TV Licence Woes

Lisa O`Brien

Just received a letter, written in red,from TV Licensing,telling me I owe them the astronomical sum of £24.24,and that if it isn`t payed IMMEDIATELY,my details will be passed to a debt collection agency. Why doesn`t TV Licensing spend its time and resources chasing after the probably thousands of people who have NEVER payed their TV Licence,rather than someone who has just missed two payments,for Heaven`s sake.?

They do, don't worry.  We seem to be on their database twice, so every now and then we get a letter telling us that we're naughty and they're coming to get us.  I renewed the licence a month or so ago, so I expect another letter in the not-too-distant future.  How on earth you can get two database entries for the same address I don't know.  If they provided a Freephone number I might bother ringing them back and telling them, but they don't, so I won't.

• Like 1

My Mum used to pay for the utilities weekly and was so paranoid about owing money that she overpaid. On one summer gas bill we were over £600 in credit so she decided not to pay for a couple of weeks. After 3 weeks she got a horrible letter demanding that she back-paid the missing 3 weeks!!!

It is terribly hard to get in contact with these companies and get them to change the details they have for you.

A friend of mine still gets a tv licence reminder addressed to her father.  He died 10 years ago, as she has tried telling them on numerous occasions. 

That`s insane,Vonrothbart. It`s always the way,isn`t it? if someone in "authority" owes us money,that`s OK, they can take as long as they like. But God help Joe Public if they owe anyone even a small amount. Double standards.

• Like 3

The local council owe my daughter at least 12 grand, probably more, that has taking so long to settle, her solicitor is now dealing with it, yet she got a nasty reminder for a lousy £8. It's a crazy world we live in at times.

Why do they owe her so much money?  Just curious, so if you don't want to say, then that's ok, but it does seem an awful lot of money!

That reminds me of an article I read some years ago, when payment on the internet first started being used.  A journalist paid his bill for something on line.  I can't remember what it was for ( tv licence? council tax?) but at the time, payment by internet wasn't recognised by the system they were using, only cheques or cash, so their accounting system kept sending him letters saying he hadn't paid.

On each occasion, he telephoned, wrote letters, and sent copies of his bank statement to prove the money had been removed from his account.  He even got his bank to write on his behalf and say the money had gone to the correct account  On each occasion, they promised to sort it out, and a month later another threatening letter would arrive. 

Eventually he was taken to court, and I think the case lasted about 5 minutes, when they had to admit that he had paid and it was their mistake.  The judge was angry that time and tax payers' money had been wasted because the people concerned hadn't not updated their system to include internet payments. 

I'd better not say too much Fonty for obvious reasons, but it is something that has built up over a few years. It could well turn out to be even more than that mentioned, the crazy thing is, it was a council rep who informed my daughter of the error.

PS I love your username. 

Edited by Vonrothbart