What do my dead pointe shoes 'say'?

Gargouillade

My pointe shoes 'die' in a particular way—first the wings break down completely to the point that there is no lateral support followed by the part of the platform underneath the pleats going soft. There is also no resistance whatsoever when rolling from demi-pointe to pointe so I can even stand in my highest demi-pointe while wearing them. Releves on one leg in the centre become almost impossible and I can occasionally feel my toes curling to prevent myself from sinking.

The box and the shank are still strong and supportive so they don't seem all that 'dead' to my teacher who says they are still wearable but the decision is ultimately mine. I am wondering if the way my pointe shoes are 'dying' might be saying something that my teacher and I are missing out on? My classmates replace their shoes when the shank or box goes but for me it is all these other 'minor' components of the shoe so it is quite mystifying for everyone involved. They are Blochs which start to creak when the demi-pointe is busted... I think I must be on my tenth pair in this particular model.

Hoping for some insights! Thank you for your time.

Do you have a good Bloch fitter you can visit? Ideally they should be able to look at your shoes and see you en pointe in them and make suggestions about modifications - either to your technique, or to the shoe. It could be that you need a narrower box, stronger wings, or a more heavyweight shoe under the metatarsals.

Do you jet glue your shoes? You can jet glue the wings inside the shoe - that may help them last longer.

• Like 1

Hi Anna C, I went to Bloch Covent Garden to get these fitted but they were not the most helpful fitters. I do jet glue them!

I must admit we stopped going to Bloch for pointes after the wonderful Tiffany left. Have you tried any other makes, or been to Freed?

Can't offer any advice on the pointe shoes other than take dead shoes with you to next fitting and explain the problems. But it is interesting reading the comments regarding Bloch shop. Few months ago made dd an appointment for a fitting as she wanted to see what they could offer since she last wore Bloch shoes a few years ago. Service was appalling. Despite appointment the assistant started fitting two other girls for pointe shoes at same time as trying to fit dd, only offering dd the styles she had used before and they didn't last more than a couple of hours even though she had explained this to them. We got so frustrated told them it was a waste of time and left.

Our recent experiences of Dancia have been positive with an ordered queuing system and undivided attention during the fitting. It wasn't always so in the past.

Where are you based? Other members might be able to advise you on good fitters in your area who will take time to assess you.

• Like 2

I wouldn't give up on Freed - perhaps see if you can make an appointment with Beth, Sophie or Jade. They are Managers/Senior Fitters and know exactly which customisations can be made to suit difficult feet. Although it might seem that there are limited styles of shoe, all the Makers make slightly differently. In the past Beth has sent the shoes back to the factory for slight alterations which make all the difference.

Dd has only had one poor fitting in Freeds and has been wearing them for 5 years. Now we just make sure we ask for Beth, Sophie or Jade (one of them is always in) and dd always comes away with the right shoes.

With regards to Dancia, do they stock Russian Pointes? Dd tried those at Just Ballet recently and liked them very much.