English National Ballet School - yr12

WhereToNow

Hi All, I’ve tried the search option but there seems to be very little topics about the school.  Maybe I am searching incorrectly!

We have experience of the ENB Junior programme they had, but not much else.

If anyone has information they could share or point me to the Threads that already discuss this, that would be lovely.

Happy for people to DM too.

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, WhereToNow said:

Hi All, I’ve tried the search option but there seems to be very little topics about the school.  Maybe I am searching incorrectly!

We have experience of the ENB Junior programme they had, but not much else.

If anyone has information they could share or point me to the Threads that already discuss this, that would be lovely.

Happy for people to DM too.

Thanks!

Hi @WhereToNow,

There are a few ENBS parents on here: is there anything specific that you need to know?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SpideyDad said:

Hi @WhereToNow,

There are a few ENBS parents on here: is there anything specific that you need to know?

Thank you!

I had emailed the school to try and find some info.

I know there is no accommodation provided, but do they recommend anywhere?  If so what kind of cost would we be looking at?

Was there any support towards fees? I know about DADA, but was there any other help available?

Are they still at the building in Fulham?

Anything else that you think may be helpful to know!

Thank you 😊 

Edited by WhereToNow
ended to early!

40 minutes ago, WhereToNow said:

Thank you!

I had emailed the school to try and find some info.

I know there is no accommodation provided, but do they recommend anywhere?  If so what kind of cost would we be looking at?

Was there any support towards fees? I know about DADA, but was there any other help available?

Are they still at the building in Fulham?

Thanks

No problem @WhereToNow:

Accommodation: they pointed us in the direction of Lightfoot Halls, about 10-15 mins walk down the King's Road and DD is there for a second year now. There are options for single and shared rooms. They put ENBS students together. The independence that comes from that has been really good for her - she's grown up fast! Some other students room nearby or commute in.

DaDa was vital for us, but we didn't investigate getting any further help. As you'd expect, the location means the accommodation is expensive, but it is a great place to live, with lots going on and plenty of opportunities to see how the 'other half' lives.

They are still on Hortensia Road in Chelsea/Fulham.

Edited by SpideyDad
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SpideyDad said:

No problem @WhereToNow:

Accommodation: they pointed us in the direction of Lightfoot Halls, about 10-15 mins walk down the King's Road and DD is there for a second year now. There are options for single and shared rooms. They put ENBS students together. The independence that comes from that has been really good for her - she's grown up fast! Some other students room nearby or commute in.

DaDa was vital for us, but we didn't investigate getting any further help. As you'd expect, the location means the accommodation is expensive, but it is a great place to live, with lots going on and plenty of opportunities to see how the 'other half' lives.

They are still on Hortensia Road in Chelsea/Fulham.

Thanks!  This is exactly what I needed 😊

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SpideyDad said:

Thanks @Kerfuffle - I hope DD is enjoying it: if I remember correctly, the early weeks are intense!

Hi Spidey! DD is settling in fine. I’m amazed how quickly they adapt! It is intense, you’re right but all good so far ! 

@WhereToNow The halls are great, very clean and the people at reception are friendly and helpful. Chelsea is very safe and as Spidey says, it’s fascinating to see how the other half live - reality TV stars frequently spotted ! 🤣

• Thanks 1

Hi Lightfoot Halls are off the Kings Rd in Chelsea so are pretty pricey - the cheapest option is sharing a room at £235 but there are single rooms which go up to about £450 with some options inbetween. My DD’s room has a shower and a kitchen. The main problem is getting a room because by the time you find out you have a place at the school there aren’t many rooms to choose from because they are already booked for the following year. There seem to be other options but Lightfoot is great because it’s so close and feels very safe. There are large kitchens you can use as well. 

• Like 1

Up to £450…. Is that per week?? 😱

I’ve often wondered if you could actually stay in a combination of hotels/Airbnb’s premier inns /travelodges etc cheaper as at least you wouldn’t pay for holiday periods or any nights you went home (assuming family in UK) Plus think of the loyalty scheme points/air miles etc!! They’d probably cover the costs of one week in 12!  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sunrise81 said:

If it is per week....thats ENB off our list. No way we can afford that 😫 

There are options for shared rooms that are about half the price, but yikes, That is expensive!

I think we'll be considering a shared flat nearby for next year.

10 hours ago, Swanwings said:

Does anyone know if ENBS have a waiting list situation after sending out results? I know Central does but Ive never heard of ENBS having a waiting list.

They do: there's always an element of seeing what offers from which schools are accepted at that time.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, SpideyDad said:

There are options for shared rooms that are about half the price, but yikes, That is expensive!

I think we'll be considering a shared flat nearby for next year.

Even if accommodation is cheaper, with tuition even with Dada it's unaffordable :(

Unfortunately I think £230 a week is pretty  cheap for central London and Chelsea is a particularly nice location. You might find that you get something towards maintenance - I think that is separate. Ballet training is expensive everywhere but the plus side is the training is great and being at ENBS you are connected to the industry - they regularly see ENB performances and it’s all related to their academics. I would see where your DC gets in and then look at the finances rather than limiting her options.

I think in the first year the ballet class is at 8:45 and the last class will be over at 6pm. There are several kids who commute an hour or so to get there each way. It’s a jam packed schedule  after the first couple of weeks. 

