Places to eat near the Peacock Theatre

Lemongirl

We're going to watch the LCB ballet tomorow afternoon.

Can anyone recommend somewhere we can eat beforehand at around 3pm ish?

Also will the traffic be a nightmare because of the London marathon? Not sure if driving or tube is easier..?

There are plenty of eateries up Kingsway, and just off there, e.g. Great Queen Street, and I believe the post-fire roadworks have finished now.  I'd have thought it was a bit far from the marathon course to make much difference, but of course I could be wrong.

What are you looking to eat?  A snack, a main meal, or what?  

Central line get off at Holborn. Turn right out of the tube and walk all the way down Kingsway almost to the end of the main road. You'll see the theatre on the left. On Kingsway and just off it in side roads are quite a few restaurants. We went to Strada and used our Tesco vouchers ((-:

I'm not sure about that Cafe Rouge. When I went to try and print off a CR discount voucher on Friday, it didn't show up on the list. They have closed a few branches in the area recently, but that wasn't among them. It might be closed for a refurb, or it could be that the Kingsway fire was the last straw and head office have decided to close it.

There's a Belgo on Kingsway, but I haven't eaten there for years. As I said, quite a few eateries: you could try Google Maps and searching for restaurants around there. There's a Pizza Express down by Somerset House (and also one on ?High Holborn - you can cut through Lincoln's Inn Fields to the Peacock, it's quicker) and I think there's still a Thai restaurant and an Indian one down there, though I've never tried either.

I like Strada, BTW - and convenient for the ROH, too. Actually, there's also one in Tavistock Street, down the Aldwych end of Covent Garden. And a Cote. And lots of restaurants down in that little bit between The Lion King and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, although I'd imagine that both shows do a Sunday matinee and therefore it's likely to be busy round there.

I think I'll move this into Not Dance - you may get more nibbles (pun not intended) there.

• Like 1

Bit late posting this but we went for afternoon tea at a restaurant in a hotel just opposite tube station but can't remember the name. DD thought it was great as highly amused with having crusts cut off when I've been telling her to eat her crusts for years!

She completely filled up on cakes and scones after the sandwiches and didn't want anything else to eat all evening! (Future reference etc)

We watched Snow White too at 12.30 show and absolutely loved it! Her best friend was Doc (dwarf) and she was really proud of her.

We both thought the evil queen was gorgeous to watch and the prince :)

• Like 1

Must have been the hotel at the end of Great Queen Street, I suppose? Its name escapes me, but we had our work Christmas lunch there quite a few moons ago now. I seem to remember some very space-age loos ...

Perhaps I should have mentioned what appears to be Lauren Cuthbertson's favourite eatery, Delaunays, too, on Aldwych, although I'm not quite sure what they serve.

Must have been the hotel at the end of Great Queen Street, I suppose? Its name escapes me, but we had our work Christmas lunch there quite a few moons ago now.

The Kingsway Hall Hotel, I think it's called.

BTW, I went down Kingsway yesterday looking for somewhere to eat between the matinee and evening performance at the ROH.  I can confirm that the Cafe Rouge is open again (I suspect it may have needed a good redecorate, since it's a lot closer to where the fire apparently was than I'd realised), and that these days there are a LOT of eateries down Kingsway - probably every second establishment!