Ballet practice skirt?

dancingmuppet

On the Elmhurst junior summer school uniform list it asks for a short practice skirt, which I assume is something a bit like what is worn for RAD primary. Looking at various dancewear sites online there are quite a range of styles, would an elasticated pull on one be better or a wrap one, or does it really not matter?

For younger girls I would go with elasticated pull on skirts as they tend to stay on better than the tie ones. Now dd is older she loves her tie-on skirts but when she was 11 or 12 they used to tend to come undone and annoy her. Even the ones with button fastenings used to need altering so I used to buy her this one:

http://www.movedancewear.com/tutus_and_skirts-bloch_pullon_ballet_skirt/558/

• Like 1

Do you think it matters what colour they wear, should they match their leos? Should I opt for the safe black or will any colour do? I have seen some pretty patterned ones and DD does already have one in Royal blue. Doubt she'll wear a royal blue leotard though.

What a lot of questions over a tiny skirt, sorry!

Edited by Loulabelle

Couple of years back I made a variety of skirts for the girls in DS year.  They ranged from plain black to quite psychedelic ones.  They have been worn at both summer schools and in class.

Maybe it's worth checking if they actually need a practice skirt, even if it's on the list, especially if your daughter's not likely to wear it any other time  - anything to avoid extra expense, I'd have thought!

Good point Rowan. I asked a friend whose dd is at Elmhurst what this meant and she explained that it was the short tie up skirt mentioned above. She also said that it is on the kit lt for f/t students, but in her dd's experience, rarely worn. Not going to buy one specially.