The Royal Ballet Pointe Shoe Appeal

Yasmine Naghdi is a First Artist and Marcelino Sambé is an Artist with The Royal Ballet. They are the two dancers featured in this year’s Pointe Shoe Appeal campaign.The Royal Opera House Pointe Shoes Appeal Competition entrants will be invited to guess how many shoes are contained within the tower to enter the chance to win a pair of tickets to a Royal Ballet in Rehearsal Insight Event on 24 April with tea and cake beforehand, and a backstage tour of the Royal Opera House.

Designed by acrylic designers Talbot Designs, the tower will sit in the Royal Opera House until Thursday 17 April. Visitors will be invited to guess the number of shoes in the tower submitting their answers by posting a postcard into the tower, or Tweeting or Instagramming a photo of the tower with their guess using the hashtag #PointesWinPrizes 

For further information about the Pointe Shoe Appeal please visit:  http://www.roh.org.uk/support/donations/fundraising-appeals/pointe-shoes-appeal

13383226444_b041b20cd2_z.jpg
Marcelino Sambe and Yasmine Naghdi launch the Pointe Shoes Appeal
© Dave Morgan. Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

13383224504_cbd0730c11_z.jpg
Yasmine Naghdi helps launch the Pointe Shoes Appeal - by finding one of her own old shoes
© Dave Morgan. Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

See more...
Set from DanceTabs: The Royal Ballet Pointe Shoe Appeal
Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

By kind Permission of The Royal Ballet

• Like 5

Magnificent photos Dave. Thank you.

Let's hope they'll raise a lot of money for the Pointe Shoe Appeal.

I'll be happy to donate as these young dancers always give me so much pleasure whenever I watch a RB performance ( and especially in their Pd3 "Giselle" :) !!)

Edited by Nina G.
  • Like 2

Many other companies have similar appeals, and which fans have wasted no time in drawing attention to. But I think this has just been newly press released, includes a competition for RB fans to enter (and win a modest prize) and they had the good sense to have a photocall as well - so we all get to see nice pictures too. All that being the case I thought I'd draw attention to it!

Edited by Bruce
  • Like 2

It certainly was a pleasure photographing these two young, up-and-coming dancers - and so close too! Chances like this don't come along very often, so I was so happy to be there. Hats off to both of them, for tolerating us photographers demands so willingly and helpfully, and with such grace and good will. I hope they bolster the appeal enormously!  :-)

• Like 4

If they are Freed and made especially for the dancer then the dancer's surname is usually on the bottom of the shoe - hence the "Cope" written on the top pair.

I agree it would have been nice were the shoes all signed on the box/wing in case their soles were hidden. As you say, Nina, it would have been fun to identify more of the shoes. :-)

• Like 1

The shoe tower will be 'parked' near the cloakroom I believe, if anyone wants to have a look at it.

there were a few shoes with names on the bottoms (Freeds I guess) - though Yasmine was very good at spotting the owners of a good few of them, by the way they were sewn and/or wear and tear marks.

• Like 1

The shoe tower will be 'parked' near the cloakroom I believe, if anyone wants to have a look at it.

there were a few shoes with names on the bottoms (Freeds I guess) - though Yasmine was very good at spotting the owners of a good few of them, by the way they were sewn and/or wear and tear marks.

It's beside the small information desk by aisle A of the cloakroom.  Those who follow me on twitter may have seen my selfie beside it!

• Like 1

Leave it to the experts, eh?

They're lovely photos, Dave.