Adult Ballet Workshops (news and attendance)

LinMM

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's just a general ballet class which is not difficult.....especially not for someone at grade6/7 level. It's not a real teaching class as such so you can do in any style you like!! But Rejane will set the arms etc for each exercise anyway. And she demonstrates very clearly and gives plenty of time to making sure have "got it" etc.

The age range n the class is very mixed so be prepared for this. Last Saturday there were people from about 18(just a couple) and mostly 25 plus I would say up to OAP's like myself!! Probably most in their 20's and 30's. But everyone was very nice it's a supportive rather than competitive atmosphere.

I'm sure you'll love it. I have to say its rather on the expensive side though.....probably because its at the ROH. The subsequent ones at Sadlers Wells are cheaper and we did one near London Bridge which was even cheaper so it does depend on the venue a bit as to the expense.

Hi Muchkin16

If you are particularly looking to do something with City at ROH, then at the moment there is only the Swan Lake3 repertoire workshop on the 1st of December, then next two (Giselle and Swan Lake4) are at Sadlers Wells, Rejane did mention another Masterclass but I think that was the evening of the 10th December, which conflicts with my two classes at ENB, perhaps LinMM can remember its location.

The Masterclass with Rejane were real fun so don't worry about your training in Cechetti, one of my local teachers is too, after a while I guess you become sort of multi-lingual in ballet terms, especially when you do a number of different classes. In any case I use a ballet dictionary which covers the different ballet schools terminology for the same movement, hand positions etc.

The repertoire workshops do tend to cover quite a lot, three or four scenes from one of the classics, but at the same time it does not appear to be rushed. Like any class it will start with a short barre session biased against movement you will need for rep. Short centre practice too, to support your rep later, then the main repertoire. Often Rejane make provision at the end for a Friends and Family performance of the scenes you have learnt during that workshop.

I guess I will soon have to think about booking the next two City rep workshops, I haven't missed one yet. Its of to RAD HQ Sunday for rep workshop on "Don Quixote".

• Like 1

Lin

Has Chelsea Ballet's Master class for December been cancelled then, as the last notification I got from Louise was it would be a Friday either 6 or 13 and Laura Hussey was to be the teacher. Laura is my teacher at my level 3 class at ENB, she is an excellent teacher and helped me a lot with my own choreography when she was my level 1 teacher.

BMT

Who is your evening teacher at Northern, I have done a couple of sessions with Fi(Fiona)evening classes, but I can only do full days there when ENB are on break. I will be there again during the last week of the current term and join Fi's class again, I really like Fi.

Its the same teacher - Fiona - I think she's a great teacher and I really enjoy her classes.  I go to the int/adv class and its just at the right level of challenge for me - some things I cant do very well, but I give it all a good go. Michelle - I think I recognise you from your photo - I partnered you at the CA masterclass during the stretching exercises. Great to see some familar faces on here and I look forward to seeing you again at CA or Northern!

I forgot to mention Franziska Rosenzweig who runs class plus repertoire days as well nearly always on a saturday over near Old Street tube. These are usually between February and September. She also has regular classes at Danceworks including on Sundays. She has a double session on Sunday and lots stay to do both classes. If you google her and then look for courses under her Holistic Ballet page you can see what she did last year. She also has her own studio and you can have private lessons or if you know someone book a session for up to three people which lessens the cost. Ive had a couple of individual with her. For example say if you wanted to work on pirouettes she will give a short barre(I was working on more than one thing) and then work just on pirouettes. I am similar to in that I came back to ballet two years ago (well nearly three now) after a 20 year gap.

Franziskas workshops have a similar format to Rejane in that there is an hour of Pilates, then a ballet class and then an hour or so on a piece of repertoire and usually run from 10-3pm on sats. The level of ballet attainment of the attendees though is higher than on the City Academy there seem to be more approaching Intermediate level and a few more advanced.......most seem to have been doing ballet for at least 3-4 yrs. ....and some girls do the rep on pointe. If you are thinking of eventually including pointe work then she does pointe work classes as well including a beginners one.

Central is good for classes on Sundays but not so much Saturday. Ive been to David Kierce there. He has three classes on Sundays a level one....more beginners.....level 2 Improvers ......and then his advanced class. But there are other teachers there too. All the classes are drop in. Just up the road from Central is the Urdang Academy and there are classes there for adults too!!

Goodness though coming all the way down to London from Leeds for a workshop!!! I'm sure Northern Ballet will do some repertoire type classes soon.....they do have ballet classes in the week.....I looked recently as I'll be up in Leeds next Saturday(23rd) but they don't unfortunately have classes on sat for adults but Ive decided to give the place the once over anyway!!

