Adult Ballet Workshops (news and attendance)

LinMM

Just caught up with this Michelle and thanks for the info.

I haven't booked the Giselle one yet but hope to do so.

Otherwise I'd be interested in the Don Quixote one as well. I haven't been into their website for a while so will have a look.

So sorry not to see you on Saturday but hopefully in February.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive looked everywhere on the website and cannot find the above information Michelle!!

They only show info for the Giselle and another Swan Lake one in March but nothing further.

On Saturday Rejane didn't mention the March Swan Lake she talked about the Paquita one and possibly a Corsaire one but with no firm dates and then maybe a Don Quixote one!!

So am not sure if the above dates and ballets are firmly fixed yet. Did you contact her or the City Academy personally for this info then?

Hi Lin

I swap emails with Rejane, I was surprised the list she gave me did not have Le Corsair on it, especially as she mentioned it to everyone at the previous master-class. This followed a conversation with her when I suggested as to how we could dance "The Harem Girls Dance" as duets from opposite corners (that's if our dancers aren't too uncomfortable with that), I think she liked the idea.

In any case I will be doing this one privately with her as I am re-choreographing it for solo. I have already recut the music with a number of options while I'm indisposed.

Do tell, how did both classes go, I was watching the clock and imagining what you were doing in class, I really really missed it, it was awful.

Edited by Michelle_Richer

Will just see if a couple of those dates are confirmed as I see one workshop is the week before the LAB intensive and the other the week after it so all rather close together. My inclination is to go for the one after the intensive just in case put the LAB in jeopardy if doing a workshop the week before and anyway can't afford them all!!

You will be disappointed as I did not do the ENB workshop in the end! I will email you about why I didn't but basically I had to take the decision that to do it would have been detrimental as I was very tired after the City Academy one......a long day 10-6pm....albeit very enjoyable....and after such a gap with not so many classes due to injury and holidays I did not feel that fit and didn't want to risk injury as everything starts back here today!!

Our wonderful City Academy danseur noble T*** said he was doing it so you can ask him how that one went. He will have wondered why I wasn't there either after saying "see you tomorrow!" It was a great opportunity to dance on the Coli stage etc and watch part of the Company class but I couldn't cope with the two days running on that weekend unfortunately!

• Like 1

The Swan Lake workshop by City Academy on Saturday was again extremely enjoyable. We mainly worked on the first meeting of Odette with the Prince and their first pas de deux and then the little cygnets pas de Quatre. We started as usual with an hours class though.

There was only one prince but six Odettes so how did that work!! Well as usual Rejane worked out how he could have a small dance with all of us at some point by adapting choreography a little something she is an expert at doing successfully without spoiling the feel of the whole piece.......quite a skill!! None of us was on pointe so lots of demi work (my downfall later)

The first part involved a lot of the mime sequence of Odette explaining her situation and this was very satisfying to do as you could do a bit of acting however un Oscar like that may have been!! It's the first time Ive understood what ALL the mime meant as well!!

With the more main pas de deux one lady was chosen to do the lifty parts......the smallest lady as there was no way the gallant T*** was going to lift some of us there!! Luckily he has done some proper pas de deux work (he told us later at an RBS workshop) and other classes because it was obvious he was pretty expert at it and the chosen lady was positively flying up in the air in those split jump lifts much to her amazement!! She was so thrilled you could tell as she had never experienced this before!!

The rest of us were sorrowful but hopeful Odettes occasionally getting a chance to persuade the Prince on our own bit with him that we must be the only one for him or all was lost!!

Our final piece was the pas de Quatre of the little cygnets dance! Whew have I got new respect for them! That dance is a killer just so fast and needs SO much energy.

We had a bit of a rest before recapping on everything for the final performance (how do dancers remember so much choreography) we definitely forgot a few bits here and there!......well if it hadn't been for Rejane miming from the sidelines(wings) so to speak!!

As usual I think it's amazing how much we cover and remember(well nearly) in one day. It's just so satisfying.

Only one little mar for me is that by the end of the day(10-6) I was feeling rather tired because I haven't done any dancing for a while and my right foot (not the usual one which can play up but has been very good for a year now) was having twinges from a mixture of overuse of demi pointe I think and not hitting it successfully.......eg when doing a piqué not really being fully up with the weight over the leg etc so on. So was hurting a bit apart from general tiredness from lack of stamina(its this stamina that drops off more quickly when you are older and have a gap rather than the technique itself Ive found)

I was due to do another workshop run by the ENB the following day which I had been looking forward to based on the Nutcrackerand a chance to dance on the Coli stage but decided not to do it as my foot was still hurting around the achilles(must be catching Michelle) the following morning and I didn't want to push it. It's just a shame this turned out to be such last minute a decision as I'd rather someone could have taken my place!

