London children’s ballet results 2023

Demi

Hi Demi,

I assume that you’re waiting for preliminary audition notification. The LCB are very efficient and notify everyone simultaneously, so you should hear with everyone else. 

Good luck.

My daughter danced in the original ‘Secret Garden’ in 2007. She thoroughly enjoyed the experience. 

• Like 1

That is such a long wait!!! I feel for you. DD did her last LCB final audition in 2017 (how quickly time has passed 😱) and got her letter on the Friday morning - five days after her audition. I’m sure they email results now, shame as getting a letter in the post was very special. Good luck ☘️

Edited by margarite

2 hours ago, BallerinaMum13 said:

Last year it was about 10 (calendar) days after the final audition. LCB had a big fundraising event yesterday evening so I would guess that administratively they've also been busy with that (it is a small team). Good luck! 

I think it was a bit quicker last year as show was in April and casting was done only couple weeks after finals. 

This year the show is in July and casting in early January- so I do suspect early next week, but maybe sooner - fingers crossed and good luck.  

Edited by Mum of unicorn dancer

17 hours ago, LGBalletTaxi said:

I asked Lara and she said due to the gala performance it would take longer than normal. She said would hear by 4th December which is Monday. 

Thank you for the update @LGBalletTaxi

its quite painful waiting - even more so when I am seeing many insta posts with lots of LCB children involved in the gala performance this week. Do you happen to know how these children were selected? Maybe I am over thinking it now but I'm starting to  wonder if they actually have a cast in place already...🤷‍♀️

Demi - my daughter has been offered the same (touring company & waiting list). She really had her heart set on the main company so is a bit disappointed, but she also knows how fortunate she is that it isn’t a ‘no’.  The standard is so high . . .

I suspect that occasionally waiting list places do come up, but I doubt there’s much movement as the main company places are so prized!

I’m sure the touring company will be a great experience for them. 

My DD was also offered touring company and as you @RemiM although she knows how high the standard was and is def grateful for the place, she was also slightly disappointed. I do wonder if the majority of main company places went to those who did it last year, especially as @BallerinaMum13 mentioned they were still currently active with the gala this week. Either way, touring company is still a great achivement and I am sure will be a great opportunity.

In terms of waitlist, I suspect there will be very little movement on main company, but I wouldn't be surprised if slots open up for touring. It's quite a different offering to the main and I didn't realise there was a cost for this as well which may not suit all....

Edited by Ballet_dancer2020
Typo

Hi

My child did LCB for the past 2 shows so I thought I'd share what I know, she decided not to audition this year.

My experience is that LCB audition fresh every year with knowledge of the roles available and last year some dancers didn't get into main company who were in it the previous year, so there isn't a set company. However the principals were mainly a core group of known dancers coming up through LCB through the years with parents who do lots of fundraising and help the company run during the productions. I suppose this is understandable, it is a charity, there is a lot riding on the production and it has to be really good to sell well at the Peacock etc.

Some dancers do drop out of main company after casting - (if they are not happy with their role, if they suddenly have clashing opportunities) - this led to a handful of dancers being invited into main company from the touring company last year so there can definitely be movement after casting.

My daughter decided not to audition this year as it is SO time consuming and they have to commit to every rehearsal. Also she didn't have a lot to do in the main company last year and she decided that it wasn't worth it for the time it took and all she had to give up to commit to it - she was in scene 1 and then around scene 14, which gives you an idea. The rehearsal schedule was a lot for just that and very repetitive.

Hope this is helpful.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Betty said:

Hi

My child did LCB for the past 2 shows so I thought I'd share what I know, she decided not to audition this year.

My experience is that LCB audition fresh every year with knowledge of the roles available and last year some dancers didn't get into main company who were in it the previous year, so there isn't a set company. However the principals were mainly a core group of known dancers coming up through LCB through the years with parents who do lots of fundraising and help the company run during the productions. I suppose this is understandable, it is a charity, there is a lot riding on the production and it has to be really good to sell well at the Peacock etc.

