London Amateur Ballet Summer School

Miss Sparkle

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, there is another thread running on LAB http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/2615-london-amateur-ballet-summer-intensive-2013/

There are a few of us from BalletCo going, did you do the Swan Lake Workshop a couple of weeks ago at Sadlers Wells? 

PS and welcome from me too.

Edited by Michelle_Richer

I'm going :) nervous and excited ;) And welcome to the forum Sx

I find that so hard to believe, you have 15 times more experience that me, and I’m really looking forward to it, wouldn’t miss it for the world.

Im far more worried about another situation where the opposite is true, about trying to fit in another on-stage performance 50 miles away between our show matinee in the afternoon and the evening performance. I don’t know if my ballet teacher at the AnglesTheatre will allow me to escape after my matinee performance but before the final curtain call at the end. The travel logistics may be incredibly tight other than a helicopter, but if it’s only just feasible, then I will go for it. I will check out the timing and my teacher’s attitude next week.  

I live too far away to sensibly commute every day, it’s over 100miles and the first 25 has to be done by car. I will be coming down by car all the way, leaving it at the hotel and walking down to Lantern’s each morning. I have also booked the show at the Coliseum, but I don’t know how many will go; I hope I’m not on my own.

I have also booked the Friday night at the hotel in case there is a celebration after our performance Friday evening, as I don’t want to drink and drive.

I'm coming to this too! I can commute across London so don't need a hotel but will have to get up early.

I did a contemporary summer intensive years ago and it was mostly utterly fantastic, although I was in too high a level group for some things and struggled to keep up. I had noticeably improved by the end of the week, I'm hoping this will do the same for my ballet...

Normally I would stay with family and commute in to London but it's just too much hassle so my friend and I are staying in the docklands for the duration of the intensive. We booked a hotel as soon as we knew that we had secured a place as the prices seem to increase week on week - for the same hotel room - the later you leave your booking. As I learned to my detriment when my friend secured her room for the week £100 cheaper than I did by booking a few days later! A few other people who attend one of our weekly classes have expressed an interest in attending so if there are any spaces left to snap up there may be a contingent of us arriving from the North!

I have my Swan Lake costume sorted: my friend attended Move It and ordered one of the gorgeous white Intermezzo Leotards from Just Ballet for me which arrived last week, I have to say the order  was so beautifully presented I loved the attention to detail and the tissue paper packaging! We also ordered the same romantic tutu using the link that Tom from LAB provided for the company on ebay. They are very much like the Royal Ballet Swan Lake tutus that the corps sport. I'm tempted to buy one of the Intermezzo tutus which are more Giselle like too!, http://www.dancedirect.com/uk/Products/Ballet/TTRA/romantic-ballet-tutu-dancewear-plume-ttra/

I think I need one of those ticker tapes that count down so I know that's LAB is getting nearer apart from its still 100 and odd days to go!

Edited by lartiste
  • Like 1

I'm commuting, as we only live an hour away by train and that way the family won't notice my absence as much ;) Although I have booked to see Carlos on the Wed night so a hotel may be more sensible that night!

Michelle I may have more experience of executing steps, but my performance experience is nil, and confidence about the same - hence the nerves!

Lartiste my white leo is on order too! I hope it looks half as good as yours :) I'll send you a pm about the romantic tutus!

• Like 1

Hi JB

Was hoping to see Tom tonight as I know he teaches level 3 at ENB.  but level 3 was a lady teacher tonight, I cannot remember her name but we did have a good chat. I just dare not send him another email chasing him for info, but I would like to know what standard we are working too. I can only assume it’s as per The Royal Ballet. That what I will have to prep for, as I dont have your experience.

Yay Just Ballet we can match! I'm sure your leotard will look fabulous! I have just been informed by my friend that 2nd August is the evening of our Swan Lake performance. This is also the evening that I happen to have booked a ticket to see Zakharova in La Bayadere as I misread the timetable and thought we wrapped at 4pm on Friday, apart from that is not the case the rehersals end at 4pm on Friday and the performance is in the evening. This is not one of my better plans and now places me in an interesting position.

The Bolshoi only visit London every 3 years so if I don't go on 2nd I may never see a Bolshoi Bayadere featuring Zakharova as they will most probably change the repetoire for the 2016 tour, on the other hand it's a once in a lifetime opportunity to perform - cough make a fool of myself on stage cough - in Swan Lake. Decisions, decisions.

Thanks for the PM Just Ballet! If I had known that you also stocked tutus I would have ordered this http://www.justballet.co.uk/shop/adult-1/just-ballet-4-layer-romantic-tutu/ as the tutu I have only has a waistband and not the full shorts underneath :(

http://s1324.photobucket.com/user/1balletomane/media/002_zps705dee4c.jpg.html

Hmm that's a tough call lartiste but after a week's hard work you must enjoy the performance! Perhaps you can exchange tickets for another night on the tickets session of this forum?

Michelle I wouldn't worry too much about prep, over and above regular ballet class. I'm sure others here can advise further, but I would imagine that Tom will be adjusting the RB steps for our abilities as we can't expect to roll up as adults and perform like the RB after a week ;) I

I should imagine the level would be about elementary/intermediate. Also I find it hard to "unlearn" steps once they're programmed into my body, so be careful if you're learning the waltz exactly as it is on the YouTube link! Although with you salsa experience your step changing skills are probably very good :)

I'll try not to worry about the performance, if you don't worry about the steps ;) Sx

• Like 1

Hi JB

As I have come from a professional background, preparation is everything and that has carried me though life very well.