Hopefully will be fitter for the next one in February.

• Like 2

Wow Lin it sounds as if you did all of the Entrance of Odette, if it included the mime scene, we did the mime last time but there was a couple of bits missing, I know that scene quite well.

The pas de deux sounded quite fun, when I checked out the RB version it also seemed quite long, I wonder how much was cut down if any.

Yes the Cygnet dance is quite fast, I have done that twice before, my favourites are the mime scene and Odette's solo from Act 2

I don't know if it will be of any interest to anyone here, but I've just been browsing through the directory of courses on the RAD website for 2014 and I noticed that as well as a number of adult repertoire workshops they are starting an adult Associates scheme. I didn't read any details sorry as I was really looking for things for my DD to do but I thought I'd mention it in case anyone is interested. You can download the brochure off the RAD website.

• Like 2

Thanks Pups Mum for the info and Janet for the direct link......as the RAD website can be or used to be a bit difficult to find things on.

This is great news for people who DON'T live in the London area as they do already offer such classes to adults at the RAD Headquarters in London on evenings and saturdays so a chance for Middle England to get their chance now!!

Perhaps they'll continue further up North......to Leeds maybe?? Or Manchester??

More detail of Adult Repertoire classes from RAD, but application forms are not in place yet, I rang them today (08/01/2014)

Swan Lake: Sun 26 Jan (16 Jan Closing date) 10.30am-1.00pm at Herongate Leisure Centre, Charnham Park, Hungerford, Berkshire RG17 0YU

Cinderella: Sat 15 Feb (27 Jan closing date) 10.30am-1.00pm at RAD headquarters, 6 Battersea Square, London, SW11 3RA

Romeo & Juliet: Sun 23 Feb (3 Feb closing date) 3.15-5.15pm at Morningside Dance Academy, Grange Studios, Grange Road, Edinburgh, EH9 1UQ

Giselle: Sun 29 June (9 Jun closing date) 3.00-5.30pm at St Marys School, Bateman Street, Cambridge, CB2 1LY

I can't find any of this info on their website either!!

So do you have to ring them to get them to send you an application form?

Or if from the website exactly how do you get to these repertoire classes?

When I looked the other day I could only find the repertoire classes for children.

Hi Lin

You have to remember I work closely with these organisations, I was given advanced info which I posted on the thread a few weeks back, but at that time I did not know the addresses. That has since been posted on the RAD website, follow this link http://www.rad.org.uk/article_pink.asp?id=169&realCat=124 to the bottom of the page.

I spoke to Nathalie Delorme tonight as there is no application forms on the site yet, I have asked her to email me them all and yes I will be doing them. I have also ask another one of there training officers to send me the course flyers, so I can get the put up in Pineapple and Danceworks etc.

I've just booked the hotel tonight for the Spring Intensive, I'm at the Travel lodge again.

If I get the forms tomorrow I will email you a copy, that's if they have them.

• Like 1

Thanks that would be great. The Cinderella one is the more urgent if the closing date is January 27th.

I can't promise at this point but if you do the Cambridge one my friends there may be able to put you up too!!

It always depends whether the children (grown up ones) are home any particular weekend or not otherwise they've three bedrooms spare including the spare room!! But it's too far ahead to say for sure etc and you may want to make it a day trip from where you are as you are not too far from Cambridge I suppose!

Hi Lin

Cambridge for me is quite local, about an hour away by car. Its a different location to the last one RAD run in Cambridge, that one was at the Colours studio. I met one of the girls that did the same course just before New Years when I when to see Jewels at the ROH, she recognised me, she will be there too. Also one of the Chelsea ballet girls will be doing that one, I first met her at RAD.

I really do think a strong core of Rep dancers are now coming together and especially as RAD are now recognising that and offering substantially more classes, we just need to make it work by spreading the word and getting the attendance up.

PS RAD usually send a clip of what the rep is based on about a week before the class, but its only as a rough guide, but never the less is quite helpful.

I think I know who the Chelsea Ballet girl is as she comes all the way from Cambridge to do the monthly Masterclass which doesn't seem to be on this month as it happens.

Anyway Cambridge is always easy for me because I can stay in Sawston ......or even if push came to shove I could access from London as its only 50 mins from Kings Cross.

