Northern Ballet CAT & Associates Final Auditions 2024

Hi hive mind - my tiny dancer has been invited to a final audition for the Northern Ballet (Leeds) CAT programme.

We really liked the idea of the associates programme and were absolutely stunned to have received a callback for CAT (in a positive way)

I’ve read up on the website but I wondered if anyone has any experience of this final round they can share and experience of the programme overall?

I’m not sure what to expect as I’ve heard mixed information - including that if you dance with CAT you have to leave your current dance school?

Can anyone out there settle the nerves of some very inexperienced first timers?

Has anyone yet heard back on associates ? 

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can’t help, but my son has also been called back for Cat and associate. The cat looks like he will be joining an existing cat lesson with his age group? It is a week night which I wasn’t expecting. He is 12 so a bit older. Any advice from anyone what he can expect? Thanks 

On 13/03/2024 at 12:35, Dancenewbie said:

Can’t help, but my son has also been called back for Cat and associate. The cat looks like he will be joining an existing cat lesson with his age group? It is a week night which I wasn’t expecting. He is 12 so a bit older. Any advice from anyone what he can expect? Thanks 

That’s interesting, I also wasn’t expecting the audition to be during a class. My daughter is currently in NB Junior associates program, and we were told the second audition would be on Sunday, but after her JA assessment they offered her the in class audition. 

My daughter is 11, in year 6. Is your son’s class on Tuesday? My daughters is at 16:50 - 18:50, wonder if they’re grouping them? 

Yes I was also planning on it being a Sunday as I’m sure that’s what it said originally.

he has an associate recall on Sunday (he’s never done associates before) and then the Cat one on weds 4.50-6.50

We were told last year they couldn’t do CAT and JA, because of timetable conflicts. They could do CAT foundation and associates. And they’re happy for them to do RBS associates and CAT I believe. 

Good afternoon, 

New poster here.. my daughter auditioned on the 3rd March for the inter associate program in Leeds. 

We’ve not heard anything back following the audition and wondered if anyone else has yet? 

I know they said before 15th April but wondered if it’s usually around that date or before. 

thanks everyone! 

• Jan McNulty changed the title to Northern Ballet CAT & Associates Final Auditions 2024
27 minutes ago, DanceDad17 said:

Good afternoon, 

New poster here.. my daughter auditioned on the 3rd March for the inter associate program in Leeds. 

We’ve not heard anything back following the audition and wondered if anyone else has yet? 

I know they said before 15th April but wondered if it’s usually around that date or before. 

thanks everyone! 

Hi. 
They haven’t let the current JAs who are due to move into inter know if they have places yet either. So I imagine they’ll do it all at the same time. Last year when we were waiting for JA they emailed exactly a week from the audition date, but with Easter this year it could be after that potentially. 

My son auditioned for inter I think? He went on the 3rd and then back Sunday just gone for the recall. He said the second one was a bit harder than the first he thought. He enjoyed it though 😊

he said he made few mistakes so no idea if that matters.

our letters says will find out by the 12th April 

Edited by Dancenewbie
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for this! I appreciate the update. 

The initial email for inter said that they wouldn’t be doing a recall for that group, which is why I was unsure of the status of not hearing anything yet. 

I guess we will just have to wait it out :)

Just now, Dancing_Mae said:

My daughter is the same. Went to her audition on 3rd March and was offered the final audition a few days later. Now waiting for results for final 🤞

Fingers crossed!!!! Is that for junior or inter? 😀

My son has his cat audition tonight. He’s a bit nervous as he has only done local classses no associates etc before so he’s hoping he can keep up if it is a with a current cat class?? Any idea what to expect from anyone 

My daughter had her in class audition yesterday. She was also really nervous. She said it was a lot harder than her usual ballet class, ‘more intense’ in her words, but that she really enjoyed it. She could definitely see a difference in her own abilities and the children who were already CAT students, but I assume they’re looking for kids they think they can catch up, and they must have seen something in them at the first auditions. But who knows. I hope your son does well, and enjoys himself :) there were 6 auditioning yesterday, and around 12 already in the class. 

• Like 1

We had our final CAT audition yesterday too - two hour class! Absolutely great feedback about the environment and the teacher and found it a really enjoyable experience: was very excited to have just been asked back and sees it as an achievement in itself which is great. Does anyone know how long the cat classes actually last (is it three hours)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Diagon said:

My daughter had her in class audition yesterday. She was also really nervous. She said it was a lot harder than her usual ballet class, ‘more intense’ in her words, but that she really enjoyed it. She could definitely see a difference in her own abilities and the children who were already CAT students, but I assume they’re looking for kids they think they can catch up, and they must have seen something in them at the first auditions. But who knows. I hope your son does well, and enjoys himself :) there were 6 auditioning yesterday, and around 12 already in the class. 

Thankyou for this. Yes my son is doing level 2/3 so I imagine some of them may have been dancing with northern ballet for quite a while so I imagine will

be much better as my son only does 1 ballet class a weeks at his local school. I guess he just has to try his best and see. I guess they know what they are looking for (whereas I know nothing about ballet!!🤣🤣) Good luck to your daughter. Hope she gets the news she wants 

Edited by Dancenewbie

I think when the girls went round introducing themselves they said the class finished at 7.30. But 7.50 makes more sense really if it’s 10 hours of training spread over 3 lessons, so I probably misheard. 

I was told the normal class if he did it next year was 4.50 to 7.25.

my son is having to leave school early

today to get there as we aren’t in Leeds, so I guess it’s good to see how things would work logistically (or not) if they were lucky enough to get picked 

Edited by Dancenewbie