I also take your point about unlearning, I think its better just to regard it as a different option, then this is something that can reside side by side, this is something I experience quite often with dealing with so many different ballet schools. Even last night at ENB, my local teacher would cringe at some of the things we were doing, in many cases there is some lee way in its interpretation, otherwise its just a set of steps.

As for worrying, not a chance, I’m there firstly to enjoy the experience and secondly to learn.

For me this is not just about LAB SI Week, it’s about me too, especially as I intend to do at least one performance a month by next year, most of them solo, so anything I can re-use will be an absolute bonus. I have already seen something from Act I that I want to add to my personal repertoire, which of course we will not be covering.

As for the Waltz, I just love it, the music too, but that sequence has several different dancing groups. I especially like the complementary developpe walk by the four; I wish I could get my legs that high, never the less I will have that practiced. So if the three of us have the Intermezzo leo’s, we only want one more then we have the four for the developpe walk ha ha.

Lartiste: Sorry to here about your double booking, I know how you feel, that happened to me ref posting #7 and I really don’t want to let either party down. Anyway after chatting to you at BRB I know you intend doing City Academy’s Swan Lake Summer School and they were talking about having a performance at the end, be it for special people like friends and family.

JB please drop me a PM or email re delivery dates etc plus I have some additions.

• 2 months later...

I have my romantic tutu, and tights, but I need more more than one leotard, so I'll be on a shopping expedition on Saturday. I'll be commuting from home, so I only need to worry about the dance bag.

I've got my ticket for Wednesday night, and I'm looking forward to that.

Am looking forward to some reports back on this LAB summer school!!

Will report back on Franziskas Saturday course tomorrow as just spent ages writing about the RBS performance at ROH which was very inspiring so no energy left now!!

Bag already packed (!) as I'm going on holiday on Friday and not coming back to my house before then. A form of procrastination as dance bag was easier to pack than holiday bag will be! Sadly I'm not coming to the Weds night because of commuting but I reckon quite a lot will be. Not long now!

Lin: A white romantic tutu and white leotard are the recommended outfit by LAB. Unfortunately one of my white leo's was lent out to a girl in our show, it was brand new and hasn't been returned yet. I guess I may have to replace it. I also have the proper tutu's for Swan Lake but it may be a bit inappropriate to take them, as they would be different to everyone else.

I have also booked ROH to see Bolshoi on the Thursday to see how they measure up.   

• Like 1

What's on on the Thursday is it Swan Lake? Should be terrific. Ive only booked Flames of Paris this time but as will be up in London a couple of days that week may try for a return etc but want to see Hallberg and he may be following week must check!!!

Back to thread so do you all have to have exactly the same romantic tutu or can you get them from different places? How much would such a tutu cost approx? Romantic sounds better than sticky out ones at least! (Wouldnt want people looking at my knees too much)

They gave us a couple of options of where to get them but I think as long as they look pretty much the same it's OK. Have they narrowed leotard colours down to white then? Because I'm sure I read white or pastel and mine is a pale green colour so hope I'm not the odd one out or have to order a white one I'd probably never wear again...

I’m not aware that LAB have changed the rules, so pastels will still be OK I have a couple of pastel pink leo’s with wrap round skirts, but I wouldn’t like to use the leo’s with a white romantic tutu. Since wearing a white leo for our show and again at a Romeo and Juliet workshop, I think white could become my regular wear for the rest of the summer if it stays hot as it is at the moment.

Yes Bolshoi are performing Swan lake on the Thursday.

Lin: My romantic tutu was £24.99 from Just ballet, I think the one LAB suggested was a little cheaper but it was only a two layer against Just Ballet’s of four. For me I really wouldn't mind dancing in a sticky out one as you put it.

Ah I really wish I was still going on this course! It sounds so exciting - a whole week of ballet!!

Tom says they're hoping to do a weekend course in the Autumn do I'll have to settle for that :)

I had to pull out as we've booked a family trip to Kenya, and the most exciting part for me is that this time there is ballet involved!

We are taking lots of leotards, skirts and shoes to an orphanage over there, where we sponsor a child, David. We normally take football kits etc but this year I thought why not take ballet to Watamu!

It now turns out that the orphanage school has its end of term ceremony whilst we're out there and they have asked us to teach the children a ballet routine!!!

Now bearing in mind Hannah and I are not teachers this could be interesting! That, coupled with the fact that the orphanage Mama says that the children's only experience of ballet is an Angelina DVD and they probably don't realise people do ballet, should make it a fun experience!

So whilst you're practicing your swan arms, think of us! Good luck to everyone on Friday and I hope you all enjoy the course.

PS we do have a selection of pale leotards, white Leo's and romantic skirts in regular and x-long lengths, as Michelle mentioned :)

• Like 4

Ah I really wish I was still going on this course! It sounds so exciting - a whole week of ballet!!

Tom says they're hoping to do a weekend course in the Autumn do I'll have to settle for that :)

I had to pull out as we've booked a family trip to Kenya, and the most exciting part for me is that this time there is ballet involved!

We are taking lots of leotards, skirts and shoes to an orphanage over there, where we sponsor a child, David. We normally take football kits etc but this year I thought why not take ballet to Watamu!

It now turns out that the orphanage school has its end of term ceremony whilst we're out there and they have asked us to teach the children a ballet routine!!!

Now bearing in mind Hannah and I are not teachers this could be interesting! That, coupled with the fact that the orphanage Mama says that the children's only experience of ballet is an Angelina DVD and they probably don't realise people do ballet, should make it a fun experience!

So whilst you're practicing your swan arms, think of us! Good luck to everyone on Friday and I hope you all enjoy the course.

PS we do have a selection of pale leotards, white Leo's and romantic skirts in regular and x-long lengths, as Michelle mentioned :)