Intensity of training

beckyl

Currently my September schedule looks like this:

Monday: IF Ballet

Tuesday: Jazz

Wednesday: Yoga

Thursday: Jazz and tap

It's a lot of faffing around, organizing dinner around me, transport issues etc. and it's a giant headache! It's just not ideal. And there's no scope to increase this, this is me absolutely stretched to my limit, it's already causing massive issues in my family.

A local dance school offers a training program all on a Saturday which includes 3 hours of ballet, 1 hour of musical theatre and 45 minutes of tap all on a Saturday in one location. The problem is it's literally one class after another. So while it sounds great in theory I'm slightly worried about the intensity (particularly the very sharp increase in ballet- class, conditioning and technique one after the other with no break.)

What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance

xx

Before you replace any or all of your weeknight classes with Saturday's intensive schedule, is there the opportunity to do a trial Saturday and see how you cope with it?

Also, if your schedule is causing transport and other logistical problems, do you need to take two jazz classes? Or could you drop Tuesday in the spirit of compromise?

I suspect the 3 hours of ballet will have a break in, can't imagine anyone doing a class that long without a break! Why not ask if you can build up to the full day over a number of weeks, sitting and watching some of the classes until you build up stamina?

Hi Anna,

Yes,  guess I could ask to trial. I'm planning on giving myself a 45 minute break in the middle because there is an 'audition technique' class that I'm not really interested in. I love your idea about jazz but my Tuesday class is the one I'm most in love with. I think giving up that would pretty much break my heart! And the jazz makes the tap bearable- unfortunately the tap class in musical theatre is a necessary evil!

Jane- the class is split in three: there's a class, then conditioning, then technique. I've e-mailed to ask exactly what each of these entail as I'm only just en pointe (I'm currently only rolling up onto pointe at the barre.) Perhaps I could just attend some of the classes to begin with- maybe skipping the conditioning? None of the classes are compulsory- you just pay a flat fee for 'up to' 8 hours a day.

Becky

• Like 1

I don't know how old you are and what your goals are. Are you a teenager or an adult beginner? Are you hoping to dance professionally? My first inclination is that you should drop the yoga and one of the jazz classes and add more ballet as most students studying for IF will be doing at least one other ballet class - normally a grade class plus a conditioning class and often a separate pointe class (at least that's how it works at my dd's school). Going to classes on so many different days is very time consuming.

• Like 1

I'm an adult beginner(ish) in my 20's. I'm hoping for a career (or semi-professional) in musical theatre. Ballet is not honestly my primary goal but I find open classes too hard as, try as I might, I can't remember the steps in the center (I'm fine at the barre.) I use yoga to increase my flexibility and core strength and really enjoy it. Pointe is 'lumped in' at my current ballet school. My only other option would be to do grade 6 followed by open class and then pointe. Those are all in one day.

I really, really don't like tap but so many MT auditions are asking to see your tap skills now. That's why I figured doing a Saturday would mean I could do tap on the same day as ballet and MT class would really help. I'm waiting for a few more details about the classes, I'll keep you posted!

Becky

What a lovely considerate daughter you are, that you recognise the impact on your family of the classes shows you are mature and sensitive individual. My dd is in a similar situation and she is always worrying about the impact her dance schedule has on our family - I have to reassure her regularly that if we didn't have faith in her we wouldn't be so supportive. I see it as my job to make her dance journey as smooth as possible after all she has the tough part! My dd does three dance classes on a Saturday and finds it ok, plus two in the week. She is however exhausted on a Sunday, this needs to now be a day of rest!

Thanks. I live in an area where public transport isn't great too. This would mean if I did Saturday I would be only asking for 2 lifts a week, would give gas money and could get the bus home from my classes :) I hope it will really improve the situation.

• Like 1

Dd has just moved dance schools & does 9- 5 on a sat (also still some evening classes). By doing most classes on sat she is freeing up some weeknights for homework (yr 10), and will help build stamina for full days at college (hoping to do MT course at 16).

