Central - new premises?

Guest Autumn days

Guest Autumn days

As the comments about possible new premises for Central got lost in the now locked thread about the school, I thought I would post here. Does anyone know what is happening?

Perhaps I am missing something but Central isn't currently on the same site as Paris Gardens or even in Southwark. There was talk, several years ago, of this site being developped as student accommodation and the school but that hasn't materialised - unless the school has actually taken space in the building but has yet to publicise it. I believe te student accommodation is due to open his Setember.

Ian Macmillan, on 03 Mar 2015 - 3:49 PM, said:

Noting comments etc, above, on the state of the Central School premises - with which I'm not familiar - users may be interested in this link:

https://bdaily.co.uk...for-61-million/

What significance, if any, this acquisition may have for hope of improvement or for anything else, I leave to you.

Edit: I've now found that there are other, essentially similar, links around, but have seen none that add to what's here.

Edited by mum in a spin
  • Like 1

Dear Mum in a spin

My DD is currently at Central school of ballet. There has been talk of Central re-locating for several years but I imagine it is finances and the planning authorities that have brought it to a standstill at the moment... if indeed that is the case. The Paris Gardens site is student accommodation as it has its own website. I have never had a problem where Central is located at the moment. My DD commuted from Hampstead the first year and now resigns in student accommodation in the city. I have been very happy with the faculty at the school and would rather have excellent teaching than fantastic studios/accommodation. 

• Like 2

Guest Autumn days

Oh dear! I did not mean his to be another thread about the location or condition of the premises at all!!!

The article suggests that the school is on the same site as Paris Gardens and I KNOW that currently that is not the case. I just wondered if the article is completely wrong or if they know something that I don't. As I said, I know that back around 2009 there were plans to redevelop a site in Southwark to accommodate students and the school but it now looks as though the accommodation part has gone ahead alone.

Edited by mum in a spin

It appears that, innocently but ignorantly, I've set a hare running by posting that link.  Had Central School not been mentioned in it so prominently, I would not have done so.  And for what it's worth, similar pieces appear to have been run in the Evening Standard and Independent, both with ballet-related photos, and the Central reference as the leading 'fact.'  The authorities at the School may therefore be well aware of it all.  I would assume that it all comes from a Press Release from some company involved in the sale or acquisition of the Paris Gardens site.

However, and again for what it's worth, this appears on the School's homepage:

Thank you to everyone who supported Central in The Big Give’s Christmas Challenge in order to raise funds for our Satellite School in Southwark.

I intend to say no more on the matter!

Ah, that is for outreach work, Ian. If I remember rightly, Central run free "chance to dance" style classes in Southwark Primary Schools as part of their outreach and community work. The school held a big fundraising drive to raise money in order to continue and expand this initiative. As far as I know, this is the "Satellite School" mentioned:

https://secure.thebiggive.org.uk/projects/view/22227/satellite-school

From what I can remember, there have been murmurings and rumours about Central moving to new premises for years. Nothing concrete yet though (if you'll pardon the pun).

• Like 1

I still have a glossy brochure dated January 2009 outlining all the plans for the new school and student accommodation.  It had a "tear off" FREEPOST addressed post card for people to fill in and send to Southwark Council in support of the plans.  A few months later it was announced that planning permission for the school had been refused. 

Guest Autumn days

There are several fairly old articles about - such as the one below- that talk about a proposed project.

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/2987

I cannot help but wonder if some news editor has researched Paris Gardens because of the sale, assumed it all went ahead, searched for a ballet pic and syndicated widely! Looks like he moral is not to believe everything ou read in the press!!