Sir Andrew Davis has died

Very sad to hear this.  Also very sad to see that the BBC, despite its links to him, didn't see his death worthy of a mention on the news this evening.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Conductor and wearer of woolly jumpers.

Soprano Christine Goerke posted a lovely sequence of photos of herself and Sir Andrew battling it out with light sabres.

Retired violinist Tasmin Little posted a tribute. I always associate the two of them, as he was conducting the first time I heard her play. I was eventually lucky enough to hear her play Vaughan Williams' The Lark Ascending under his baton with the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, alison said:

Very sad to hear this.  Also very sad to see that the BBC, despite its links to him, didn't see his death worthy of a mention on the news this evening.

It was one of the main stories on the BBC News website for most of yesterday (article featuring a lovely picture including my ear and hair!).

• Like 1

Very sad news.

I worked briefly at Glyndebourne when Sir Andrew was Music Director there, although he was very busy as he was also chief conductor of the BBC Symphony Orchestra at the time. I can concur with the comments made elsewhere that, as a person, he was approachable, down-to-earth, affable and had a great sense of humour.

I have a wonderful memory of the end of the dress rehearsal of the production of 'Pelleas et Melisande', conducted by Sir Andrew, where the music died away to absolute silence for several seconds: so spellbound were we the audience by the music and the music making, that one wanted to 'hold' the magic of the moment. For me, the ultimate accolade for a performing artist.

RIP

• Like 7

I turned Radio 3 on when I got into the office this afternoon: they were in the middle of a tribute to him.  Sometime around 2.15 if you want to look for it on iPlayer.  Doubtless there will be more on In Tune at 5 pm.

• Thanks 1