Spring course at English National Ballet

Ja Sm

My dd has a place on this course in February and is really looking forward to it. Does anyone have any past experience or is anyone going this year? Also, looking at the map it seems that Fulham Broadway is the closest tube. Is it far from there, I am thinking about 10 minutes walk? And the final question, are there coffee shops close by as she likes to flop in one at the end of a dancing day?

Thank you all.

My dd will be doing this course again this year instead of an Easter course, as she will be revising for GCSEs then. She hasn't done ENBS for a couple of years but enjoyed the course so much. The students had the opportunity to show some ballet repertoire and contemporary work too at the end of the course.

Apparently, if you come out of school and turn left, then turn right at the end of Hortensia Road, stay on the right hand side of the road, cross the forecourt of Tesco Express, and at the next junction there is a nice cafe and coffee shop where my husband relaxed last time he took dd to ENBS. :-)

• Like 1

West Brompton tube is actually closer if you don't mind walking through West Brompton Cemetery - very pleasant in the summer - but you would need to check what time they close the gates in the evening at this time of year.  Fulham Broadway is about 15 minutes' walking time and there is, inevitably, very heavy traffic.  Various coffee shops near the station but, as the above post says, the nicer one is east of Hortensia Road on Fulham Road.

• Like 1

Chelsea Kitchen is the coffee shop I think you are referring to. Years ago it was on Kings Road, until priced out of the market. Was the best place to get decent food as a struggling student when really needed cheering up!

• Like 1

does anyone know if it's too late to apply for the spring course? I have had the application form printed off for ages but haven't got round to doing photos to send off with it!

You could phone them and ask but once selected we did have to send payment before 23rd January.

• 4 weeks later...

My dd thoroughly enjoyed her three days at ENB. She felt the atmosphere was very welcoming and the teaching superb. There were two groups based on age, I think, and she was in the younger one. They did ballet, pointe, repertoire and contemporary. There was also separate coaching for the boys. On the last day, they put on a 30 minute demonstation of class work for parents to watch and appreciate all the hard work the students had put in. I thought it was extremely polished and professional, with a real "show" feel about it and there were some stunningly beautiful dancers, particularly amongst the older girls. Even the exits and entrances were beautifully performed with style and flourish. My dd said that the atmosphere was very caring and natural, and the teachers were very approachable, making a real effort to get to know the students. She found the advice and corrections extremely valuable. She enjoyed the buzz of rehearsal on the last day for the parent demonstration, and it had a real sense of dancing as part of the corps. A real taster of ENB !

I hope others enjoyed it as much as she did.

• Like 6

My DD also enjoyed the course although she found the studios very hot.The teachers were friendly and welcoming.My DD felt the teaching was of high standard and she did get personal corrections.They covered a lot of ground in a few days and the show of work was delightful.

DD also loved it and it's been a perfect kind of "top up" to her training at the right time with regards to auditions.  We also want a break at Easter for GCSE revision!  Yes, it was split into two groups of those auditioning now and then the younger ones in separate group.  She also loved that there was such a mix of people from all over and enjoyed meeting the Australian girls who she said were amazing!