How to clean satin ballet shoes?

Anniedancemum

Hi all, my daughter had a dance show at the weekend and her ballet shoes are absolutely filthy. They’re white satin split sole and they’re now grey with big black marks all over them, the stage was disgusting. Is there anything I can do with them or are they just fit for the bin? They still fit and have only been worn a handful of times so would really like to save them if I can. Thanks everyone. 

There are a couple of things you could try.

Something alcohol based, such as a liquid hand sanitizer or vodka. During the pandemic I bought a huge bottle of sanitizer from Muc Off, who usually manufacture bike and boat cleaners. I still have a little left and it is great for freshening up clothes and shoes. 

Alternatively wash the satin very carefully by hand. Put your hand in where the toes would be and using soap, washing up liquid or detergent wet the satin and gently rub. Avoid getting the soles too wet. Stuff with rags or kitchen roll and leave to dry.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I was advised Calamine Lotion, after DDs pointe shoes were very dirty after an outdoor photo shoot.  It worked surprisingly well.  Be careful not to soak through the material.  Allow it to dry properly before wear.

instructions below from google:

Calamine lotion works great as an overall pointe shoe cleaner, as its color closely resembles that of pink satin pointe shoes. Dab a cotton ball into a small amount of calamine lotion. Gently pat the cotton ball all over the pointe shoes, paying special attention to dirty areas.

• Thanks 1

Calamine works well on pink shoes, but this was an enquiry for white satin. The only problem with the calamine is that it produces a mat result, so no good if the shoes need the original shine. However for some ballets, the AD prefers less shine and requires everyone to put calamine on even if they are new shoes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone, I used some hand sanitiser and cotton wool first to try and get rid of the blackest stains. Then I’ve hand washed the top part using a white cloth and vanish whites powder. It seems to have got the worst if it off. They’re drying on the line now so fingers crossed they’ll be ok. 

• Like 3