myself so very much. My fitness levels are currently down due to minor health issues and I did wonder if I was being over ambitious too soon, but it was so much fun that I didn't want to hold anything back in reserve.

Silvia's class was of a high standard, as usual and Jenna's coaching in the rep was excellent. Both were looking for the detail but so very encouraging as well. They seemed to enjoy the day as well.

The Q&A session at the end was also really interesting. Great insights to the tricks of performing.

Thank you Crystal Ballet and especially many thanks to Silvia and Jenna. Can't wait for the next one - hopefully I will be back to full fitness.

• Like 2