Some dancers do drop out of main company after casting - (if they are not happy with their role, if they suddenly have clashing opportunities) - this led to a handful of dancers being invited into main company from the touring company last year so there can definitely be movement after casting.

My daughter decided not to audition this year as it is SO time consuming and they have to commit to every rehearsal. Also she didn't have a lot to do in the main company last year and she decided that it wasn't worth it for the time it took and all she had to give up to commit to it - she was in scene 1 and then around scene 14, which gives you an idea. The rehearsal schedule was a lot for just that and very repetitive.

Hope this is helpful.

Thank you so much for the insight @Betty. As a newcomer to LCB this is really helpful, thank you.

3 hours ago, Ballet_dancer2020 said:

My DD was also offered touring company and as you @RemiM although she knows how high the standard was and is def grateful for the place, she was also slightly disappointed. I do wonder if the majority of main company places went to those who did it last year, especially as @BallerinaMum13 mentioned they were still currently active with the gala this week. Either way, touring company is still a great achivement and I am sure will be a great opportunity.

In terms of waitlist, I suspect there will be very little movement on main company, but I wouldn't be surprised if slots open up for touring. It's quite a different offering to the main and I didn't realise there was a cost for this as well which may not suit all....

My daughter did not get a place at all last year (she made it to the finals) but she did get a main company place this year. Just giving this as an example to show that they did offer places who children who were not in either of the companies in the past. 

• Like 1

Congratulations to those who got a place, irrespective of which company. I think they are both lovely experiences. LCB is a charity and they do tremendous work to bring ballet into all communities around London and I think it is great for the touring companies to be part of that. There's something to learn from every opportunity and the silver lining is also that the rehearsals are not that intense. My daughter is having to give up a lot to be in the main company and it may well be for just a very small part. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BallerinaMum13 said:

Congratulations to those who got a place, irrespective of which company. I think they are both lovely experiences. LCB is a charity and they do tremendous work to bring ballet into all communities around London and I think it is great for the touring companies to be part of that. There's something to learn from every opportunity and the silver lining is also that the rehearsals are not that intense. My daughter is having to give up a lot to be in the main company and it may well be for just a very small part. 

Congratulations to your daughter, I hope she has a wonderful experience 😊

Also to add more info from what I know about the tours - the tours before the production will do last years show (Snow White) in a condensed version and the one after the main production does the new show. The tours are condensed ballets, so possibly more of a chance to get a main part and do more dancing than in the main production. Your child may have been picked for tour with an eye on them dancing Snow White or the Wicked Queen for example. The LCB staff are really lovely and nurturing. It was one of the tour casts that mainly featured at the LCB fundraising gala this week. So what I'm saying is for those disappointed to get a tour space  (although delighted to get anything at all I'm sure), it's possibly a better outcome than you think.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Betty said:

Also to add more info from what I know about the tours - the tours before the production will do last years show (Snow White) in a condensed version and the one after the main production does the new show. The tours are condensed ballets, so possibly more of a chance to get a main part and do more dancing than in the main production. Your child may have been picked for tour with an eye on them dancing Snow White or the Wicked Queen for example. The LCB staff are really lovely and nurturing. It was one of the tour casts that mainly featured at the LCB fundraising gala this week. So what I'm saying is for those disappointed to get a tour space  (although delighted to get anything at all I'm sure), it's possibly a better outcome than you think.

Thank you again @Betty we also watched a lovely promo on you tube this afternoon on the tours and it did look like it would be a really rewarding experience. DD really looking forward to it now and can't wait to see which tour she will be on! 😊

On 01/12/2023 at 08:09, RemiM said:

Demi - my daughter has been offered the same (touring company & waiting list). She really had her heart set on the main company so is a bit disappointed, but she also knows how fortunate she is that it isn’t a ‘no’.  The standard is so high . . .

I suspect that occasionally waiting list places do come up, but I doubt there’s much movement as the main company places are so prized!

I’m sure the touring company will be a great experience for them. 

Hi that is wonderful! Yes we were a bit the same. Slightly disappointed that she didn’t make the main cast but it must mean our girls were really close if they have been put on the company waiting list. I think the tour will be a very good experience for them 😊

• Like 1