Where to take classes in London and Paris?

tatballerina

I like Pineapple in London, there's a wide range of class levels. However, if you (or your friend) is only coming along for one class in the evening, for example, you could be paying £15.00 for an hour's class because you need to pay a membership fee as well. To me, this is quite expense for just an hour's class, but I don't know how this compares with other class rates in London. Maybe other forum users/readers could help out and give out costs and length of classes?

I would be interested to hear about what classes are available in Paris too! :)

• Like 1

A word of caution.  The word "intermediate" or "advanced" level does not necessarily mean the impression those words give in plain English in London ballet studios, particularly for adult drop - in class.

When you look at the level guidance, see what level class comes after beginners/beginners+ level.  Most London studio uses "elementary" to mean "intermediate".  In such studios," intermediate" are actually "advanced".  The level descriptions given by some of the studios are not really helpful, so it is better not to rely on them.

From what you have written,  I think a class described as "general" is a safe bet to start with...

Edited by mimi66
  • Like 1

There used to be very famous dance studios where you could attend open classes on the Rue de Clichy called Studios Paris Centre. Molly Molloy used to teach classes there. Don`t know if it`s still there or not.

• Like 1

There is Centre du Marais, very old building though but lots and lots of classes and big timetable. I always found it overrated but some people swear by it...

And there is Rick Odums for contemporary and jazz. 54 rue de Clichy, 75009 Paris.

My favourite one though is Centre des Arts Vivants, 11 rue Bréguet, 75011 Paris. It's a fantastic place full of dancers of all sorts.

If you go online, you'll see their timetable. Lots of jazz and contemporary classes of different levels and styles, Horton, Graham, tap, Modern... With an amazing Ballet teacher, Dimitra Karagiannopoulou, she's a Bolshoi trained dancer and teaches Vaganova. She's very precise and strict when it comes to technique but also funny and caring and always trying to get the best out of students. She teaches an Advanced class early afternoon on Tuesdays and Thursdays and an Intermediate one on Tuesday evening and Thursday morning. She has a Professional class also at Rick Odums on Fridays.

Hope it helps!

• Like 2

Probably the most reasonable cost wise in London are the evening and weekend classes at Central.....this is just off the Farringdon Road in Herbal Hill in North London but the website shows all the classes.

There may of course be some teachers taking summer breaks if your friend is coming July /August so worth checking this out first. Central only usually charge about £8 for a class of one and a half hours which is incredibly reasonable.

Danceworks has a daily membership fee which used to be about £3 so you have to add that to the cost of classes. But there are lots of classes here and it's just off Oxford Street near Selfridges. I don't use Danceworks that often but I do prefer it to Pineapple which I find a bit too noisy and frenetic generally. Probably great if you like jazz etc!! I think there are also some very good well established ballet teachers at Danceworks so for me better for ballet but Pineapple may be better on the jazz side.

If your friend likes more Vaganova style then there is London Russian in Clapham (near Clapham Common tube) and they usually keep their adult classes going into mid to late August. These will cost £13 for an hour and a half (which can morph into two hours on occasions) but there is a way of reducing the cost if you book for so many classes upfront etc which may not suit a temporary visitor of course.

Hope this helps a bit anyway.

• Like 2

Guest BD19

Roland Price & Ian Knowles am classes at Pineapple are the classes to take if you are truly advanced, but I don't recommend she take them as I'm pretty certain she's not as advanced as you or she would like to think she is. These are professional classes and are extremely hard.

The elementary level classes at Pineapple are pretty bland except for Ian Knowles teaches a later elementary class which I'm certain would be better for her.

Anna Du boisson at Danceworks teaches a good elementary class every day and is used by a lot of professionals as a getting back in shape after injury class or warm up class.

Mark Silver & Lorien Slaughter teach very good classes but I've only been to the pro class, see if they teach an elementary. Don't go to a professional level advanced class it's a waste of money, the teacher will ignore her and she'll leave feeling pretty rotten.

Denzil Bailey and Raymond Chai teach all over London at The Place, Danceworks, Pineapple, the classes are perfectly good and I'm sure would stretch her.

Don't go to advanced classes if you don't have a pro level of technique or aren't a professional.

• Like 5

Natalia Kremen Ballet School in Kensington, London is very good. All the teachers have trained in vocational schools and danced on stage proffesionally. Each gives a lot of advice and encouragement and the classes concentrate heavily on technique.

I'm not sure if this will be in the time that you'll be there but there will be a summer school from 28th July - 2 August. the deadline for the application is 25th May.

The school has both a website and a facebook page for more information.

Hope this helps.  :)

Edited by TheMightyTwiglet
  • Like 1

Natalia Kremen Ballet School Summer Intensive is for students up to 16 years old.

At the moment the school time table doesn't include a group ballet lesson for older students but this may change in September.

There is though a "PAS DE DANCE" class every Wednesday at 7.30pm at Royal Garden Hotel Health Club for adults. The class combines Pilates, barre work and ballet steps to help you stay fit and to improve flexibility.

Edited by Tykva
  • Like 1