Ballet Cymru associates

Ja Sm

Yes it is an excellent scheme. Send an email to Mandev. He and the others are SO helpful. Address is on their Facebook page or website I think. Unfortunately dd's heart is now with the RBS style of ballet (after doing JA's) and with her local schools way of teaching so has not really taken to it. She is always asking me to look for a Jazz class and a modern class though so is open to other styles. Very fussy about ballet though!

Great scheme though. They really work hard.

Thanks Piccolo. I am a bit intrigued though, in what way is the style different? Can you explain a bit more? Dd very classical in her heart and style and does RAD syllabus with her local school. We have no experience of JAs though, so can't compare there.

I did ballet Cymrus programme last year and loved it! I've always done RAD and haven't found the style any different. Feel free to pm me if you want anymore info x

My DDs have only ever done summer school and not the associate programme.  Both come from a RAD background and have never commented on a difference in style. They had friends there who only did Cechetti  and it suited them too. Obviously summer school was not based on a syllabus but the teaching was excellent.  If we had lived closer I would have had no hesitation in letting my DDs audition for their associate programme.  I am sure there will be others posting who have personal experience of associates as I know there are some on the forum.  I believe the auditions tend to be early -mid July with results not known until after their summer schools finish - so sometime in August.

My DD is RBS JA and loves ballet Cymru. She is too young to be their associate but we were planning to audition this year if she wasn't accepted at any of the vocational schools.

As she got a place at voc school she will apply for ballet cymru summer school instead. She did several workshops with the company and always loved it. What I like as a parent is the student: teacher ratio.

My daughter is a Ballet Cymru Associate, she became one after doing Summer school last year.

Summer school was fabulous for my DD as she was put up with the seniors due to her grades so she was around two years younger than the next youngest. She learn't so much and the teaching was brilliant. She was challenged but never out of her depth.

However, the Associates are organised by age rather than ability and although the standard of the teaching is still very good, my DD is two or three grades above the level being taught which she has found frustrating. As we travel a fair distance to get there she will not be continuing.

Not a criticism of the scheme, just something to bear in mind.

That is such a shame loulabelle. Have you spoken to them? I know of a few Associates that moved into Seniors even though they were younger than the majority of the group. They are such an approachable group it would be such a shame to lose your DD if she is enjoying their classes if they are happy to move her to the older group. Let us know how you get on.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...