Ivan Putrov - Men in Motion, London Coliseum, 30-31 January 2014

In connection with Men in Motion at the Coliseum, we've just released an interview with Ivan Putrov, by Paul Arrowsmith, plus a gallery, by Dave Morgan, of Ivan in the studio preparing for the shows.

Interview: Ivan Putrov - Dancer, Choreographer and Director of Men in Motion

11994540815_0f1fce71cc_z.jpg

Ivan Putrov

© Dave Morgan. Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

11955996553_d1fa807ba3_z.jpg

Ivan Putrov in the studio preparing for Narcisse - part of Men in Motion.

11955698925_788096781e_c.jpg

Ivan Putrov in the studio preparing for Narcisse - part of Men in Motion.

See more...

Dave Morgan: Ivan Putrov - in person

Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

There is a thread in News with further details of the shows and links:

http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/5305-ivan-putrovs-men-in-motion-london-coliseum-30-31-january-2014/

Edited by Bruce
  • Like 2

Bruce:  And there was that Independent article from Saturday's Links - the one with a decidedly expensive male fashion twist.  I think that the kit in picture No 3 would suit us both a treat! 

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/fashion/features/a-great-leap-for-mens-style-ballets-leading-men-put-the-coming-seasons-sportswearinspired-collections-through-their-steps-9062731.html

• Like 1

Bruce:  And there was that Independent article from Saturday's Links - the one with a decidedly expensive male fashion twist.  I think that the kit in picture No 3 would suit us both a treat! 

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/fashion/features/a-great-leapfor-mens-style-ballets-leading-men-put-the-coming-seasons-sportswearinspired-collections-through-their-steps-9062731.html

Sadly Prada doesn't really work for me - far too frumpy. Man at Asda for me!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of a mixed bag, but definitely worth seeing I think unless one dislikes watching 15 short pieces in one programme. I probably won't have the urge to watch a male solo for at least a week or so...

The not so marvellous:

A couple of the pieces were not too inspiring and there should probably be a law against including the Faun in programme's like these unless its done exquisitely.

The hilarious:

Zucchetti in Vestris, his comedic timing was spot-on and he had the audience in laughter throughout. The piece was maybe a couple of minutes too long, but hey, it was really funny (not something I expect from ballet normally)

Ed Watson in a Spidey suit in Pita's "Volver, Volver". My brain hasn't quite processed that yet past going bwahahahah.

Daniel Proietto in Oyen's "Sinnerman", having stolen the worldwide annual Disco Diva's glitter allowance to create the sparkliest full body Lycra suit ever made. Whilst I wouldn't want this to be the start of a new fashion (in ballet or clothing), it was a great one-off piece with light bouncing of the costume making the dancing look otherworldly at times.

The good:

I didn't much like Aeffi when Rademaker danced it in the Stuttgard mixed programme, but it seems to have grown on me since and he really moves in the most amazing way. I think it helped that I wasn't too close to the stage this time and didn't get distracted by some of the little twitchy movements.

TWO x TWO

Muntagirov in Adagio

The marvellous:

Edward Watson and Marijn Rademaker in de Fruto's "3 by D". Watson and Rademaker really fit each other and this was probably the best male 'duet' I have seen so far. Safe to say that they should probably not show the piece in Russia.

Marian Walter in Lacrimosa - just beautiful throughout.

Muntagirov and Glurdjidze in "Le Spectre de la Rose" - again, beautifully danced though parts of the audience seemed to get the giggles at seeing Muntagirov's pink outfit. Though after the glitter outfit and Spidey suit, they probably didn't realise that this one wasn't meant as a joke....

The Coli was about half full for this, though apparently they've had better sales for tomorrow.

Edited by Coated
  • Like 2

What a showcase of an evening! 

Coated, I agree with much of your review - except that I think "3 with D" definitely SHOULD be shown in Russia.

That piece prompted me to ask in the interval - "Is there anything that Edward Watson cannot do?". My question was answered with a resounding "NO!" when "Volver, Volver" came up. What an astonishing dancer/actor he is.

I too didn't really take to "Äffi" when Stuttgart brought it, but like it much better this time - I found it very involving and the fluttering is unlike anything I have seen in any other piece. Seeming uncontrolled, but boy, how controlled it all was. Brilliant. I wonder if anyone else dances it?

Very tempted to go again tomorrow.....

