Ballet with some contemporary summer school?

Aklf

First time posting on the forum! I have been looking for a summer school for my dd who is 10 in London. She has done a lot of ballet but is really keen to add some contemporary lessons and wondered if anyone knows of a good one that mixes both ballet and contemporary? Thanks.

Have a look at 'the place' for their summer classes for young people. There are cart ain't options for young people and adult to. Is contemporary with ballet but I am not sure about the children's options.

Heather

Aka Taximom

Most summer schools concentrating on ballet also have contemporary/jazz classes as well, but I'm not sure how much contemporary your DD is looking for. For younger students you could look at Yorkshire Assembly (run by Yorkshire Ballet Scholarship Centre) - but do check whether your DD's age/ability group for ballet does contemporary as well, Yorkshire Ballet Seminars, Harpenden summer school (non-residential), the Sussex summer school, ?Tring, ?Hammond, Elmhurst junior summer school, etc. Some or all may now be fully booked for this year but it's always worth asking as they may still have spaces.

Hi, thanks all for the swift advice, will look into the ones suggested though I think most start from 12 yrs!

That could be because some Ballet schools won't start teaching Graham/Cunningham/Release Contemporary at 10. They like students to be a little more mature before beginning Contemporary. At Central Associates, the first years (11-12) learned "Creative" dance as a pre-cursor to starting "proper" Contemporary in year 2.

You may have more luck at the Contemporary schools; it looks as though Rambert have a Junior summer course with Contemporary and Creative classes: http://www.rambert.org.uk/join-in/children-and-young-people/summer-schools/

And as taximom suggested, The Place: http://www.theplace.org.uk/contemporary-rhythms-georges-hann-9-11s

Thanks everyone, this forum is totally brilliant! Now seems she will be spoilt for choice, only thing is they all fall on same week that dd is on waitlist for rbs summer school!!! Has anyone's dc done the rambert or the place summer school? Both look great.

• Like 1