RIP Michael Parkinson

Sim

Michael Parkinson has died at the age of 88.  He had a good innings.  He was the last of the intelligent interviewers, who didn't make it all about himself, but about those he interviewed.  His interviews with Muhammad Ali and so many others are simply unforgettable.  I hope that somewhere up there they are all continuing the debates and discussions.  RIP Michael Parkinson.

• Like 7

The best interviewer, because he did his research and asked questions that meant the interviewees had to do more than just publicise their latest film/tv show/song or whatever.  I remember watching the Meg Ryan interview and thinking that here was someone who clearly didn't understand the Parky style of interview and was totally thrown by it.  

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Fonty said:

The best interviewer, because he did his research and asked questions that meant the interviewees had to do more than just publicise their latest film/tv show/song or whatever.  I remember watching the Meg Ryan interview and thinking that here was someone who clearly didn't understand the Parky style of interview and was totally thrown by it.  

That interview with Ryan was a real car crash.  I was watching it at the time and if she had been in front of me I'd have throttled her.  I remember Parky saying something to the effect of 'clearly Miss Ryan has decided not to answer any questions, so let's move on.'  Very restrained and professional of him!

On 24/08/2023 at 18:29, MAB said:

I stopped watching him sfter the infamous interview with Helen Mirren.

I don't know if people remember, but in her early career, Helen Mirren seemed to display her magnificent figure in the nude in every film she was in.