Just curious: can anyone here tell me why Ivan Putrov left RB? I've watched youtube videos of him dancing (the famous Nutcracker with Alina) and I'm just wondering why he doesnt dance with RB anymore. Sorry I know this is off topic, but I'm wondering .... 

I too didn't really take to "Äffi" when Stuttgart brought it, but like it much better this time - I found it very involving and the fluttering is unlike anything I have seen in any other piece. Seeming uncontrolled, but boy, how controlled it all was. Brilliant. I wonder if anyone else dances it?

I'm SO happy that Goecke's work finds some (reluctant) admirers in Britain after it was bashed by almost everyone at the Stuttgart mixed bill! Beware, the style can get hypnotic if you watch it too often  ;)  If you go again, try to read the fluttering hands - they write letters in the air, they cut the throat of their owner etc. Goecke had his first premiere as associated choreographer of NDT two days ago, doing a piece in pop corn.

Several dancers did "Äffi" at Stuttgart, including William Moore, Katja Wünsche and Robert Robinson, it was also in the repertory at Scapino Ballet in the Netherlands.

• Like 1

Hat's off to Ivan Putrov who mounted this programme, clearly did most of the 'back office' work himself, and performed in the show.

Those of who were able to attend the rehearsal yesterday afternoon got a rare glimpse of the challenges of producing something like Men in Motion. Thanking everyone for coming (!), Ivan explained that the floor was meant to have been laid overnight, but hadn't been, thus putting their prepaations 3 hours behind schedule. This meant that the lighting had to be trialled 'on the run' and some touches left unfinished until the night. Phew!

The result? A thoroughly enjoyable evening as others have said above.

• Like 3

Here are some extracts from the general rehearsal.  Well worth seeing so hurry to the Coliseum tonight. We had 11 from the 15 pieces in the programme.  I think the previous comments are very fair.

Men%2Bin%2BMotion%2B2014_001_narcisse_pu

Ivan Putrov in Narcisse, Choreographer Kasian Goleizovsky 

Men+in+Motion+2014_074_vestris_zucchetti

Valentino Zucchetti in Vestris, Choreographer - Leonid Jacobson 

Men+in+Motion+2014_166_spectre_glurdjidz

Elena Glurdjidze and Vadim Muntagirov in Le Spectre de la Rose, Choreographer - Michael Fokine 

• Like 4

I really enjoyed the performance tonight, I thought it was a terrific programme, with very few low-points.  The audience comments I overheard were very positive too, so it seems to have gone down well generally.

Highlights for me:

3 by D was probably the stand out piece overall.  Great choreography, which told a story really well. Edward Watson seems so well suited to this kind of performance, he can put across both the dance and the drama perfectly.

I also really liked Vadim's debut in Spectre de la Rose, and Marijn Rademaker's solo to a bluesy-type number.

The glittery piece with the disco suit was great fun and went down really well with the audience, although would maybe be better if cut a little shorter.

Low-point:

I could quite happily go with never seeing Apres-Midi D'Un Faun again.

• Like 2

...and here a re a couple more sample photos from the tech run through rehearsal, Thursday afternoon:

12243341016_5eb49997a2_z.jpg
Marjin Rademaker, Edward Watson in '3 with D'

12242913663_bf98e3d35d_z.jpg
Daniel Proietto in 'Sinnerman'

See more...

Set from DanceTabs - Ivan Putrov's 'Men in Motion'
Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

• Like 4

Very exciting programme last night, gave me a chance to see some pieces I knew from DVD, Ivan Putrov in Narcisse, Valentino Zucchetti in Vestris and Who Cares, and Rainer Krenstetter and Marian Walter from Berlin Ballet in the Proust duet, all beautfully danced.  Marian Walter again in Lacrimosa was the highlight of the evening for me, the Evening Standard calls him a "sculpted wonder", sublime dancing to sublime Mozart music!

Loved the way Vadim Muntagirov didn't show off his technique in Spectre but subdued it, this difficult to pull off pdd really worked, dreamy dancing by him and Elena Glurdjidze. 

Wasn't that keen on 3 With D, too much sitting around on chairs and not enough dancing, but the Arthur Pita solo for Edward Watson was crazy but great fun, as was Sinnerman with Daniel Proietto, and yes I did enjoy Affi much more the second time round, the sound system for all the recorded music was superb from where I was sitting.

Hope this version of Men in Motion or another one comes back soon!