Find Friends App

Jazzpaws

For those who have i phones, this is brilliant !!

This weekend, the morning DD was due home, she wasn't picking up her phone. I went to the station to pick her up and no DD !!!

I was then having FORTY FITS, as was her best friend who was also frantically texting her(while attempting to revise). Fortunately her friends and the helpful staff at Student Castle woke her by knocking on her door. She had overslept , and wasn't lying dead in a gutter somewhere after being attacked on her way home (everything went through my mind! I just wanted to slap and hug her, but in the end I was just so pleased to see her (and she was very sorry).

Now we both have the app installed and I have just seen that she has just gone past Chelmsford on her way back to London. Brilliant !!!

I would really recommend this, it would have saved so much worry  :D

• Like 6

I think this is good if used judiciously!

That is not following ones DC every move but maybe on important journeys you are both involved in ...or she is making a journey she is worried about or not sure of etc etc .....then could be used I think.

It's trying to be reasonable so one is not seen to be sort of spying on them!!

• Like 1

Please remember it doesn't always work and can frighten you when it seems to show your DD abandoned on a railway line when in fact the signal is not so good and hasn't registered back to the app. Sat staring at my DD's static signal one evening, worrying that she was still 20 miles away when suddenly she appeared around the corner so yes indeed use judiciously.

• Like 2

Yes we use this when sending DS off on the trips too and from Birmingham - obviously it only works when connected to a network or Wifi so they appear to disappear if on the underground or in an area where the phone signal is poor etc .

It's quite reassuring and has even helped us to locate a phone left on a train !

Since he is still young it's a condition that he keeps it on in return for being allowed his independence and an iPhone !

I can usually garuntee that he won't go far without his phone !

• 2 weeks later...

Doesn't it invade privacy just a little - proceed with caution. I can understand the desire for parents wanting know a child's whereabouts and I'm sure it has its place but it does remove the 'independence' element of our children growing up. It's no different than having a tracker fitted!

• Like 1

We have friends who are seperated frequently because he works abroad a lot. They were telling us that he has this so that he knows of her wheteabouts whenever he wants to, he also has a camera feed so that he can watch the house when he's away. They thought it funny, We found it a bit odd! But each to their own.

• Like 4

I think it depends upon the age of the child and whether they know and consent to parents using this app or similar ones like "Find my iphone". For us the latter has come in handy when dd forgot to text us to let us know she'd arrived at Associates and her phone was on silent. The phone told us she was in the vicinity of school as opposed to some entirely different area of London. But she's just 16 - when she's 18 or older she may not want us to use the app and we will respect that.

• Like 3