I can't believe there is no ballet going on in Manchester for adults does anybody know of anything there?

Thank you for all your advice and recommendations. I attended an open level ballet class at KNT Danceworks  - based at the Dancehouse Theatre in Manchester - 3pm on a Sat afternoon which is great for me, although still quite a trek from Leeds for just one class. There was quite a big range of ability - from beginners right through to professional standard - with different variations dependant on ability. Ive also found a Fri eve class at Studio 25 in Manchester - so Im hoping to give that a try next week, although I cant commit to travelling to Manchester every Fri.

BMT are you planning on doing one of city academy's Swan Lake workshops in either December or January?

I haven't decided yet - Dec is a pretty hectic month with kids pre-Xmas parties etc - I think I might wait now until Swan Lake on 4th Jan, which would make a nice start to the new year.

• Like 1

Hi BMT

Wow now I can put a face to your name, I hope to see you at Northern Ballet in Fiona's class on the 17th, and hopefully with City on the 4th of Jan, I will have to stay in London that weekend as I'm doing Nutcracker with ENB at the Coliseum on the Sunday. I think I'm a bad influence on Lin as she is now doing both too. Hopefully she will find the right door this time. 

Well haven't made up my mind about the 4th yet. I'm going to see how I feel on the day after the first Swan Lake workshop to see if I can manage another workshop so early the next day!! As the Nutcracker one starts at 9.30!! I want to be able to enjoy it not drag myself through it!

I will most probably do the Giselle one on 1st Feb though.

• Like 1

Hi Lin

I thought that was quite ambitious of you. I'm off tomorrow to see my Physio to see if she can give me some new 18 year old legs or a full service, not sure what she is going to make of me.

Had a lovely day with the Royal Academy of Dance in London doing Repertoire from the Ballet “Don Quixote”, we danced two very contrasting scenes, the first was a Spanish dance from Gamache’s Entrance (Act 1), the second was far more classical from the Dream Scene (Act2). Our teacher for the day was Darren Parish, an easy teacher to follow and learn from, I liked him alot.

I also met one of my friends from English National Ballet, and two other’s that were with me during our LAB Summer Intensive at Docklands. Our teacher also thought he had recognised me from the Royal Opera House, it just shows what a small world it is.

I had a nice chat with Natalie Dorman, one of the RAD organisers. It appears they will be running an Adult Repertoire course on Cinderella in February, but nothing is published yet. I have submitted a comprehensive feedback form with suggestion on many ballet’s that they may consider using over and above those that are currently in their mind.

The journey there was a bit fractious, left home at 6am, silly me didn’t check the train times as I knew I had a good deal of contingency built in. First train from Peterborough was 7.26am but it was late at 7.41am, it was also the slow train getting into Kings Cross at 9am. RAD info said to find bust stop G for the 170 which was not marked on that stop. A map I downloaded showed it as bus stop R, which was the one I used. I was also not prepared for ticket machines for pre-paid tickets, besides the one at “R” was out of action, but a nice gentleman said I would probably be OK to pay as they weren’t very busy on a Sunday, so that’s what I did. However on the return journey, the bus was full to bursting, but I still paid the driver.

Well also won't have done any classes for a couple of weeks by the 4th Jan. So two workshops in one weekend may be a bit too much.

Though on the other hand I suppose it could be a good way of working off all the Christmas excesses!

For me what Christmas excess, the meal and Salsa party planned for Christmas day has now been dropped. We had 20+ dancers for it, but too many have pulled out. I guess I will have to chill out at home. Means I will have to cook and do the washing up Grrrrr. Id rather be dancing ballet particularly the harem girls dance from Le Corsaire. At least I will get time to recut the music for my own chorography.  

Lin have you had any thoughts on your tutu for the LAB Intensive yet, I'm OK as I have about a dozen, a couple more on order and for Christmas I might treat my self to a couple of JB's professional one's as they are really nice. Must go out and get some fairy wings though, in case w0e are doing the fairy variation's.

Edited by Michelle_Richer

Have you got an Oyster card Michelle?  They are ultra convenient for using public transport in London and you don't need to worry about ticket machines not working.  Of course the main advantage is that you pay less than the charge if you just buy single tickets.

• Like 2

Before I got my bus pass got caught out late a few years back (after 11pm) by not having an Oyster card as they had these bus ticket machines at the Baker Street bus stop and I didn't have any change. The first bus driver wouldn't let me on but the next one(another 20 mins down the line) let me get on as far as Euston so I could get some change at least!! Eventually got home after midnight. But thought then would never get caught again so now have an Oyster card always which I now just use on the tube and luckily bus pass on the buses which ironically quite a few of the drivers don't even want to look at!!!

