Editing audition photos

swanprincess

I've done my photos ready for Vocational school applications- it took nearly 2 hours. Because a professional photo shoot was too expensive, we used a white backdrop- I ironed it before we started, so it didn't look creased- but when looking at the photos, I realised that the backdrop looked vile, it was still creased, it ruckled up, and the shadows looked awful! Is there any way I can photoshop it, to neaten up the backdrop, without touching the actual position??

Edited because I somehow managed to submit the post before id finished it, grrr! ;)

Edited by swanprincess

When my dd was applying for vocational schools we took the photos at her dance school in the studio. I don't think it really matters. They are looking at the subject not the surroundings. My dd is now at vocational ballet school so it clearly did not matter.I would not worry as they will be looking at your body shape and turnout etc. Good luck with them.

We do ours in a village hall in front of the stage curtains or at home in front of a blank wall. I know plenty who have been accepted with similar scenarios. I really don't think they expect professional shots. I think having your dance teacher to help is good.

Also I think you are already an associate at a place you will apply to and I'm sure they won't look twice at your photos.....

Good luck and keep calm....

Thankyou for your replies :) I was just thinking that if i used the photos also as application photos for Elmhurst summer school, where the application is judged entirely on photos, would having a messy backdrop distract from the position? The arabesque was as good as it could be, which is why i'm not keen on re-doing them.... Thinking logically, no one would reject an applicant because their backdrop had shadows and was slightly creased- but at the same time, it doesnt look very professional...

I did mine in the dance studio, the floor is two different colours and there are a few cracks in the wall, but it was the best we could do. I really don't think they worry about the backdrop x

We sent wrong photos to Elmhurst last year and when I contacted them to enquire about sending the correct set they said not to worry and that they are only used as a reference - they were quite amused that we all get so worked up over the photos ... so ... keep calm and carry on - it will be your dancing on the day that will be the decider.Photos,leotards and hair will be secondary to the potential you show. Good luck!

• Like 4

When my DS sent photos for RBS summer school they were done in a school dance studio (and I mean state school not ballet school) so walls covered in posters, windows and barre in the background, nothing at all like a professional photoshoot. And I had to add in a screen shot from a bit of film footage because we forgot the plie shot, so that was all fuzzy (as screenshots from film often are). He still got a place. As long as they can see you reasonably clearly I doubt they even think about the background.

Good luck :)