Closure of Ballet Museum at White Lodge

I was saddened to read in Today's Links that the lovely little ballet museum in White Lodge is to close due to lack of funding.  The museum contains some fascinating pieces of ballet history in a place which itself has been a big part of British ballet history, and in such a lovely, peaceful setting. 

I recommend that anyone interested in ballet go and see this little gem before it closes down if you are able to get to Richmond Park.  Such a shame.

• Like 1

Very sad indeed. They do say at: http://www.royalballetschool.org.uk/2015/07/white-lodge-museum-moves-into-the-digital-age/ that as well as online access:

Despite the closure, The Royal Ballet School Collections will remain intact and will continue to be maintained according to proper archival standards, managed by the School’s Curator of Collections, Anna Meadmore.

Continuing access

The Collections will remain open to visiting researchers and descriptions of the Collections will continue to be made available through the Archives Hub network.

I can't see why they can't open it on a select number of days perhaps for visitors. If it's staying put I'd be amazed if there aren't a handful of knowledgeable volunteers willing to man it on the odd occasion.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Good to see in the latest (2014-2015) RBS annual report that as well as making more material available online, they "propose to lend some objects to other museums, so they may be seen by a greater number of people than those who could get to Richmond Park."

http://www.royalballetschool.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Royal_Ballet_School_Annual_Report_201415.pdf

I am so sorry to hear the museum is to close. Following the demise of the theatre museum, this was the one place to indulge in many wonderful mementos of  this country's ballet history. Online archives don't hit the same spot. I've noted in a previous thread how we lack a place to celebrate ballet and dance  ( several exhibits in the V & A which aren't regularly changed is a pretty poor show).  Perhaps one day someone will come forward with a plan to create such a space. I agree that volunteers would be a way to save on some of the running costs - as someone who volunteers at a National Trust property, there's a wide range of roles and expertise that people are willing to offer for the pleasure and pride of making these wonderful resources available for the public to see.

• Like 3