For anyone wishing to do the Swan Lake Rep workshop on the 26th Jan, as RAD have not got the application forms in place yet, they will accept the application using the Student application form at the bottom of the page on this Link http://www.rad.org.uk/article_pink.asp?id=169&realCat=124

Or alternatively download directly from http://www.rad.org.uk/files/ART169_Training%20Workshop%20Application%20&%20Payment%20Form%20(Final).doc

I spoke to Katie Hart at RAD today 13/01/2014 and that is what she has suggested until RAD get the appropriate application forms in place for each repertoire workshop.

I know this isn't Ballet but as its Adult WS and Summer Schools I've dropped it here, it had the ballet content that I have already posted, its from a mail drop from RAD today..

NEW for 2014…

Adult West End Jazz Workshop, based on the musical A Chorus Line

Learn choreography from popular West End musicals with this energetic workshop. Following a dynamic warm up, participants will learn group dances, gaining an insight into the way an ensemble cast rehearses. The workshop aims to improve both technical and performance skills.

Sunday 30 March

LONDON

Venue: RAD headquarters 36 Battersea Square, SW11 3RA

Time: 12.30 – 3.00pm

Faculty: Sonny Ward

Closing date: Monday 10 March

Contact Nathalie Delorme E: ndelorme@rad.org.uk

Places are awarded on a first-come, first-served basis. Applications may be returned by email or post as directed on the form itself.

Adult Summer Course 2014

Monday 21– Friday 25 July

LONDON

Venue: RAD headquarters 36 Battersea Square, SW11 3RA

Time: classes held in the evening between 6.00 – 9.30/45pm

Who can attend: Students aged 18+, with three levels of ability

Closing date: Monday 9 June

Separate Summer Events Application Form required, for further details see the RAD website (http://www.rad.org.uk/learn-to-dance/find-an-activity/adult-summer-course)

Contact Nathalie Delorme E: ndelorme@rad.org.uk

Further details for all our forthcoming workshops and courses may be found on the new RAD website (www.rad.org.uk/learn-to-dance/find-an-activity

I'm having trouble with the application form as originally sent as a PDF file which you can't work on.

I emailed Nathalie and asked if poss to send as word file which she did but I still have to open in Pages and its still misbehaving and its hit and miss whether my keyboard comes up or not and the whole page a bit unstable!! So have decided to just print off and send as hard copy as it will end up being quicker......as took me 20 mins just to fill in name and age tonight!!

This is for the Cinderella workshop in February.

Well have printed off the form and sent off today for the Cinderella workshop on the 15th

I would note that this starts at 12.30 and finishes at 3.30 and not 10.30 until 1.30 as still says on the main website!! So much easier for people outside London to get to.

Their recent emails do have the correct times but whether they have changed the time on their website yet not sure!!

It doesn't seem bad value for £36 and Ive been wanting to try out their studios which look fabulous for some time now!!

I also had an email today saying there were still "some" places available......I hope so because my letter won't get to them until tomorrow!!

Hi Lin

They seldom have too many dancers so there wont be any problem getting your booking accepted. Anyway I'm not best please with the way RAD operate, they loose lots of opportunities by poor promotion of their Adult Rep Workshops. I ask them along time ago to send me flyers for all of those rep courses so I could get them displayed at Pineapple and Danceworks as well as my local classes and ballet shops. They only sent me the Cinderella one when it was far too late.

Have you heard anything yet? I did have an email saying a place had been provisionally booked but I should get confirmation soon.

I assumed when you had paid then if there was a place it would be booked so not sure what they mean by its a provisional place unless they are just waiting to see if there will be enough people to run it......the last one was cancelled I believe.

Hi Lin

unfortunately that's the way they operate, one day I must go in early and get them organised as they really do loose opportunities. I have ask them for publicity material but there is not much coming my way, in the past I have got it displayed in Pineapple and Danceworks as well as local ballet schools.

About a week before the event you will get your conformation together with what scenes we are doing, sometimes with a youtube clip as a rough guide.

• Like 1

Lin - all bookings with RAD, adults or children come back with provisional.  I think it is in case of cancellation, change of venue, time etc.  although my DDs have never had any cancelled, there have been variations in timing.  I think it is because they are 'guests' in whichever studios they use and sometimes it is out of their control.  Out of curiosity Michelle why is BRB not a serious rep workshop?

I guess I'm getting a bit more selective in my old age. I'm already doing something like 3 rep workshops a month and handling scenes from around 6 different classical ballets a month with shows and LAB, so I'm really agonising if to do BRB or not. I have already exchanged emails as to what they are doing, so I'm not sure that I will get very much out of it.

Fair enough - I have no experience of their Adult workshops so I wasn't sure if they were somehow different or pitched differently to some of the others you attend as obviously 'adults' covers a broad band of dancers, from very inexperienced to advanced. Hope the other rep workshops go well.