A Letter From Your Dance Teacher

Ian Macmillan

Very wise. We had a situation where a pianist reported a teacher at vocational school for his treatment of my son and another lad. When asked my son refused to complain. I was furious. This teacher was a foul bully, a disgrace. But my then 17/18 year old said, Mum if I can't cope with this what hope have I in the dance world. He said he just isn't a nice person that's all. Great maturity.

• Like 5

My daughter loves getting corrections as she says it means the teacher is looking at you. As for all the knock backs and sheer hard work, look no further than any good vocational school, where the kids don't go home they have to suck it up and get on with it if that is what they really want. I couldn't do it nor would I want to.

• Like 2

I can see both sides of this - as a teacher I agree with the last two posts. Some of my pupils over the years have taken what I considered constructive feed back personally and we have had to have a conversation to resolve the problem. However, I think there is a balance; even with good intentions teachers can badly dent the confidence of a young person. Unfortunately, the important years of their education take place when they are most vulnerable to criticism albeit constructive.

• Like 2

Tulip my DD loved this "My daughter loves getting corrections as she says it means the teacher is looking at you"

She said I always knew it was good (getting corrections) but that gives me the words to explain why

My dd concurs with the "more corrections = more attention" idea. She has said many times in the past that she wishes her teachers were more like the Russian stereotype ballet teachers, even if it was tough.

So this year she has a Russian teacher and although she is not as brutal as the stereotype, she can have a sharp tongue and she defineately pushes harder then her past teachers. And dd will be the first to acknowledge that this is keeping her at the top of her game.

For a student, I guess it depends on how serious you are about excelling. If you are not in it to win, then your tolerance will be much lower. If you want to go all the way, you will want to be pushed to your limits. Even if that means putting up with some harsh words along the way.

• Like 2

Until you have seen it, don't wish for it as the grass always looks greener!

My dd has had many old school Russian teachers and I am fortunate to be able to watch the classes.Some of the teachers do get great results with the harsh approach.I have seen many kids crying in class and sometimes the teacher has gone over the top.But those teachers are very passionate and really want the students to do well.Getting lots of corrections is another thing,that's great.I don't think in the Uk you will ever have have those type of teachers,they would be sacked, believe me!