Nicoletta Manni appointed Etoile

Tonight at la Scala, at the end of a performance of Cranko's Onegin with Roberto Bolle, the wonderful ballerina Nicoletta Manni has been appointed Etoile.

So happy for this great artist, who is unfortunately not famous outside Italy despite an amazing talent.

• Like 6

55 minutes ago, alison said:

That's rather late on in her career, isn't it - or am I confusing her with someone else?  Congratulations to her, anyway.

She is 32 I think. Étoile is an uncommon title in La Scala: I think only Ferri, Bolle, Murru and Zakharova had the title recently. 

Prima Ballerina/ Prima Ballerino are the ones who dance principal roles.

7 hours ago, annamicro said:

She is 32 I think. Étoile is an uncommon title in La Scala: I think only Ferri, Bolle, Murru and Zakharova had the title recently. 

Yes, it's a very special title at La Scala. The only ones for quite some time were Bolle and Murru, with Ferri in fact having been named the theatre's prima ballerina assoluta in, I think, 1992, and Zakharova (who held the title for about 10 years) no longer associated with the company - indeed, the only Zakharova mention on its website is now second violin Olga Zakharova 🤭

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Sophoife said:

Yes, it's a very special title at La Scala. The only ones for quite some time were Bolle and Murru, with Ferri in fact having been named the theatre's prima ballerina assoluta in, I think, 1992, and Zakharova (who held the title for about 10 years) no longer associated with the company - indeed, the only Zakharova mention on its website is now second violin Olga Zakharova 🤭

Thank you for these explanations. Now I understand better why Mr Meyer said he was making an exception to the Scala Ballet usual rules

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

She's been a principal since 2014, and according to the story on Sky Italy (thanks, elderly Italian lady I live with!) she and Bolle are the only current étoiles. It requires trades unions to all agree, as it's a title outside the "normal" hierarchy and pay structure.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 08/11/2023 at 20:19, annamicro said:

I was surprised at the title, which I’ve heard of only at POB. Congratulations to Manni, who I’ve enjoyed on various DVDs & live in Ratmansky’s Swan Lake.