Cleaning pointe shoes

thewinelake

I note that the "traditional" way to clean pointe shoes is with the rather dangerous carbon tetrachloride as formerly used in dry cleaners.

I think I may have a go with isopropyl alcohol (as used in products like Dylon's Dry Clean stain remover, also known as rubbing alcohol).

Unless someone quickly(ish) screams "don't do it!"

I also note that Gaynor Mindens are quite as averse to water as traditional shoes.

I might make a video of this!

Edited by thewinelake

I don't think I would go anywhere near any type of pointe show with alcohol. I would have concerns about interactions between the alcohol and the glues or plastics. If you really feel the need I would try it on an old shoe.

• Like 1

The only time I've heard of alcohol being used on pointe shoes, it is to soften/loosen/stretch the satin for comfort when a dancer has a bunion. I agree with Jane, if cleaning alone is required, loosening and softening the wing or the box may be an unwanted and unwelcome side effect.

This is quite fascinating...

I rang Gaynor Minden and they said that nobody had ever asked before! The girl I spoke to said I shouldn't put them in a washing machine and then suggested "spot cleaning with a wet towel" before saying "well, I suppose it would be like cleaning anything in satin". So I thought an Internet search might help.

Here's one example where Vodka is the suggested cleaning method: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=233841

So Propan-2-ol would be quite similar to that in chemical properties. Clearly one would have to go gently and try and restrict the solvent to the surface of the fabric.

Edited by thewinelake

My daughter's old ballet teacher suggested cleaning with surgical spirit.We never found it very effective.Generally DD uses Calamine lotion 'smeared' all over the shoes which she prefers, as Bluebird22 said, it is meant to blend in with the tights and give an illusion of a longer leg!

Personally I am always most put out after spending a lot of money on new shoes to have them immediately desecrated not only with this but also sewing on of ribbons, and bashing on whatever is available to break them in! Such is life!

• Like 4

Mmm... Thought I'd already replied again to this, but it would appear not...

Just to report that I had a go with a bit of Vodka and, slightly impatient at the lack of clear results splashed on some of the Dylon Dry-Cleaning stain remover (the previously mentioned isopropyl alcohol, AKA propan-2-ol). Seems to have helped some...