Contemporary - colleges and holiday courses advice please...

amum/Cathy

I'm posting on behalf of a girl at our dance school who is becoming interested in the idea of studying contemporary dance at college at 18. She has a very strong ballet training (advanced 1)and has done jazz and modern to a high level as well, but no formal contemporary training(and I'm always a bit vague as to how different modern and contemporary are in what they cover!) Anyway I'm wondering if anyone can advise on Easter/summer courses that would be suitable for her to learn a bit/catch up/try it out to see if a college course would be right for her?

AND, could people recommend colleges to think about for contemporary courses? I know Northern School of Contemporary Dance in Leeds is a good one to consider for those of us based up North (and I see they offer a summer course, has anyone done it?), and then there's Rambert and London Contemporary Dance............. that's as far as my knowledge goes!

Colleges I can add Trinity Laban for contemporary dance.  I believe all the ones you mention and Laban offer summer courses but no experience of these to give you.  I do know of a couple of people who have recommended the summer school/workshops at National Dance Company Wales.  DD is considering doing a contemporary rather than ballet summer school this year.

Thanks 2dancersmum, Katymac, chaperone and taxi4ballet that sounds really helpful, I'll pass it on :)  

I don't know whether she would be interested in residential or non residential contemporary holiday courses so anyone's experiences of either would be welcome.

The Place - thee home of London Contemporary Dance School and Richard Alston dance Cmpany run Easter and Summer Intensives where you can choose what to do and at what level. They are non residential but the YHA on Euston Road is very good and only literally around the corner opposite the British Library. I would certainly recommend these sessions.

• Like 2

That sounds really great Taximom - I tried to figure out from the website what ages they are for as my DS will be only 12 but loves contemporary - he fits the criteria for experience ...also not sure if he would be Ok in a youth hostel at that age .

Most contemp courses are for older children it seems .

That sounds really great Taximom - I tried to figure out from the website what ages they are for as my DS will be only 12 but loves contemporary - he fits the criteria for experience ...also not sure if he would be Ok in a youth hostel at that age .

Most contemp courses are for older children it seems .

Have a look at Participation - Young People - Holiday Projects - Youth Intensives these are for 9 - 16 year olds and require no previous experience. If you are uncertain give them a call as they are always very helpful and will point you in the most appropriate direction. There is also a little gem in their cafe which has wonderful dancers food and is soo friendly.

• Like 1

Perhaps 12 is a bit too young to be tooing and throwing around London on ones own really!

You could check Anna du Boissons school in west London......they may do holiday courses and are aimed more at the younger teens!

I'd also keep an eye on the Rambert site as they also do some courses aimed at that age group too. But probably 14 is a better age to be coping more on own.

I wonder if there is something more local Billyelliott......will keep my ears and eyes open!

• Like 1

Hi just heard about this place based in Lewes East Sussex today.

They are called Kaleidoscope Theatre and have regular classes in mainly contemporary but other things for kids from 14-19 but they are also running a summer school this year from July28th to August 5th not sure of the details of this yet but may take slightly younger children for this.

This is their website.....unfortunately it wouldn't let me copy the URL for some reason

www.kaleidoscopetheatre.org.uk

Could be useful for some in the Sussex/ Kent area. The summer school will be held in Lewes (lovely place) at the Priory secondary school there.

• Like 1

It is just till August 1st not the 5th

There will be three groups......one being 11-16 year olds so they may be worth a ring to find out a bit more of what it will entail.....looks like the contemporary dance is part of it but geared towards a theatre (rather then pure dance) performance at the end.

Apart from the summer school this place sounds great for kids interested in dance, drama and theatre generally.

I see they've just added a new adult contemporary class on tuesdays....so depending on the level may give this a look over as well!! As is easier for me to get to and easier for parking than Brighton!! At the moment Tuesday is one of my non dance days so until foot is completely better will leave it that way but could be a future option!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

WatkinsDance Contemporary Summer Course Age 14-19 at the Rambert School, London 2nd - 5th August 2014

Are you aged 14-19 and looking for something to keep you engaged this summer?

WatkinsDance Summer Course 2nd-5th August 2014. Ballet, Contemporary, African, Creative and WatkinsDance Rep. Guest teachers include: Bawren Tavaziva, Hannah Kidd, Holly Noble, Katie Cambridge and WatkinsDance dancers Lauren Wilson and Ellen Yilma.

Fee:£150.

To book your place please download a booking form from the website and send to: Anna@watkinsdance.co.uk http://www.watkinsdance.co.uk/WatkinsDance-Summer-Course.html