medical for vocational school

Just back from dd' s doctors appointment for health screening for vocational school starting September. This has brought up two points that I feel moves to post about. Firstly charges! I was told by the receptionist that it could be up.to £150. I didnt take this terribly seriously as she's a a child. A very healthy child, who has only ever had one doctors appointment since her pre school jabs, a very minor thing back in 2007! The surgery have received money for having her on there books every year since she was born. She has  hardly been a burden so imagine my surprise when after less than 25 mins in the surgery I was charged £80!!! More than 20 times my rate of pay! I need a stiff drink!

The second thing is, the doctor then said that she has just done another one for someone who is going to RBS , I think she meant WL and i s just wondering, how on earth have we trailed aeound the auditions this year   without realising that there was another girl from our tiny corner of Hampshire. If anyone on this forum would like to identify themselvesbto me as being from a village with inials A.H. would love to catch up and compare notes. Would have been nice to know when travelling around to auditionsx

Edited by along for the ride mum

Hi shocked at the rate a doctor charges it cant take that much admin work to tick a few boxes!! Re the other child it maybe that she/he is a different age to your daughter and at separate auditions so your paths have never crossed and also they maybe dont frequent the forums either!  We live in a village and have bumped into people in the most obscure places and have even spoke to a couple once in the local spar who were abroad in the same place at the same time and we didnt even bump into each other!!  Good luck in your quest to find them!

Ax

• Like 1

We were so disgusted at the hands free medical our ds got, we changed doctors. Very probably saved dhs life as the old one got struck off..... new one spotted signs of life threatening condition when it occurred later on.

Another reason to be grateful to ballet!

Blimey hfbrew!  I can't complain about the service, she was fairly thorough and hands on but as only the second time dd has needed her services since the usual baby stuff, I would have thought that she would have charged a little less, they do get paid for having her registered there and I have never been one of thesums who takes child to the doctors for a cold! As the charge is at the doctors descretion, I feel a little cheated. 

I payed £50 last week. £25 for the examination & £25 for the certificate, it should have been for a 20min private apt, but we were in & out within 10mins! One word of advise is to double check what the doctor has put on the certificate before you send it to the RBS as when I went to collect my DD's a few days later the doctor had put on it that she was 'on long term medication' (which I knew she wasn't!) when I phoned to speak to the doctor about it she apologised & said it should say 'she's on NO long term medication!!!!

We were told that we had to pay the full amount, over £100, as DS had not been to see the Dr for years.

So much for them being healthy.

I had got a copies of the medical health forms from Rambert, ENBS, Elmhurst & Central before he went for his medical at the GP as it would have cost extra each time for GP to fill another form out.

We were charged for ours too whilst many other I know we're done under good will. I wrote letters stating that this was necessary for a school placement and was part of our daughters 'special need' - the bill hasn't been resent (yet !) although my Gp supported us as it took all of two minutes , his practise manager did not agree! I later found out her daughter hadn't been successful in auditions in the past and I did wonder if it was a bit of sour grapes !

When we had to get doctors letter for W/L for DS dr didn't even see him we had a chat over the phone then he just wrote a letter to say he was fit. No charge. This was also just 6 months after DS had brain surgery so I guess he knew us well. For 6 form the school nurse did them.

• Like 2

Where I live you have to have a medical every year for school,any clubs or hobbies schools, any sports clubs and dance schools.When you have 3 kids that do lots of different hobbies ect at lots of different schools it costs a fortune!And the Medicals are not the same for each school!!!

Gosh I hadn't realised how lucky we had been as our GP did the medical forms for free, and was lovely about it all too! I knew we had a fantastic GP but I am appreciating him even more now! I just presumed that not charging would be "typical" practice ....£150 is shocking!

• Like 1

I had the same £105 for medical, at the surgery she was registered with near the vocational school she s at . So I decided to see if it was cheaper to get one privately while she was home for the holidays and I got it free with a doctor who did nt agree with charging :)

Where I live you have to have a medical every year for school,any clubs or hobbies schools, any sports clubs and dance schools.When you have 3 kids that do lots of different hobbies ect at lots of different schools it costs a fortune!And the Medicals are not the same for each school!!!

Here too except we get all the money back from our "NHS" system and "private" health insurance. Even though it's called private, everybody more or less, has one...

• Like 1

We were charged £25 to sign a form. The doctor did not ask to see DD and just wrote that she never attends surgery so must be fit enough!

If I did this in my own professional life I would be struck off and have no clients!

For your £100 + you could almost get one of those full body screenings privately!

This highway robbery may be easier to swallow if I thought the fees paid were going back into the NHS to help those in need but I suspect it will be just to line the pockets of the medical practices!

• Like 2