A new low for the Royal Opera marketing team

I am offended by this latest video on Instagram advertising an opera  …

Intentional spoiler, PLEASE don’t watch if mutilation of cuddly toys 🧸 will affect you too.   I wish I could unsee. I stopped watching partway.  It’s too close to the horrors being inflicted on innocent children worldwide. 

I will email the ‘house’.  

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C6d6kc9hPT2/?igsh=ZGN1MWh6a3Excm8y

"Sorry, this page isn't available.

The link you followed may be broken, or the page may have been removed."

??  Perhaps someone had second thoughts.
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

You're right, FionaM, that's horrible. Thanks for emailing- I agree with you. Absolutely not the way to get under 30s into watching opera or ballet at ROH. 

nor the way to endear over 50s like me to the house either! 

Another low point after the ‘selling dance merchandise’ post on International Dance Day 🙄

Edited by FionaM
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

For the record, I'm not offended in the slightest and I'm looking forward to seeing the opera in which the toys are used as part of the set on Saturday.

I also am not offended. I just

don’t think it is well-conceived or well-judged marketing. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bangorballetboy said:

I'm looking forward to seeing the opera in which the toys are used as part of the set on Saturday.

I'm a little confused here: it's double Swan Lake on Saturday, isn't it? 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, FionaM said:

nor the way to endear over 50s like me to the house either! 

Another low point after the ‘selling dance merchandise’ post on International Dance Day 🙄

I guess a lot of people complained and reported the video. It started playing itself before I could even move or hide it. As you say,  one wishes one could unsee it. That's the quickest I've ever seen a video get taken down. Ick. 

I must say I'm surprised that they forgot to post an actual dancing post on International Dance Day. Usually they put up one. After all, they are not short of great clips, and could have used the opportunity to put up one of Winter's Tale Act 2 or Rhapsody which has some nice cheery dancing, and said "Happy International Dance Day! Come and see the Royal Ballet dancing in Winter's Tale/Rhapsody, part of the Ashton celebration " etc. 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, alison said:

I'm a little confused here: it's double Swan Lake on Saturday, isn't it? 

You're correct. Swan Lakes on the main stage, opera in the Linbury

3 hours ago, BeauxArts said:

I felt exactly the same.  Not offended, but definitely not what I expected - or particularly wanted - to see this morning. 😳

20 hours ago, bangorballetboy said:

For the record, I'm not offended in the slightest and I'm looking forward to seeing the opera in which the toys are used as part of the set on Saturday.

I’ve arrived too late to check out the offending video - but it seems it was more energetic than this double bill, one of the least engaging shows I have seen at the ROH.

A side note: for the performance I went to, online showed sold out (or as good as) whereas a good third of the seats were in fact unoccupied. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, BeauxArts said:

I agree. I haven't got a ticket anyway, and this video certainly wouldn't entice me into purchasing one.