Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui announced as new AD of Royal Ballet of Flanders

Courtesy of Cloud Dance Festival I have just picked up that Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui has been announced as the new Artistic Director of the Royal Ballet of Flanders.

It looks s if the press conference is still ongoing.

The twitter tag for the company is @BalletFlanders

Well, I assume that the company is going to move firmly into contemporary dance/ballet. I don't suppose that it will be doing Onegin or Don Q again in the foreseeable future, but perhaps its audiences prefer contemporary work. I wonder whether there will be a departure of some of the more classically minded dancers. It's a bit of a risk for female dancers to stay if all the work is performed barefoot or in ballet slippers.

• 2 weeks later...

Aileen:  I certainly had no impression of the Company being in a rut when I saw it in Samodurov's R&J just under a year ago:

http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/6053-royal-ballet-of-flanders-romeo-juliet-samodurov/?p=82355

Nonetheless, something was clearly amiss, as evidenced by Assis Carreiro's unsought departure on Day 1 of the next season, not many weeks later - and my guess is that the reason was probably not to be found on the stage but in machinations of some kind out in the background.  One day that may all become clearer.

I suspect it may be related to budgets!  So many European companies have gone this way over the last few years.  Generally a contemporary company has fewer dancers, without all the ranks of corps, coryphé, soloist, principal (and subdivisions within those ranks). The first time I remember it happening was when Rambert Ballet Company was told to reinvent itself as a Contemporary company or lose its subsidy!

Edited for spelling

Edited by Pas de Quatre

Yes, I rather suspect that the company may become smaller. If you are not putting on the classics with a large corps then you don't need 49 dancers and, as PdQ has said, contemporary companies are less hierarchical with all the dancers being expected to be able to dance everything.

• 2 months later...