Help - new to pas de deux and potential language barrier

balletmania

What should one do if they haven't had prior pas de deux experience, but are placed in a grade with quite advanced pas de deux students, potentially in a school where there is a language barrier? Coming from a small studio background I have never done pas de deux. I'm have been accepted to a couple of schools but one of them (which in my opinion is the best one amongst those to which I have been accepted) is in Europe where a language barrier would be a further obstacle to communicating in pdd class... should I let the school know in advance? Should I ask to be placed in a lower level for pdd class only? Should I try to learn the language in a short period of time? Quite terrified and uncertain  what to do.

Would appreciate any and all advice/anecdotes!

xxx

Mime, smiles, trying to learn key words, watch demonstrations like a hawk!

But many young people across the world are educated in some level of English. It tends to be only us native English speakers who are the monoglots ... 

Toi toi toi

• Like 2

In my experience (not dance related) it depends on the country. In Germany, Holland and most of Scandinavia, English is taught to a high level and you will find it difficult to speak their language even if you can, as the minute they realise that you are a native English speaker they will insist on speaking English to you. In southern Europe English is not so widely spoken, though they will be friendly about your ignorance of their language. However, in France they will resent it if you do not make strenuous efforts to speak French - though if you do they will usually be friendly and help you out. 

Good luck!

• Like 1

Oh @balletmania - you poor thing, that the excitement and thrill of being offered a place is overshadowed by these fears.

It sounds as if you have concerns on two levels.  One being the language barrier - which may be a wider issue than just the pas de deus class if classes are taught in the local language.  The second is your concerns because you haven't done pas de deux before. 

I have no personal experience of this, but my thought is contact the school and tell them your concerns.  They will very probably find a way to smooth your path.  

And it would be wise to start to learn the language before you go.  Even if you only know a few words I am sure it will make your experience much more enjoyable.

• Like 5

Dear balletmania please do not let your worries overwhelm you. The school has offered you a place, therefore they believe in you. As other posters have said English is spoken widely thanks to films, music, the Internet etc. It might be useful to learn some basic phrases, hello, please, thank you which will be well received out and about. Within the school I am sure it will be fine and many teachers as well as students will help you.

I went to France (with just O level French) as a professional dancer in the corps de ballet, and soon became fluent.  Several years later I went to teach ballet at a Conservatoire in Spain, without speaking a word of the language  but soon learnt enough to get by. The joke was everyone told me I spoke Spanish with French accent rather than an English one!

• Like 3

Dear Kate_N, DVDfan, glowlight, and Pas de Quatre - thank you so much for your kind words and reassurances! I am somewhat new to balletcoforum and am glad to be joining such a warm community. I'm feeling a lot less fearful now about the prospect of attending the school.

The following reads a bit like a dump of all my anxiety-filled thoughts so please feel completely free to ignore - everyone has helped me enough already and I am sincerely grateful!

To elaborate on the language issue, my worries are twofold: firstly the fact that because the school is in Eastern Europe I'm not sure if the students there will be quite as fluent in English compared to people in, say, Germany. Also, I'm pretty sure that even though the school welcomes international students, the receptionist(?) person I have been corresponding with this whole time does not actually speak English (I've basically been getting by with the help of a friend who speaks the language, using Google translate, and being as taciturn as possible with the limited words I know), so to convey as elaborate a message as my concerns about pas de deux may be quite beyond my abilities.

Dear glowlight, you are right that I actually have 2 concerns all rolled into one, which is the PDD and the language barrier. As you mentioned the language thing will likely permeate my entire school experience and not just PDD class, but the reason I am worried about PDD in particular is that as you know it requires a bit more sophisticated communication, especially since my partner may very well be (at some point in the class) literally the only thing standing between me and a concussion.  Also, the thought of the partner getting frustrated with a mistake I'm making yet me not being able to understand how to fix it is quite nightmarish...

Young people in Eastern Europe will probably speak some English (and welcome the opportunity to speak more) - depends exactly where.  In some countries in Eastern Europe my DS experienced open hostility as a UK citizen - in others he was welcomed.  

Are there other English speakers in the school?  Also, crazy as it seems, does the town have a medical school that teaches in English?  DS has always found friends from the UK in towns where this is the case - many students who don't get the grades to study med. in the UK move abroad.

Regarding PDD - honesty is the best policy.  With your partner and with the school.  Tell your partner you haven't got much experience.  Ask for clarification.  Be explicit as to what help you need and when you need clarification. 

• Like 1

I’d be surprised if anyone seriously studying ballet in Central/Eastern Europe didn’t have enough English for you to get your point across.

PDD classes generally work up slowly to any lifts that would be dangerous and you should always be able to call a stop if you’re uncomfortable, language barrier or no.

I am guessing you are likely over 16? Very many students who train at local school & then go to vocational schools post 18 will have limited or no pas de deux experience as so many have few older male students & any experience gained at summer schools only. You have been accepted to train so that is now the job of the school - to train you. People will be there will varying levels of experience I am sure. Also, make dancers tend to have limited partner experience if the potentially dangerous lifts until older as strength & maturity required gif this. Any teacher will not want to put any student or partnership at risk of injury so they will likely pair you wisely & will instinctively see (& ask questions) about what experience you & partners do or don’t have & will teach you the basics first & at a pace that works. They will be on your side as will want you to succeed as that shows they are good teachers/good school!

Best of luck c

• Like 2

Peanut68 is right, they will teach you in an appropriate way. You can help prepare yourself by making sure you have good strength in the core, upper body and arms. Classical training doesn't always address this, so cross training, Pilates, holding planks & push ups are all good whether you are male or female. If traditional push ups are too hard, do them against a wall or by placing your hands a few steps up on a staircase.

• Like 1

Thank you meadowblythe, Colman, Peanut68, and Pas de Quatre - I really appreciate your help and advice! I'm a lot less worried now and feel much more ready to step foot into my first PDD class. Thanks to Pas de Quatre for your advice, I will work on cross-training before the school year starts.

x

• Like 3