Had an email from RAD tonight

Nutcracker Rep Workshop (RAD), South East Dance Studios, Hextable Kent, 8 December (Closing date extended to 25 November) Link: http://www.rad.org.uk/article_pink.asp?id=119&realCat=138

They haven't quite reached the minimum number for this workshop to fly. I hope we can attached a few more from this forum.

Hi Lin

Your memory fails you, I posted the RAD workshop on 2nd of October and you responded to it. See link http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/5004-new-adult-repertoire-workshops-from-royal-academy

Don't forget, although its not on their site yet, but they will be running a Cinderella Rep workshop in February. 

Yes you're right Michelle.....dodgy memory.....I thought it was a bit odd giving less than a months notice!!

I'll probably go for the Giselle one in February with City Academy.......can only afford so many etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Nutcracker Rep Workshop for this weekend 8th December at South East Dance Studios, Hextable Kent, is still available for booking

Scenes

Piece of repertoire to be covered during the workshop; Waltz of the Flowers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpN-6uGQMsQ

Please note the version studied may vary to the choreography shown in the clip.

Who to Contact

If you need any further information regarding the course, contact Monday - Friday on 020 7326 8025 / email: khart@rad.org.uk.

For contact on the day of the course, please call Becky Martin, Regional Assistant for the South East, tel: 07780 111 907 .

This is the message I got from Katie Hart: "We still have places available for this workshop if you know of anyone who may be interested in attending, please ask them to contact me directly".

A really nice Nutcracker rep workshop from RAD, however the choreography was very much changed for an all female corps de ballet. First I though we were going to have to split up for male and female rolls as that's what we did with RAD for Romeo and Juliet in "Dance of the Knights". However we didn’t, there is some similarity to the video clip but not a lot. If I can still remember what we did in the morning on my train journey to Scotland I will jot it down so I can create my own version for all female dancer’s a little close to the clip but utilising bit from both in an hybrid enchainement.

Anyway it was real fun and we got to choreograph our own ending and finishing pose. We also had a small audience for our final performance, not something RAD usually does.

What was a little sad, there was only three girls including me from the UK, six of the girls were from Belgium, and another girl not from the UK. RAD doesn’t usually operate with such a small class, I know they prefer 18 or 20 and start to limit it above 22.

There is another Repertoire Workshop coming up “Swan Lake”, to be held somewhere in Berkshire on the 26th of January. I will be chasing my contact there to get some tangible info, as I will be on it.

• 2 weeks later...

Latest update from my friends at RAD

All adult repertoire workshop is £36.00 each

Swan Lake Berkshire on 26Jan, closing date 16jan

Cinderella London on 15 Feb closing date 27jan

Romeo and Juliet Edinburgh on 23 Feb closing date 3 feb

Giselle Cambridge 29 june closing date 9 june

I’m still to find out the address at the locations indicated.

• Like 2

Yes had an email just arrive about it!

There are a couple of the RAD ones above I may be interested in too especially as the first workshop of Franziska next year has the special emphasis on pointe work so won't do that one.

The other interesting news from LAB is this new online shop opening in February as it sounds as if they are catering for amateur dancers mainly so perhaps that will be good news re leotard sizes etc!!

Are you going to go to the Sleeping Beauty they have arranged for that Saturday in April? I wasn't going to that weekend of the intensive as its such a long ballet so means a latish night but apparently it's Osipova and Golding dancing so am tempted now!

Ive just been on the ROH website and some tickets still left so have now bought a ticket for the 5th. It's in the Amphi but nearer the front than the LAB ones.

I'm seeing Corsaire on the 12th Jan!! The Sunday matinee.

Have a look at the ROH website for Beauty on the 5th and PM me if you want me to get you a ticket as a Friend as public booking doesn't open until 14 th Jan. I'm sitting in row B in the Amphi or maybe you want to go with the LAB offer?

Let me know anyway!

The LAB £24 tickets are towards the back of the Amphi not sure which row this price starts but they've said they are central. I 'll email you the price of the row B ones or closest to that but it is more expensive than £24! You can double that and then a bit more!! Just got in from the wind and rain.......again!! Will email very soon.

Just an update to the City Academy Swan Lake Rep workshop at Sadler's Wells on the 4th,

This is what we are covering:

Prince Siegfried meets Odette, prior to the material we have previous work. This is entrance of Odette from where she comes on stage with a grand jete, to where Odette's mime starts (we did from Odette's mime to the end of that scene last time) one of my favourite parts.

Pas de deux with corps de ballet. This is quite long so I guess its likely to be simplified, I'm also not sure If we will have any guys this time, so it might get changed

Pas de quatre (cygnet dance)