Have a chat with the school and discuss your concerns - I'm sure they'll have experience with helping new students build up to full classes

• Like 2

Could you develop the ability to do your own yoga practice? There are some very reputable yoga classes on line (try Adrienne's 30 day Yoga challenge on YouTube). If you don't push the yoga poses, but use it as gentle conditioning & stretching, then it would supplement your dance training. While I'd never advise dance training on your own, if you take yoga practice gently, it can't harm you, as the principle of yoga is just doing enough for your own body, working within your limits. Whereas dance training is always pushing you beyond the current limits of your body.

You could then try the all day Saturday schedule, and dance 3 nights a week, doing your own yoga practice in between.

But I just have to say that I really worry about someone who isn't confident in an open class, but is on pointe. What's the reasoning behind that? You don't need pointe work for musical theatre (mostly) and the potential for injury through pushing your body in ways it's not prepared for is there. If you're not prepared (and 1 class a week for an adult beginner ids really NOT enough) then the extra effort for pointe work may cause your body to misalign, and this sets up the potential for injury.  Just worries me, to be honest.

I do also practice yoga at home. I could definitely drop yoga but I feel like it's *me* time and I find it relaxing. But I would be willing to give it up for the right dance class.

So to explain when I say 'en pointe' I mean I am a beginner BEGINNER. I can roll up onto pointe with two hands on the barre. I took up pointe to give myself an edge for auditioning for some musical theatre roles. It's like some roles require tap I would be possibly auditioning for roles that required extremely minimal pointe work. Definitely nothing above IF level and I don't really plan to progress any further than that.

Yes I agree with the above - I honestly don't think you need to do pointe if your aim is musical theatre.  But I do think you need to do more ballet.  Ballet gives you a technical base that you build on for other dance genres.  I think perhaps you should stick with IF for a while and when you're more confident, transfer to Grade 6 and the open class (without the pointe).  It will give you more range and quality of movement, more flow and the free movement section could be useful.  Also the character section would add to your style and presentation. 

Having said that, you do know that a quick glance in the programme at the backgrounds of the musical theatre dancers shows that most of them come from full time training at vocational schools or performing arts colleges?  There's no harm in dreaming, but I do hope you have a backup plan..........

• Like 3

Having said that, you do know that a quick glance in the programme at the backgrounds of the musical theatre dancers shows that most of them come from full time training at vocational schools or performing arts colleges?  There's no harm in dreaming, but I do hope you have a backup plan..........

Yes, this is the case. The so-called 'stars from nowhere' winning those television reality shows such as the ones searching for a Joseph or a Maria (those Andrew Lloyd Webber ones) were actually final year or Masters level students in Musical Theatre BAs or MAs. Connie Fisher, for example, has a BA in MT from Mountview. Others have done the MA  in MT at Central School of Speech & Drama (I've been an external examiner at CSSD and seen the work they do there). Others have trained at LIPA.

One way of testing the possibilities of a career in musical theatre would be to aim to audition for one of these courses. You'll see what is needed in a career, and whether you've got the potential & the basics -- a very good voice, and excellent dance skills - or raw potential for training in both those areas.

• Like 1

Yes, this is the case. The so-called 'stars from nowhere' winning those television reality shows such as the ones searching for a Joseph or a Maria (those Andrew Lloyd Webber ones) were actually final year or Masters level students in Musical Theatre BAs or MAs. Connie Fisher, for example, has a BA in MT from Mountview. Others have done the MA in MT at Central School of Speech & Drama (I've been an external examiner at CSSD and seen the work they do there). Others have trained at LIPA.

One way of testing the possibilities of a career in musical theatre would be to aim to audition for one of these courses. You'll see what is needed in a career, and whether you've got the potential & the basics -- a very good voice, and excellent dance skills - or raw potential for training in both those areas.

I agree, and unlike classical ballet courses, being in your 20s is not necessarily a no-no for starting a full time MT course. Millenium is another excellent MT school and as well as taking 16-18 year-olds I have heard of someone starting there after doing a degree in Medicine - an interesting career switch! :-)

I agree, and unlike classical ballet courses, being in your 20s is not necessarily a no-no for starting a full time MT course.

The MA at CSSD has people of quite a range of ages, in comparison with other courses. It's one year in the middle of London, at a fantastic training institution. What's not to like! (apart from the cost ... )