BalletcoForum uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

Photo

Stanislavsky at ENO in summer 2013?

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#31 aileen

aileen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,310 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:06 AM

I notice that on the Coliseum's website the production is advertised as "Roland Petit's Coppelia starring Sergei Polunin". Personally, I feel that all these interviews that Polunin gives are ill advised. Many of his comments just alienate people but, presumably, the Stanislavsky takes the view that no publicity is bad publicity. I've booked for this production because I'm interested in seeing what Roland Petit's version is like and because my daughter would like to see Coppelia again, having recently performed in her ballet schools's production. Polunin is due to dance in the performance which I have booked but, if he doesn't, I don't mind provided that his replacement is good (I know nothing about any of the other dancers). I feel that Polunin is getting a bit big for his boots and that he overestimates his box office appeal. BRB's Coppelia seems to have sold well at the Coliseum last year (certainly, the Saturday night was packed) without any advertised "stars" or "controversial" interviews.

#32 aileen

aileen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,310 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:06 AM

Comments removed as posted twice by mistake!

Edited by aileen, 03 June 2013 - 12:08 AM.

#33 billboyd

billboyd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:24 AM

Since his departure from the Royal Ballet Sergei Polunin has been very vulnerable and easy 'prey' for journalists after a 'good story'.

Don't believe everything they write.

• Amelia, helpop and Coated like this

#34 aileen

aileen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,310 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:45 AM

True. I think that the Stanislavsky should stop him, or at least try to dissuade him from, giving interviews.

#35 Aruna S

Aruna S

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:48 AM

I found the complete ballet on YouTube, with Roland Petit himself as Copernicus and Altynai Asylmuratova as Swanilda. Not posting the link here to avoid infringing any rules, but it should be easy to track down.

An interesting touch I noticed was that Franz seems to be openly flirting with Coppelia right under Swanilda's nose, so to speak, instead of behind her back as in other productions I've seen.

#36 capybara

capybara

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:46 AM

There is now an offer for Coppelia. £50 seats in the Dress Circle for £25. Code is: TRAVELZOO. Charges of £1.75 apply online and £3.50 for telephone bookings.

#37 alison

alison

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 4,280 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:10 PM

OOh, does that include Polunin performances?

#38 capybara

capybara

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 06:16 PM

OOh, does that include Polunin performances?

TRAVELZOO implies that the offer applies to all performances but i guess that you have to experiment with the code to find out for sure.

#39 Coated

Coated

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:18 PM

Nice, just booked a dress circle ticket for the 11th with the code. Since I already had a ticket for the 12th I'll be seeing it two nights in a row, but I guess I'll just have to cope with that...

#40 Don Q Fan

Don Q Fan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • LocationN W England

Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:10 PM

Groupon has a half price offer on now too.

• blackdove likes this

#41 aileen

aileen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,310 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:41 PM

Does anyone know anything about any of the Stanislavsky dancers apart from Polunin?

#42 MAB

MAB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • LocationSouth London

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:18 PM

Perhaps this will help:

http://www.stanmus.c...ople.html?grp=3

I'm sorry to see Chernobrovkina listed as a coach rather than a dancer as she was very special. The only two I'm certain I've seen before are Georgi Smilevsky and Viktor Dik, both quite mature now I imagine.

I note Andrei Uvarov is now a coach with the company too after the disgraceful way he was treated at the Bolshoi.

• Ryo likes this

#43 aileen

aileen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,310 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:01 PM

Thanks, MAB.

#44 capybara

capybara

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 07:17 AM

Anna Ol and Anastasia Pershenkova are simply wonderful in Mayerling - as Mary Vetsera and Countess Larische respectively.

Yana Serebriakova, now a coach, was with the Mariinsky and is, I believe, Igor Zelensky's wife.

Edited by capybara, 29 June 2013 - 07:17 AM.

• aileen and helpop like this

#45 Ryo

Ryo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:11 PM

Hi Aileen,

I have seen Natalia Ledovskaya, Natalia Krapivina, Georgi Smilevsky, Mikhail Pukhov in Nottingham and in Cardiff in August 2007 when some of Bolshoi, Mariinsky and Stanislavsky dancers toured in UK for Charity Gala.

Ledovskaya was sublime as Giselle.

Natalia Krapivina (daughter of Mikhail Krapivin & Galina Krapivina both well known dancers in Russia in the past and now repetiteurs of the company) & Georgi Smilevsky were superb dancing Grand pas Classique.

• aileen likes this

#46 Naomi M

Naomi M

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted 29 June 2013 - 01:27 PM

Stanislavsky came to Japan in 2009, that time Sergei Filin was the AD.  Their Esmeralda was very dramatic and stunning, above all Ledovskaya was such an actress and also brilliant in her technique. Semyon Chudin was also good but now he is with the Bolshoi. Also saw Georgi Smilevsky and Natalia Somova in Swan Lake and they too were wonderful, I thought the quality of the company is very high.

I haven't seen Stanislavsky dancing Petit's Coppelia, but this Coppelia is also in the repertoire of National Ballet of Japan and I was lucky to see brilliant dancers such as Leonid Sarafanov, Tamara Rojo, Jose Carreno and Lucia Lacarra guest in this. A very sophisticated and charming, lovely version and I am sure the London audience will like it. But no soloists other than the leading couple and Coppelius. 

• aileen likes this

#47 Ryo

Ryo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 29 June 2013 - 03:13 PM

On the Opening Gala Peformance in Tokyo in 2009, Fumi Kaneko (The Artist of the Royal Ballet at Present / The Silver Medal Winner of the 11th Moscow International Ballet Competition) performed Grand pas Classique.with Georgi Smilevsky. Fumi was only 17 years old at the time!

#48 aileen

aileen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,310 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:41 PM

Amazingly, I've just received an e-mail from the Coliseum advertising Coppelia. I don't think that I've ever received an e-mail from the Coliseum advertising (visiting) ballet productions before. Has there been some change of policy, I wonder.

#49 nottsballetlover

nottsballetlover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationNottinham

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:31 PM

Some great tweets coming through that opening night of Coppelia this evening was an amazing performance by Sergei Polunin, hopefully someone will post soon on the Performances Seen section. I'm travelling to London for Saturday matinee, starting to get very excited about this one.......

There seem to be plenty of tickets still available btw.

Edited by nottsballetlover, 11 July 2013 - 10:39 PM.

Nicola. 

#50 alison

alison

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 4,280 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:50 PM

They were doing £25 standbys this evening.  Or £85 down to £35 in Leicester Square.