advice please for EYB auditions

Luckyshoes

Hi all,im hoping someone can offer me some advice...my DD wants to audition for the EYB Swan lake..ive noticed on the application form it says junior 8- 11 years old and senior 12-18 year olds...well my daughter is 11 at the time of the audition but 12 only 3 weeks later..so would be 12 if she was lucky enough to be picked at the time of production...she is currently studying grade 6 and has only just gone on pointe...are the seniors expected to be on pointe as they will have a larger part in the production i preume?.....i dont know what to do for the best...should i let her audition for the juniors or seniors ?? could anyone offer any advice. are the 2 auditions a vast difference in abilities ??

She will audition with the juniors if she is 11 on the audition day :) have fun it a lovely experience!!

They will put juniors en pointe so don't worry the casting is done on ability and height etc regardless of whether they did junior or senior audition :)

Cx

Edited by charlie4dancin
  • Like 5

I agree with C4D. Which audition she does won't affect what part she gets as the parts are not allocated until the casting which happens on the first day of rehearsals, so I would just enter her for the correct audition ie junior as she is 11 on the audition day. But if you are concerned, drop Miss Lewis an email to check, she's always very helpful.. My DD is currently doing her 3rd EYB and has done the senior audition each time and has never been asked to do pointe work at the auditions so don't worry. Your DD will get the chance to show her pointe work at the casting.Not all the seniors are on pointe anyway actually, and one of the things I like best about EYB is that everyone gets a decent amount of time on stage. It really isn't the case that the seniors hog the limelight and the younger ones make up the numbers - in fact from what I've seen sometimes the younger children get the most appealing parts! They alter the choreography according to the number, heights and ability of the cast and I don't think there are any "bad" parts at all. Certainly my DD and eveyone else we know who have done EYB have enjoyed it and learned something, whether they are 8 or 18. My best advice to your DD would be to smile, show enthusiasm, and do her best even if any of the steps are unfamiliar.

• Like 4

can't thankyou enough for the replies..that is so helpful to me...i was worried that if i sent her for the junior audition..if she got picked when the casting is done they might say she should have auditioned for the seniors as she would be 12 by then...this site is so wonderful for a novice ballet mom....daughter is a lovely little dancer but had a rejection for the mid associates..so i thought this would be a good experience for her..ive heard nothing but good reports about the EYB..so fingers crossed....a bonus is that the child knows on the day ....all that waiting for the associates response was pure torture,,lol....thanks again everyone and anyone that might put a further reply on xx

• Like 2

Its a lovely experience from the audition through to casting and rehearsals then performance. This is my DD's first year and she is having a ball!! She is only into day 4 of rehearsals and absolutely loving it, she is making new friends, having fun and loving doing lots of dancing, enjoying being taught by various teachers, learning new routines and embracing the whole experience.

Ax

• Like 4

My dd auditioned and performed in the Nutcracker with EYB when she was 11, in grade 6 and only a few months on pointe.

After applying, we were sent the details and given the senior audition. I phoned them to check whether this was right, and they said it was because of the grade she was in, so she auditioned with the 12 - 18's.

There was no pointe work in the senior audition, but the girls who successfully auditioned were asked to bring pointe shoes to the casting.

Talk to you dd's ballet teacher and see if she thinks your dd will be ready to dance on pointe by the time of the show, if not, then you can always 'forget' to take pointe shoes to the casting!

• Like 2

I would also advise you to speak to Miss Lewis beforehand. The age limits aren't set in stone, it also depends on grade and experience. My dd's just done Swan Lake in Dartford and had an amazing time. One of the mums said that at the senior audition, one girl was struggling with the steps and Miss Lewis said she wishes her mum had called her beforehand, she would have advised her to do the junior audition. Hence she didn't get a place but might have done in the junior.

I would take pointe shoes to the casting even if they've only done it for a short while. There are plenty of non-pointe parts but if you don't take the shoes you won't have the option.

• Like 2

Tracey47, please do ask your dd's ballet teacher for advice about dancing on pointe in the performances, as my dd went from 5 minutes on the barre at the end of class once a week to rehearsing in pointe shoes all day...

As she is still only 11, it would be better to err on the side of caution.

• Like 4

Hi all thanks for the replies and advice. i have decided to stick with the junior audition as DD is only 11 at the time of audition....the last thing i want is to put her forward for the senior audition and she feel uncomfortable as she doesnt know the steps. and therefore not enjoy it. to be honest sometimes talking to other ballet moms at the school i kind of get swept along with what they are saying and with the whole ballet scene....and what my daughter should and should not be doing at this stage...ive decided not to push her...she wants to do the junior one so that is exactly what she will do...im rambling now...have a good weekend all xxx

• Like 8