How do you know if a finishing school is a right fit?

balletsoccermom

How much time do you need to give your dd to decide whether or not a school is the right fit?  My dd is coming off the heels of a really good summer intensive where she was also invited to study year round.  She enjoyed the classes, the teachers and the overall curriculum.  We didn't send her there because she had already committed to another program overseas.  She's been in the program less than one month so far.  The dance schedule appears to be a little light at first glance.  Apparently, they start off slowly and will gradually ramp up with rehearsals.  Anyhow, as a mom, I'm reading between the lines in terms of what my dd has shared with me and am worried for her.  She says she's the worst kid in the class.  The majority of the kids have come up through the lower school and are very well versed with the school's style.  She also says she's not receiving many corrections from the teacher.  

I guess my question is this.  Is it better for a dk to be at a world renowned ballet school (company attached) and train despite being one who receives few corrections?  Or, is it better to be at another really good school (without a company attached) and be one of the favored students?  This second school has also sent many dks to professional companies.  She's taken many master classes and been to competitive summer intensives, all with positive feedback.  Most teachers say they think she will have a future in ballet.  I think she is a little down but is still working really hard to get better.  I guess I just want what's best for her and for her to be happy.

Any advice?

Reading between the lines (and forgive me if I'm wrong or overthinking) ... is this a cultural difference, and a difference in national training styles? For example, as I see it, the RBS takes a very "slow & steady" approach, and is also committed to maintaining & developing the perceived "national style" of British ballet as represented by the RB company.

Has se only started there this term? So only a month or so there? There could  be a teacherly policy of waiting and watching with a student who hasn't come through the junior school. Giving the pupil a bit of time to adjust, and also watching her to see what needs attention.

Also, some people like to be big fish in small ponds, and others prefer to be small fish in big ponds. She may need time to adjust.

Frankly, though, I'd be suspicious of being a "favoured" student: I've seen the "favoured" students in schools not succeed, whereas the quiet ones who've really had to work, gain from that, and do quite well!

• Like 10

I agree with kate_N. I think she needs time to adjust, if I remember correctly from your previous posts she is at Stuttgart - the students there will be excellent and she has been very fortunate to be given the opportunity to train there. The language difference Alone will be very disconcerting to her and I would imagine the teachers being quite sensitive to this and not wish to overload her all at once. I think it's safe to say they know what they are doing in terms of training and a slow start is just that - the upper school training in Germany is only 2 years so they know what they need to do to get them company ready in that time also, they clearly think your dd will be ready in that time otherwise they would not have picked her, their reputation wouldn't let them!

Obviously you are a concerned parent and you are absolutely right to listen out carefully for danger signs ( I trained in Germany from 17 - it was tough emotionally and culturally) but you don't need to worry about the quality of training. She may not settle or enjoy her time there and that is something you and she need to discuss very carefully but she will need at least 6 months to know whether it's for her or not. In the meantime the training she is receiving is top notch.

• Like 3

By your screen name balletsoccermom and your terminology, "summer intensive" and "year round" I guess you are from USA rather than UK. (We would say Summer school and vocational school.)  So if Harwel is correct and she is at Stuttgart is the other school in USA or UK.  It is always hard for a new student to fit in to an existing group, so I hope your dd is gradually feeling at home.  I agree it may be a deliberate wait and see policy to let her settle down.  One month is a relatively short time and it may be cultural differences too and/or plain homesickness.  Good luck to her!

• Like 4

Thank you for all of the responses.  It is very reassuring to hear that indeed the school is known for their high level of training.  Yes, the school is very new to her as well as living in a different country.  So far, she seems to be adjusting well to the change in culture and language.  It's funny how much one's perspective can change over night.  I was so worried before going to bed about my dd's situation, however upon waking up and reading these posts, I feel much better.  I'm wondering what I was stressing about.  I think my concern was over my dd's lack of confidence in her skills compared to her classmates.  On top of this comment, she mentioned that she wasn't receiving as much attention.  At the very beginning, she felt overwhelmed by the number of corrections she received.  So, it was disheartening to hear that she felt she wasn't receiving many anymore.  As for the other school, I don't even know if attending mid-year is an option.  I don't necessarily know if she would be a "favored" student, however I do know that the teacher and AD really likes her and wanted her to stay.  Right now, she doesn't necessarily know how the teacher feels about her.  Time will tell, right?

• Like 1

At the very beginning, she felt overwhelmed by the number of corrections she received.

If they're good teachers (and we know they are!) they will have picked up her being overwhelmed, and are backing off, allowing her time to process mentally, and then start to get them into her muscle memory - which, we all know, takes aaaaaages.

And although it's not pleasant this is a good indication of professional life, where you don't always get the approval you seek. So you have to become resilient and find a sense of confidence in your own self-approval.

• Like 7

If they're good teachers (and we know they are!) they will have picked up her being overwhelmed, and are backing off, allowing her time to process mentally, and then start to get them into her muscle memory - which, we all know, takes aaaaaages.

That was exactly my reaction, too - that they're trying not to stress her while she adapts.