The supermoon eclipse

loveclassics

Did anyone else watch this or were you all indoors enjoying ballet?   I waited up until it started at 01.10 Monday morning when the size of the moon was amazing but the eclipse hadn't even started.  When I looked next around 4 a.m. the moon was not so much crimson as chocolate brown because the eclipse was past totality.  But as compensation I was rewarded with the brightest sky I have ever seen: full of brilliant stars.  I was staying at my mother's, on the south coast and with none of the light pollution that spoils the London sky it was truly astonishing.

Any other (extra-terrestrial) star enthusiasts out there?

Linda

• Like 1

Socked in with cloud here for the first time since July or thereabouts. Always seems to happen that way. Twice we've timed trips to England to coincide with solar eclipses, and both times it was cloudy. My poor astronomer husband has never actually seen a total solar eclipse. We did see a wonderful lunar eclipse at Lake Tahoe some years ago, all the more impressive for our not having known ahead of time that it was happening.

But this time there was a sort of reddish glow in the sky behind the clouds, so I guess we saw an impressionist's version of the eclipse.

Edited by Melody
  • Like 1

Well my drive to work at about 06.30am was just beautiful. Couldn't see the moon but it was something about the way the light shone on everything. Work was super challenging, which I put down to the supermoon. On my way home I couldn't resist pulling over at the side of the road to get a picture. Hard to get a good pic on an iPhone though. Looks like a another street lamp!

We hadn't planned to get up, but Mrs M woke up circa 4am so we went to have a look - and that meant going outside as we've no windows on the southerly azimuth in which the moon was to be found.  Certainly a red/brown colour, though I suspect in the later stages of the phenomenon.  Trying iPhone was hopeless.  Equally impressive at that time was the apparent size and brightness of the stars generally - Orion very strong in the East and, in my younger Navigator years, it would have been a magnificent night for shooting Astro!

• Like 1

I thought of setting the alarm for a couple of minutes to 3 am, but decided I wasn't really interested enough to disturb my sleep time. Guess what? I woke up at exactly 2 minutes to 3, (The brain is a wonderful lump of matter) so decided to have a look, I personally wouldn't say it was an amazing site, but it was nice I suppose. The eclipse was either just short of completion or it was just past, it was a lovely shade of red. I looked at it for a full 20 seconds then hit the sack again, and back into my dreams. 

My partner got me out of bed at some ungodly hour to look at the eclipse and I thought it was well worth it as it's the first time I've seen that red moon as usually it's pouring with rain or there's a sea mist etc when anything spectacular happens in the skies.

Also the stars were wonderful that night everything so clear.....I love it when you can see most of the stars in Orion not just the main ones ........though it was a tad freeeezing in just a t- shirt!!!

• Like 1

I was asleep but I stirred when my husband went to the loo. I promptly went to sleep again. It turned he'd gone to the loo and then outside to watch the eclipse. Our eldest ex dd woke up at two and watched it as well. I feel rather miffed because if he had told me what he was planning to do, I would have got up too. :( I have enjoyed all the pictures people have put on Twitter and Facebook though.

• Like 1