London Amateur Ballet Summer Intensive 2013

lartiste

Monday 29th July - Friday 2nd August

http://www.londonamateurballet.com/

The website promises more information soon at the moment there are only dates for the summer intensive but I thought I would give a heads up to any ballet enthusiasts out there :)

I was planning to travel to Richmond Virginia to attend one of the Sun King ballet intensives in August but I may just make a trip to London instead - if I can attain a place, so exciting! I live outside London so I am not able to attend the LAB classes during term time, does anyone have experience of London Amateur Ballet and if so would you recommend it?

• Like 1

Just got home, see it in my emails, but I see lartiste posted it before me. I need to check date too, as I may be doing New York in August.

I have and another mailshot from a different New York ballet company (SAB) but same old story, upper age limit, however I have ask them to clarify the adult summer intensives just in case.

Looks like being a busy summer.

Edited by Michelle_Richer

You're welcome Just Ballet and thank you London Amateur Ballet for advising of more information! :) I've just sent through my details I hope we all are able to attain a place and if so I look forward to seeing everyone there. It looks like it would be an amazing experience!

• Like 1

It even looks affordable! This is getting better by the minute. I have never been on an intensive, being a late starter and strictly amateur, but have always wanted a taste of a professional dancer's life. A week with like-minded dancers, loads of tuition... my idea of heaven! Let's just hope there's enough space and I can get the holiday from work. Thank you for posting about this :)

• Like 1

It would be great if we could have a group of ballet co dancers on the course! I filled in the How to get involved box and sent an e-mail but I haven't heard back so I'm becoming concerned that I won't be able to apply for a space in time :(

• Like 1

It's promising to be a great week, we've got lots of people already signed up and everyone's sounding really eager! Really pleased to have so many of you from this forum too!

To answer Fullcontretemps' question, you qualify for the discount if we receive your deposit before March 1st... however I wouldn't leave it too long as places are filling up fast. (The final balance is due on June 14th)

• Like 1

Michelle, all I can say is in January, my tax return list comes before ballet - the only month of the year that anything does!

Looking forward to Feb for practice and polishing my tiara!

(joke - never worn one, or danced on a stage, so slightly nervous..but excited, like Christmas is round the corner?)

• Like 3

Hi Sheila

You have to remember I’m the baby of this class when it comes to ballet experience.

As for wearing a tiara and dancing on stage, I’ve done both, but only in social dancing context (Salsa). The tiara was for a couple of royal wedding theme nights, still got the tiara.

Yes it will be like Christmas come early, cant wait to find out what tutus we are supposed to get.

• 2 months later...

Just got the latest update from LAB

Nearly 60 dancers taking part from all over the world.

On the Wednesday evening there is a trip out to see Carlos Acosta’s show at the London Coliseum, dancers need to book their ticket now.

The repertoire in the main is Swan lake and we have been given the "Waltz of the Swans" to base it on from this link :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilaaFb9XHfM

However the gentlemen will have their own short piece in addition to Swan Lake, and will be working with James Streeter (English National Ballet).
Ladies will have their own pointe piece (or demi pointe for those not yet on pointe like me).

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Michelle is there a performance associated with this course. Too late for me this year but would like to see a performance if there is one!!

Does this LAB course not clash with the Chelsea Ballet one though(29th- 2Aug)

Just seen info on another thread about the LAB performance on the 6th July.....obviously not connected to the summer intensive of course. Maybe I will try to get along to this.....though because I will be up in London the following w/e (Franziskas course and RBS students performance which I will have to queue for returns this year as couldn't get ticket earlier on the Sunday) I don't think I'll be popular with R if want to go up this weekend as well!! The prob is the location will have to check whether can feasibly get back to Brighton from there afterwards as going for a half day might be better received than having to stay up AGAIN!!

Hi Lin

The LAB SI course is the week before Chelsea Ballet at Pineapple as I'm doing both  including City Academy's Swan Lake for the weekend between the two. Followed by Welland School of Dance where I think the rep will be on the ballet in Phantom of the Opera.

The LAB SI course does have a performance on the Friday night (2nd August), I'm not sure if its public or just friends and family. Its at the same place as the other one on the 6th July, I would have like to see that one too, but unfortunately I'm tied up with two public performances at the Angles Theatre on the 6th.

Hi yes I got worried about the Chelsea date and emailed Louise and she has just confirmed that it is the 5th August starting date.....I had it in my diary for the previous week for some reason( perhaps this was a previously discussed date ) Anyway luckily can still do it and in a way that week is better for me as the previous week is the last week of my friends from Oz stay.

I met Tom the founder and Artistic Director of LAB tonight at ENB, I ask if the performance was public or friends and family.

Tom conformed its not a public performance, but Lanterns Studio Theatre in Docklands can accommodate an audience of 250, but Tom would be happy for a large audience of friends around 100.

The rest of our chat I will leave for Tom information pack.