Edited by Kerfuffle
Making it more accurate !
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, sunrise81 said:

Even if accommodation is cheaper, with tuition even with Dada it's unaffordable :(

Us too, which is why I wanted to know exactly what we would be looking at.

My DD will still audition for the experience.

I know we have DCs at the same school,  I’ll be happy to share more info once we have been through the process this year 😊

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WhereToNow said:

Us too, which is why I wanted to know exactly what we would be looking at.

My DD will still audition for the experience.

I know we have DCs at the same school,  I’ll be happy to share more info once we have been through the process this year 😊

That would be fab! Thank you 😊 My summer holiday next year will be spent getting all the info we need for upper auditions 😫

• Like 1

I think there are other home stay options which might be worth investigating because they could be cheaper. I doubt that many of the options end up that much cheaper but maybe someone has made a spread sheet comparing them all? (The only option I can think of that really is cheaper is if you are Scottish and apply for RCS - no fees!) 

• Like 1

Thanks.  I’ve been doing my research for some years and there are options cheaper than ENBS, no one is looking for free (although that would be very handy!)

ENBS is one of the most expensive for training, mainly because it doesn’t seem to have the same funding options as the others, of the same cost.

There are also schools where the training comes in under the £10k mark.  Pricey accommodation becomes less of a challenge.

Based on the information on the ENBS website, I’m guessing that scholarships & bursaries are saved for those who stand out at auditions.  Rather than those who would struggle financially, which is the case in some of the other schools.

It’s just not that obvious to me from their website, and they didn’t reply to my enquiry last year.

I guess we will find out if she is successful!

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, WhereToNow said:

Thanks.  I’ve been doing my research for some years and there are options cheaper than ENBS, no one is looking for free (although that would be very handy!)

ENBS is one of the most expensive for training, mainly because it doesn’t seem to have the same funding options as the others, of the same cost.

There are also schools where the training comes in under the £10k mark.  Pricey accommodation becomes less of a challenge.

Based on the information on the ENBS website, I’m guessing that scholarships & bursaries are saved for those who stand out at auditions.  Rather than those who would struggle financially, which is the case in some of the other schools.

It’s just not that obvious to me from their website, and they didn’t reply to my enquiry last year.

I guess we will find out if she is successful!

I guess the places offering degrees are probably the cheapest because it’s more like regular unis with a student loans. ENBS has the Dada which as far as I know the other most common form of funding, which can include help with maintenance too.   A friend of mine  is paying very little over all  fees (around 1.5k a year) because of her family income. Of course London is a very expensive city to live in but if you are able to share a room it costs the same as the average uni halls these days elsewhere.

Most performing arts schools offer scholarships to those students they want to attract the most - bursaries are according to need. I don’t think ENBS is any different to the other schools. 

On 18/09/2023 at 09:15, Kerfuffle said:

I guess the places offering degrees are probably the cheapest because it’s more like regular unis with a student loans. ENBS has the Dada which as far as I know the other most common form of funding, which can include help with maintenance too.   A friend of mine  is paying very little over all  fees (around 1.5k a year) because of her family income. Of course London is a very expensive city to live in but if you are able to share a room it costs the same as the average uni halls these days elsewhere.

Most performing arts schools offer scholarships to those students they want to attract the most - bursaries are according to need. I don’t think ENBS is any different to the other schools. 

Ah interesting to know about your friend.

My knowledge comes from Elmhurst - It’s funding with DaDa but then you are helped financially by the school funds depending on your household income - which ‘almost’ replicates MDS funding that you get in Lower.  I couldn’t see this as an offer from ENBS.

I shall remain positive!

The girls used to be able to stay at Queen Alexandra House in Kensington. It was affordable at the time with a variety of rooms. All the ENBS girls were along the same corridor. Meals were included but quite often the girls weren’t back in time for the evening - kitchens were also available for them to self cater.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Hi, just a quick question regarding the course at ENB.  From the timetable there is no time to do distance learning for A levels.  My DD is looking at plan B, post career options - possibly physio/sprts injury etc, which would need probably need biology.  I saw on the website the diploma course includes Anatomy - can anyone give me an idea of what this entails?

1 hour ago, WhereToNow said:

Hi, just a quick question regarding the course at ENB.  From the timetable there is no time to do distance learning for A levels.  My DD is looking at plan B, post career options - possibly physio/sprts injury etc, which would need probably need biology.  I saw on the website the diploma course includes Anatomy - can anyone give me an idea of what this entails?

Consulting with DD and DW, they have quite a bit of focus on it in year 1. DD quite enjoyed it but didn't find it too taxing, having done Biology and PE at GCSE. A lot of naming bones and muscles, but possibly not enough to mean that other qualifications aren't needed, should plan B need to come into play. I understand that it's something some dancers look at later.

It's probably worth talking to the school and a careers advisor.

Best of luck with it all! We remember it well:  it's such a roller-coaster ride until you know what's happening!🍀🩰

Edited by SpideyDad
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SpideyDad said:

Consulting with DD and DW, they have quite a bit of focus on it in year 1. DD quite enjoyed it but didn't find it too taxing, having done Biology and PE at GCSE. A lot of naming bones and muscles, but possibly not enough to mean that other qualifications aren't needed, should plan B need to come into play. I understand that it's something some dancers look at later.

It's probably worth talking to the school and a careers advisor.

Best of luck with it all! We remember it well:  it's such a roller-coaster ride until you know what's happening!🍀🩰

Thank you! much appreciated 🙂

• 3 weeks later...