Royal Conservatoire of Scotland Summer School

irishballetmom

Since we have a waitlist spot for White Lodge and we really don't think a spot at the Paris Opera Ballet Summer School will pan out (though we still are crossing fingers that we may luck into it!) I am starting to look into other summer schools and some that might not need an audition because if I am realistic, my daughter has facility for ballet but not the hours that any other 12 year olds might have...  RCS seems to fit this, and although non-residential, we think we could fit a family holiday into this and do day trips during her five days of classes, then a family trip later.

I couldn't find anything about the summer school when searching. Have any of your DC done this summer school? RCS is on our list of schools she will probably try for when she is 16, if her passion and dedication remain as they are now...thought it might be nice to get an early feel for the school!!

My friend (14) has gained a place at RCS summer school. She is tall but thin, beautiful feet and long arms and legs and both of us are taking our Inter Foundation this March with a few years but not much experience en pointe. I didn't apply because my birthday is before it and so I fall into the 15-18 category and they ask for advanced one but you DD seems good and I've heard really great things about RCS so I'd go for it, she's almost guaranteed a place!

Irishballetmum

If you're looking at Scotland look at Ballet West - an ideal way for the family to get a holiday at the same time. It's residential if you wish.

Our experience is only of residential SS - you could also consider Elmhurst and Moorland which are ballet and Hammond which is a bit broader.

In general I would say don't get too hung up on RBS there are lots of other fabulous options.

We aren't fixated on RBS at all, lol, looking at RCS here! For 16 yr entry will look at a lot of options to try, I doubt we would even try RBS for that age! We don't need non-residential, just that there was no audition for the RCS summer school! Is there a summer school for younger children at Ballet West? Off to check it out! Would love any other recommendations for summer schools?

My DD has always loved ballet west summer school - small numbers and a beautiful location.The younger students are housed in the gorgeous main house.They are well able to cater for younger students - my DD was 11 or 12 the first time she went , knew no one and had a brilliant time. Older students are mixed with the schools vocational children.

• Like 1

Irishballetmum, I would definately consider Elmhurst Junior (3 days only though) Moorland or OPES

DD DID Elmhurst & Moorland last year & loved both. At Elmhurst there were vocational children but also twice a weekers. At Moorland she felt she was encouraged & there was one boy there new to Balley but selected on potential for a vocational place.

She's applying for OPES tgi year on the strength ofvthe wonderful lessons she has gad with one of their teachers who really knows how to bring out the best in children & up their confidence.

I did the Rcs summer school last year and absolutely adored it! I was in the senior group however which may be slightly different. We had ballet contemporary jazz pointe pdd solo variations and group variations we also did pilates.

There was a show in the last day that parents came to see.

The teachers were lovely and girls even more so! I highly recommend it ????

My DD did the Summer course last year and loved it although she was in the senior group, lovely studios, staff and dancers. We also went on holiday in Scotland and had a great time lots to do.. But have you thought of York  and the Yorkshire Ballet Summer School my dd went there when she was about 12 and loved it and also lovely area for a holiday.

DD did Shawbrook when she was 10 and loved it! Last year we did an intensive in Oregon near my parents house in the USA during our visit. We are looking to combine a holiday in UK (or France if a miracle occurred) and a summer school and were looking at all options!

We are looking at Yorkshire as well but although she will do her RAD Grade 5 exam in June she only has done Grade 3 at moment (albeit a high distinction) and they ask for Grade 4 or above and she has skipped the Grade 4 level... We will send in a form and a video link and photos but will have to see if she gains a place. There are so many program's available it really is wonderful!

• Like 1

DD did Shawbrook when she was 10 and loved it! Last year we did an intensive in Oregon near my parents house in the USA during our visit. We are looking to combine a holiday in UK (or France if a miracle occurred) and a summer school and were looking at all options!

We are looking at Yorkshire as well but although she will do her RAD Grade 5 exam in June she only has done Grade 3 at moment (albeit a high distinction) and they ask for Grade 4 or above and she has skipped the Grade 4 level... We will send in a form and a video link and photos but will have to see if she gains a place. There are so many program's available it really is wonderful!

I'd recommend Bristol Russian Ballet Summer School. This year they are doing an Easter Intensive Ballet Course from 29th March - 2nd April for Intermediate - Advanced Ballet students.

Their Summer school dates are 23rd August - 27th August for Intermediate - Advanced students. Subjects taught are: Ballet technique, Repertoire variation, Character Dance, Pas de deux.

21st July - 24th July for Pre-Intermediate - Intermediate students. Subjects taught are: Ballet class, Variation, Character Dance, Acting Skills.

Limited places available for all courses.

For more information see their website www.bristolrussianballetschool.com or contact by email: info@bristolrussianballetschool.com

My dd has attended their Summer Schools for the last two years and has really enjoyed them and finds them a really high standard. There are clips of the Summer Schools on You Tube (google Bristol Russian Ballet School or Yury Demakov).